• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

Weird, Deac89 magically appeared from hibernation to get on the one thread where some people think Trump made a good decision. Still looking for you on the rest buddy!

it does seem odd to me that the broadest consensus seems to be "we have a lunatic ignorant baby that's president, but i agree with his decision to shoot missiles"

The week in the guy who portrays Trump on SNL voiced a "Boss Baby" in the highest gross film of the week?

Weirdly not odd.

it does seem odd to me that the broadest consensus seems to be "we have a lunatic ignorant baby that's president, but i agree with his decision to shoot missiles"

a bit oversimplified, I feel...

Not to mention it was an erratic 180 from his position from days prior. Which is probably a good indication that he hasn't thought through what comes next.

Not to mention it was an erratic 180 from his position from days prior. Which is probably a good indication that he hasn't thought through what comes next.

Which hundreds of people on both sides did 4 years ago which resulted in a diplomatic approach. The goal should be to seek some equilibrium with Assad. Not easy, but more plausible than finding a workable replacement.

Which hundreds of people on both sides did 4 years ago which resulted in a diplomatic approach. The goal should be to seek some equilibrium with Assad. Not easy, but more plausible than finding a workable replacement.

It also left us with quotes:

Where Lawmakers Stand on Military Action in Syria

Ted Cruz: We should be focused on defending the United States of America. That’s why young men and women sign up to join the military, not to, as you know, serve as Al Qaeda’s air force.

Johnny Isakson: After carefully weighing this very important issue, I have decided that I will vote against the resolution to authorize a U.S. military strike in Syria. Over the past week, I have traveled my state and have talked personally to hundreds of Georgians. Thousands more constituents have contacted my office by phone and email. It is clear to me that Georgians overwhelmingly oppose our country getting involved militarily in Syria. The administration’s lack of a clear strategy is troubling, and the potential fallout following a military strike is also troubling.

Perdue, Isakson hail Trump’s decision to strike Syria

Assad has to go and Russia knows that his position is untenable if the rest of the world steps up and forces the switch. They would go to war over lots of things, Assad using WMDs on his own people isn't one of them, I don't believe.

better question is why is Russia shooting down our missiles?

Maybe seems odd, but it's stone cold lock 100% legal for Russia to defend Syria from our attack as long as Syria asks them to. Way more legal than us attacking Syria in the first place (which probably violated international law)

an approach that didn't work

Maybe seems odd, but it's stone cold lock 100% legal for Russia to defend Syria from our attack as long as Syria asks them to. Way more legal than us attacking Syria in the first place (which probably violated international law)

im not questioning their legality to do so, just their desire

Russia loves annexing stuff these days, the international community should just agree Syria is part of Russia now. Enjoy!

Well, as i thought, it appears that Putin is using the raid to his benefit: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...national-law-in-striking-syria-citing-pretext

"Russian President Vladimir Putin is calling the missile strike President Trump ordered against Syria on Thursday "an act of aggression against a sovereign state delivered in violation of international law under a far-fetched pretext," the Kremlin says."

"She (U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley) then blamed Iran's government for supporting Assad in Syria and said that Russia also bears "considerable responsibility" for the regime's transgressions."

"Russia's Ambassador to the U.N. Vitaly Churkin told the Security Council that rebels and terrorists in Syria were celebrating the U.S. strike and using it as an opening for attacks of their own."

"The U.S. strike was criticized as an extremely serious violation of international law by Bolivian Ambassador Sacha Llorenti, who referred to a copy of the U.N. charter as he said it "prohibits unilateral actions.""

"Russia also critiqued the U.S. strike's accuracy: Only 23 out of the 59 cruise missiles that were fired at the air base hit their target, Defense Ministry spokesman Major-General Igor Konashenkov said Friday, citing Russia's data recording equipment. That's according to TASS, which adds that Russia will now reinforce the Syrian army's air defense system."

RED DAWN approaching...Wolverines!

Russia, a nation who routinely attacks annexes sovereign nations, complains about attack on sovereign nation

Russia to tell Assad to stop bombing his own people, probably. Or Russia to occupy Syria. I don't know, but let's not pretend previous plans worked out.

Nobody did.

Nobody did.

weird, because you posted this:

as a response to a comment about a 180 degree, apparently snap decision by Trump.

or do you hold both avenues equally bad

why does the left have to say this? These are matters that require context, perspective and the ability to weigh the best solution through consultation of the cabinet you chose to do this.
If anything we should applaud that he had a stance that he had and was reasoned with and took the advice of his cabinet the experts in this matter. Isn't that what you Dems were afraid of? That he was a narcissist and unstable and would push a button by himself because he was thin skinned?

I would be more worried if he refused to act based on advice of such people because in a campaign he said the opposite. For instance withdrawing troops, announcing the date in spite of what many of his cabinet suggested was best for America and the Middle East.

love the "condemnation" from Congress. I'd love to see those wusses actually do something about Trump's big fuck you.

Back