• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bracketology 2017

Jerry Palm's projections don't make any sense to me. Wake finally got back into the first four out (despite him having us in a play-in prior to the Duke loss and then dropping us at least 6-8 spots because we lost that game, by two) but is behind Georgia Tech who is the third team out (we're fourth). He's got Seton Hall ahead of us who has played an easier schedule, has the same record, and also only has two top fifty wins v. KP. Don't get that at all either. He's got Clemson as a 10 seed. Just bizarre.

Plenty of time left, but I think his projections are really odd at this stage.

I don't get the Seton Hall love, either. Most people have them ahead of Wake and I agree that there isn't a compelling reason why. That should correct itself by the end of the season.

Clemson is on their last legs. I'm predicting they lay an egg tomorrow at home against Syracuse, effectively ending their season.

Back in Lunardi's field. No Dayton, has us as a #11 seed playing Creighton in Orlando in the first round: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Yep.

Pros: Creighton is without their best player, don't have to go to Dayton
Cons: Florida is really good, the game would be in Orlando, Louisville is the 2 seed in that bracket (if we somehow got to the Sweet 16), and Duke is the 5 seed.

I'll take anything if we're in, but that bracket is a huge "no thanks" as far as matchups if we're actually in.

Manning does have a pretty good track record against Mike White in big games!

Orlando? Nice. I've actually never seen a Wake NCAAT game.

Why is Syracuse, at 7-4 in the league, in the "Next Four Out" category? Seems like they're more likely than any of Wake/Miami/Clemson/GT.

Why is Syracuse, at 7-4 in the league, in the "Next Four Out" category? Seems like they're more likely than any of Wake/Miami/Clemson/GT.

They have five losses that are worse than any of Wake's losses (Uconn, St. Johns, Virginia Tech, Georgetown, Boston College), they're worse on KenPom by 10+ spots than Wake, their RPI is 69th (nice) which is 41 spots worse than Wake, and they haven't played a particularly difficult schedule compared to other teams around the bubble.

Obviously it's early so it doesn't matter, but they wouldn't put is in a pod of 4 against a team we have already played (Bucknell).

Syracuse has had a solid last two weeks, but was real shaky to start the year. Losses against UConn, St. John's, and Boston College don't help their case.

Syracuse has the easiest ACC schedule by a lot. They play BC twice, Pitt twice, GT twice. The only team in the top half of the ACC that Cuse plays twice is L'ville. They still have two left with the Cards. If Cuse can beat L'ville in one of those games, Cuse will likely get in (they also play Duke a win over Duke would help as well). There was controversy when Cuse got in the NCAAs last year, and then the Orange went all of the way to the final 4 as a 10 seed (along the way, Cuse beat Gonzaga and UVA).

I would not want to have any of Syracuse right now. Looks like they are getting on the Final Four roll they got on last year. Remember they eliminated UVa in the Elite 8 to go to the Final Four and just busted them again this weekend with a great comeback.

Last edited:

The league record is completely meaningless in the eyes of the committee (correct me if I'm wrong)

Wake just has to grab one game where we are underdogs and that makes our case pretty strong. If we don't do that, I think the committee has every right to leave us out. It would be an interesting case study if kenpom finishes the year undefeated in regards to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If cuse gets to 11 ACC wins I'd have to imagine they'll dance. Anything else would be shaky

We must beat State and Clemson to have any chance.

Nah, need to beat State, Pittsburgh, and one of: @Clemson, @VPI, @Duke, @ND, Louisville to have a chance. If we lose at home to State or Pitt we would need at least two of the latter group and maybe even three given a loss to State or Pitt would be pretty easily our worst loss of the year.

Back