• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

Anybody else think it's weird that 63 Canadians were on a flight from Tehran to Ukraine?

Trudeau said it was a connecting flight.

"US sanctions have made it increasingly difficult to travel between Iran and Canada, and the Ukraine International Airlines flight from Tehran to Kiev and then to Toronto is popular because it is one of the most affordable options for the journey, said Younes Zangiabadi with the Iranian Canadian Congress."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51025579

Last edited:

Trudeau said it was a connecting flight.

"US sanctions have made it increasingly difficult to travel between Iran and Canada, and the Ukraine International Airlines flight from Tehran to Kiev and then to Toronto is popular because it is one of the most affordable options for the journey, said Younes Zangiabadi with the Iranian Canadian Congress."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51025579

Lots of Canadians with Iranian heritage. I think Ukraine is the cheapest connection.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. So Trump's foolishness helped get 63 Canadians killed.

Very sad that all those people got killed over Trump and the Ayatollah's ongoing dick-measuring contest.

Great piece from Tom Friedman: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/opinion/trump-iran-attack.html?action=click&module=MoreIn&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&action=click&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&contentCollection=Opinion

When I step back and get some distance on this latest clash between President Trump and Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, it becomes obvious to me that what we have here are two bald men fighting over a comb.

We have two old men, with old ideas, fighting over a country that neither should want — Iraq — and over a 20th-century resource — oil — that is decreasingly relevant to a 21st-century nation’s economy and for a strategic goal — to dominate the Middle East — that no sane leader should want to achieve, because all that you win is a bill.

In short, it’s just so much fury that will change so little.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. So Trump's foolishness helped get 63 Canadians killed.

The Iranians shot down a plane shortly after it took off from an airport in Tehran and it's somehow Trump's fault ?

Would you like to assign a percentage of the blame ? 10% ? 75% ? 100% ?

The Iranians shot down a plane shortly after it took off from an airport in Tehran and it's somehow Trump's fault ?

Would you like to assign a percentage of the blame ? 10% ? 75% ? 100% ?

You seem to think Iran just shoots down planes all the time for no reason.

You seem to think Iran just shoots down planes all the time for no reason.

No, I think it's 100% Iran's fault they shot this plane down.

ETA: The US faces terrorist threats from around the world every day and manages not to shoot down passenger jets as they fly out of our own airports.

Last edited:
I'm making a safe space around RJK. The rest of you guys, I'm going to treat with respect and consideration. This guy is just too fucking retarded to handle.

Would the Iranians have been shooting rockets if we hadn't Soliemani?

Sorry to use logic and actual events with you, but get back to your middle school sex "jokes".

Ranger, Ranger, Ranger, how dare you propose/share that acts of escalation like killing Soliemani have a direct impact on the shooting down of the plane.

We may have to put a "safe space" around you.

No, I think it's 100% Iran's fault they shot this plane down.

ETA: The US faces terrorist threats from around the world every day and manages not to shoot down passenger jets as they fly out of our own airports.

Is this serious? When is the last time the US military needed to shoot anti-aircraft missiles in US air space? It's certainly not "every day."

Is this serious? When is the last time the US military needed to shoot anti-aircraft missiles in US air space? It's certainly not "every day."

Did Trump launch missiles on Iran ? Because that's who you were blaming.

Yeah, I can't get on board with blaming the shootdown on Trump. Iran's leaders should have put their airports, airlines, and air defense systems on an alert footing and made damn sure this didn't happen while they were firing missiles at our bases. While this event is part of the overall cycle of escalation, it's Iran's responsibility to conduct their retaliation and associated air defense operations without shooting down civilians in their own airspace. Remember when the US Navy shot down the Iranian airliner in the 80s? You can't blame that on the (then) Ayatollah, even though it was his escalation of tensions in the Gulf that led to our ship being on high alert. We apologized for that, and Iran should take responsibility for this event.

It's one thing to say it's a tragic consequence of the ongoing bellicosity between Trump and the Ayatollah, which it was, and another thing to say it was Trump's fault.

Yeah, I can't get on board with blaming the shootdown on Trump. Iran's leaders should have put their airports, airlines, and air defense systems on an alert footing and made damn sure this didn't happen while they were firing missiles at our bases. While this event is part of the overall cycle of escalation, it's Iran's responsibility to conduct their retaliation and associated air defense operations without shooting down civilians in their own airspace. Remember when the US Navy shot down the Iranian airliner in the 80s? You can't blame that on the (then) Ayatollah, even though it was his escalation of tensions in the Gulf that led to our ship being on high alert. We apologized for that, and Iran should take responsibility for this event.

It's one thing to say it's a tragic consequence of the ongoing bellicosity between Trump and the Ayatollah, which it was, and another thing to say it was Trump's fault.

Every action has one or more causes. A partial cause of this was the assassination of Soleimani, which was a conscious choice made by Trump. He may not deserve all of the blame, but he does shoulder some responsibility.

One detail - the US never formally apologized for shooting down Iran Air Flight 655 (in fact, the settlement reached many years later expressly refused to use the word apology in any form).

We gave the captain of the ship a medal. For many inside Iran they still see that day almost as their 9/11.

Back