• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump's Bullshit Trade Tantrums

Looks like Bush did this in 2002, and the Obama Dept of Commerce again hiked duties on Chinese steel in 2016 in response to China flooding the market with their unused steel and driving down prices, in a nutshell. It was widely reported, so Plamas little fit is, of course, fake news.

Well also like Palmas trolls often do, it exposes how dumb trumps plan is compared to predecessors. Slapping a targeted tariff on China makes sense, slapping a tariff globally and on all allies is as often stated dumb as shit.

how is possible that the President is able to, among other things, unilaterally apply massive tariffs. doesn't the Congress have to ratify treaties?

i guess it's not a treaty (obviously) but WTF

executive has way too much power. thanks Roosevelt

Mm

Well also like Palmas trolls often do, it exposes how dumb trumps plan is compared to predecessors. Slapping a targeted tariff on China makes sense, slapping a tariff globally and on all allies is as often stated dumb as shit.

Mz

For tariff CBA scorekeeping purposes, here's one for the "plus" column - 500 jobs returning to an Illinois town.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/07/us-...-bringing-back-jobs-ceo-on-trump-tariffs.html

I'm going to quote the last paragraph, just cause.

"Just think about the way the U.K. used to have a big manufacturing base. It went away. If you don't make stuff, you can't have a strong country. You can't protect yourself and you go by the way of Greece or maybe Puerto Rico," he added.

Yeah the UK has less than 1% of the world's population and produces 2.46% of the world's manufacturing output, which puts it seventh among all nations. Not even in the top 10 in population. I'd say they're doing OK. People are so ignorant. I googled all this info in less than 60 seconds but people just want to believe whatever fits their narrative.

You don't have to make the same stuff you did a hundred years ago. You can make new stuff.

how is possible that the President is able to, among other things, unilaterally apply massive tariffs. doesn't the Congress have to ratify treaties?

There's a loophole if it's for national security reasons.

Expect to see a lot of lawsuits pointing out that Trump has repeatedly said that the tariffs are because China is "screwing" us.

Mexico and Canada are exempt. So he's pretty much just slapping it on China again.

Mexico and Canada are exempt. So he's pretty much just slapping it on China again.

If you could, walk us through the purpose, timing, and intended outcomes as well as the lessons learned from previous tariffs that are going to be avoided this time because of the nuance of this administration’s tariffs. Thanks

Yeah the UK has less than 1% of the world's population and produces 2.46% of the world's manufacturing output, which puts it seventh among all nations. Not even in the top 10 in population. I'd say they're doing OK. People are so ignorant. I googled all this info in less than 60 seconds but people just want to believe whatever fits their narrative.

Yes, but in like 1788, the UK had like at least 95% of the world mechanized manufacturing and now they are down to just 2.46%. That's like a 92.5% drop in market share over a period of 240 years. They should have used tariffs.

That sums up the zeitgeist of 2018 as well any one sentence I've read.

Navarro is a clown.

How many jobs will be lost at Harley-Davidson? Levi's? Auto manufacturers? Bourbon manufacturers?

How much more will infrastructure building and repairs cost? How much less will be done due to cost? Thus costing jobs?

We only import 2.9% of our steel from China. Our biggest imports come from Canada.

Do you think South Korea (#3 seller to the US) will let us do the tariff and not have impact the potential meeting with North Korea?

Back