• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump's Bullshit Trade Tantrums

Maine won't get any money. They didn't vote for Trump.

I thought you knew that...

WASHINGTON — The deal to avert tariffs that President Trump announced with great fanfare on Friday night consists largely of actions that Mexico had already promised to take in prior discussions with the United States over the past several months, according to officials from both countries who are familiar with the negotiations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/08/us/politics/trump-mexico-deal-tariffs.html

It is rather ingenious though. Manufacture a crisis, talk and sound tough and make over-the-top threats for the consumption of your rube base. When the other side appears to make concessions (that aren't actually concessions at all, but simply a few items that they had already agreed to do before your manufactured crisis), you triumphantly claim victory. Watch as your adoring fans play up your "brilliant" negotiating skills and believe that you've won another grand victory over your loser LibDem opponents. Profit.

It is rather ingenious though. Manufacture a crisis, talk and sound tough and make over-the-top threats for the consumption of your rube base. When the other side appears to make concessions (that aren't actually concessions at all, but simply a few items that they had already agreed to do before your manufactured crisis), you triumphantly claim victory. Watch as your adoring fans play up your "brilliant" negotiating skills and believe that you've won another grand victory over your loser LibDem opponents. Profit.

Insert this: Watch your political opponents hyperventilate at the prospects of your threat.

Insert this: Watch your political opponents hyperventilate at the prospects of your threat.

Good point. That's part of what thrills his supporters so much. Trumpite logic: If it makes LibDems mad, it must be good.

meanwhile Nancy has truly lost her mind:

“Lock her up!”
“If I win, I’m going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation
“Enemy of the people”
“Extraordinarily low IQ”
“He’s my kinda guy” (referencing GOP Rep who body slammed a reporter)
“Knock the crap out of them”
“I’d like to punch him in the face”

Who has lost his mind again?

Amazing what someone who claims to “not support” and “didn’t vote for” Trump choses to ignore what he says (in far more volume and intensity) and focuses on one statement from a Dem. Honest days work, Sailor.

“Lock her up!”
“If I win, I’m going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation
“Enemy of the people”
“Extraordinarily low IQ”
“He’s my kinda guy” (referencing GOP Rep who body slammed a reporter)
“Knock the crap out of them”
“I’d like to punch him in the face”

Who has lost his mind again?

Amazing what someone who claims to “not support” and “didn’t vote for” Trump choses to ignore what he says (in far more volume and intensity) and focuses on one statement from a Dem. Honest days work, Sailor.

^This. I'm visiting my parents in rural NC this weekend. An aunt and uncle dropped by to visit yesterday, and they all got a good, approving laugh out of Trump's nicknames for people, and they especially liked his most recent, "Negative Nancy." Right afterwards, with no sense of irony, they started slamming Pelosi for saying "bad things" about "our President" while he was overseas, and especially Pelosi's remark that he should be in prison. I couldn't resist pointing out how contradictory it was for them to think it was OK for Trump to give government leaders nasty nicknames, but not OK for his critics to slam him back. There was an awkward silence, and my uncle finally said "well, she just shouldn't be saying stuff like that about our president." Trumpites have no sense of a double standard whatsoever. If Trump insults or threatens or slams people it's just funny, if a LibDem responds it's an outrage to say that about our great POTUS!

Is Sailor your uncle?

LOL. He's more the BKF type, based on BKF inheriting his FIL's business and home and all that (he's now retired). Guy was born on third base and honestly thinks he hit a triple, and did it all by himself. My parents are conservatives too, but that particular aunt and uncle are much more to the right, even my dad says they're "out there" politically on some things. Real conspiracy, John Bircher-type stuff.

Last edited:
Trump would be in prison if he wasn’t president. That’s a simple fact.

^This. I'm visiting my parents in rural NC this weekend. An aunt and uncle dropped by to visit yesterday, and they all got a good, approving laugh out of Trump's nicknames for people, and they especially liked his most recent, "Negative Nancy." Right afterwards, with no sense of irony, they started slamming Pelosi for saying "bad things" about "our President" while he was overseas, and especially Pelosi's remark that he should be in prison. I couldn't resist pointing out how contradictory it was for them to think it was OK for Trump to give government leaders nasty nicknames, but not OK for his critics to slam him back. There was an awkward silence, and my uncle finally said "well, she just shouldn't be saying stuff like that about our president." Trumpites have no sense of a double standard whatsoever. If Trump insults or threatens or slams people it's just funny, if a LibDem responds it's an outrage to say that about our great POTUS!

I'm reading "Confederates in the Attic" currently. It's serving as a reminder that there is a yuge chasm between southern metro areas and the rural or small town South.

Back