Page 16 of 137 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666116 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 2737

Thread: Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

  1. #301
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,075
    he said, calmly

  2. #302
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacs89 View Post
    you are a fucking idiot. But a super intelligent one. Honestly, its a fucking message that the US will hit Syria if Russia can't keep their friend in line. The US wasn't trying to start WW3 and bomb Russia planes.
    lol

  3. #303
    Haven't seen or heard anything related to this, but this was likely a recommendation of McMaster to hit this target right? Seems more like a "bureaucratic" traditional decision rather than a Donald/Bannon/Flynn-esque type decision.

  4. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeforest22890 View Post
    I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. Clinton was in favor of this (as noted by her comments yesterday) and I saw several reports early this morning that almost an identical plan of attack was drawn up for Obama in 2013 even though they ultimately didn't go through with it.
    Yeah, didn't go through with it because Congress wouldn't vote to approve it. Which is what you need to have to do it legally.

  5. #305
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,075
    right, strictly military hard target with advance notice is about a boring and inconsequential as a military strike can be

  6. #306
    I do agree that Trump made the right call on this one, I thought we should have done something under Obama. Having said that, it is laughable that this is more than an act. If you are going to do something like this why do you tell them before so they can clear house and essentially causate no real damage to Assad. I think they use this as "overstepping" boundaries to reinvigorate the Assad. My understanding is that Russia was directly responsible for eliminating all chemical weapons from Syria (based off 2013), but did not do their job and still skates all responsibility.

    I am a skeptic and think Putin has a plan to use this against us in some way. It feels like a set up...and we took it hook, line and sinker


  7. #307
    It was simply a show of force, same reason why every time we do something like this the military releases a video of missiles being fired off. The message is that trump may be a complete clown show but the military is still around with the capability to fuck shit up.

  8. #308
    Probably was discussed here last night too but I'm particularly lazy this morning - but this wasn't under AUMF it seems (unless it just hasn't come out yet) and obviously didn't go through WPA so I'm definitely intrigued by the legal implications. I imagine the "debate" will go something like this:

    Dems: This was an overreach of the executive branch!

    GOP: This is war. There are no rules!

    Dems: It's not war - that's the point.

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeforest22890 View Post
    Haven't seen or heard anything related to this, but this was likely a recommendation of McMaster to hit this target right? Seems more like a "bureaucratic" traditional decision rather than a Donald/Bannon/Flynn-esque type decision.
    This has Mattis and McMaster written all over it
    DV7 was RIGHT
    - wakephan09

  10. #310
    Don't underestimate the consequences of hundreds of craters in your runway. That airfield will be out of commission for a while.

    On the other hand, without Congressional approval, was this even legal?

  11. #311
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,075
    doesn't the president get a cigar box of tomahawks to use at his discretion?

    for relaxing times

  12. #312
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Gossett Jr View Post
    It was simply a show of force, same reason why every time we do something like this the military releases a video of missiles being fired off. The message is that trump may be a complete clown show but the military is still around with the capability to fuck shit up.
    We fire missiles. Russia and China hold gigantic military parades.
    DV7 was RIGHT
    - wakephan09

  13. #313
    We fired off half the National Endowment for the Arts budget to blow up an airport halfway around the world. Not very America first to me.

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Gossett Jr View Post
    We fired off half the National Endowment for the Arts budget to blow up an airport halfway around the world. Not very America first to me.
    lol

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeforest22890 View Post
    Probably was discussed here last night too but I'm particularly lazy this morning - but this wasn't under AUMF it seems (unless it just hasn't come out yet) and obviously didn't go through WPA so I'm definitely intrigued by the legal implications. I imagine the "debate" will go something like this:

    Dems: This was an overreach of the executive branch!

    GOP: This is war. There are no rules!

    Dems: It's not war - that's the point.
    There's no way to justify this being under the AUMF. Zero.

  16. #316
    Could any of you who support Trump comment on the many tweets he sent out a few years back where he shared his thoughts on Obama bombing Syria? He has basically done everything he gave shit about a few years ago.

  17. #317
    Quote Originally Posted by 2&2 Slider To Leyritz View Post
    Yeah Trump is a clown, but tough to criticize him for this.
    Just the illegality of it and administration officials ' comments

  18. #318
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,075
    I guess the go to, honest response in any situation like that is "it's possible for a private citizen to have different thoughts than when person is acting as the President of the United States"

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by warak View Post
    I do agree that Trump made the right call on this one, I thought we should have done something under Obama. Having said that, it is laughable that this is more than an act. If you are going to do something like this why do you tell them before so they can clear house and essentially causate no real damage to Assad. I think they use this as "overstepping" boundaries to reinvigorate the Assad. My understanding is that Russia was directly responsible for eliminating all chemical weapons from Syria (based off 2013), but did not do their job and still skates all responsibility.

    I am a skeptic and think Putin has a plan to use this against us in some way. It feels like a set up...and we took it hook, line and sinker

    The bolded just gets a big Thanks, Obama all the way around. I get his decision not to use force at the time, but to try to justify it as a "settlement" that would actually be adhered to was pandering to begin with and another example of him getting steamrolled in foreign policy. He was either an idiot to agree to it or just sorry for turning a blind eye to nobody taking it seriously.

  20. #320
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,075
    david frum is not impressed with donald trump

    Seven Lessons From Trump's Syria Strike
    The attack raises a series of questions about the president’s approach to America’s political processes and institutions.

    Trump’s Words Mean Nothing
    Trump Does Not Give Reasons
    Trump Does Not Care About Legality
    Trump Disregards Government Processes
    Trump Has No Allies
    Trump Envisions No End State
    Trump Is Lucky in His Opponents
    presidential actions are always murky WRT to legality, especially military action so I'm not surprised about that being an issue w/ Trump, but the fact that our traditional allies are are basically silent is disquieting

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •