• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

you are a fucking idiot. But a super intelligent one. Honestly, its a fucking message that the US will hit Syria if Russia can't keep their friend in line. The US wasn't trying to start WW3 and bomb Russia planes.

lol

Haven't seen or heard anything related to this, but this was likely a recommendation of McMaster to hit this target right? Seems more like a "bureaucratic" traditional decision rather than a Donald/Bannon/Flynn-esque type decision.

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. Clinton was in favor of this (as noted by her comments yesterday) and I saw several reports early this morning that almost an identical plan of attack was drawn up for Obama in 2013 even though they ultimately didn't go through with it.

Yeah, didn't go through with it because Congress wouldn't vote to approve it. Which is what you need to have to do it legally.

right, strictly military hard target with advance notice is about a boring and inconsequential as a military strike can be

I do agree that Trump made the right call on this one, I thought we should have done something under Obama. Having said that, it is laughable that this is more than an act. If you are going to do something like this why do you tell them before so they can clear house and essentially causate no real damage to Assad. I think they use this as "overstepping" boundaries to reinvigorate the Assad. My understanding is that Russia was directly responsible for eliminating all chemical weapons from Syria (based off 2013), but did not do their job and still skates all responsibility.

I am a skeptic and think Putin has a plan to use this against us in some way. It feels like a set up...and we took it hook, line and sinker

:jfk:

It was simply a show of force, same reason why every time we do something like this the military releases a video of missiles being fired off. The message is that trump may be a complete clown show but the military is still around with the capability to fuck shit up.

Probably was discussed here last night too but I'm particularly lazy this morning - but this wasn't under AUMF it seems (unless it just hasn't come out yet) and obviously didn't go through WPA so I'm definitely intrigued by the legal implications. I imagine the "debate" will go something like this:

Dems: This was an overreach of the executive branch!

GOP: This is war. There are no rules!

Dems: It's not war - that's the point.

Haven't seen or heard anything related to this, but this was likely a recommendation of McMaster to hit this target right? Seems more like a "bureaucratic" traditional decision rather than a Donald/Bannon/Flynn-esque type decision.

This has Mattis and McMaster written all over it

Don't underestimate the consequences of hundreds of craters in your runway. That airfield will be out of commission for a while.

On the other hand, without Congressional approval, was this even legal?

doesn't the president get a cigar box of tomahawks to use at his discretion?

for relaxing times

It was simply a show of force, same reason why every time we do something like this the military releases a video of missiles being fired off. The message is that trump may be a complete clown show but the military is still around with the capability to fuck shit up.

We fire missiles. Russia and China hold gigantic military parades.

We fired off half the National Endowment for the Arts budget to blow up an airport halfway around the world. Not very America first to me.

Probably was discussed here last night too but I'm particularly lazy this morning - but this wasn't under AUMF it seems (unless it just hasn't come out yet) and obviously didn't go through WPA so I'm definitely intrigued by the legal implications. I imagine the "debate" will go something like this:

Dems: This was an overreach of the executive branch!

GOP: This is war. There are no rules!

Dems: It's not war - that's the point.

There's no way to justify this being under the AUMF. Zero.

Could any of you who support Trump comment on the many tweets he sent out a few years back where he shared his thoughts on Obama bombing Syria? He has basically done everything he gave shit about a few years ago.

I guess the go to, honest response in any situation like that is "it's possible for a private citizen to have different thoughts than when person is acting as the President of the United States"

I do agree that Trump made the right call on this one, I thought we should have done something under Obama. Having said that, it is laughable that this is more than an act. If you are going to do something like this why do you tell them before so they can clear house and essentially causate no real damage to Assad. I think they use this as "overstepping" boundaries to reinvigorate the Assad. My understanding is that Russia was directly responsible for eliminating all chemical weapons from Syria (based off 2013), but did not do their job and still skates all responsibility.

I am a skeptic and think Putin has a plan to use this against us in some way. It feels like a set up...and we took it hook, line and sinker

:jfk:

The bolded just gets a big Thanks, Obama all the way around. I get his decision not to use force at the time, but to try to justify it as a "settlement" that would actually be adhered to was pandering to begin with and another example of him getting steamrolled in foreign policy. He was either an idiot to agree to it or just sorry for turning a blind eye to nobody taking it seriously.

david frum is not impressed with donald trump

Seven Lessons From Trump's Syria Strike
The attack raises a series of questions about the president’s approach to America’s political processes and institutions.

Trump’s Words Mean Nothing
Trump Does Not Give Reasons
Trump Does Not Care About Legality
Trump Disregards Government Processes
Trump Has No Allies
Trump Envisions No End State
Trump Is Lucky in His Opponents

presidential actions are always murky WRT to legality, especially military action so I'm not surprised about that being an issue w/ Trump, but the fact that our traditional allies are are basically silent is disquieting

Back