• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

Stephen L. Carter, professor of Law at Yale, points out that presidents have long ignored the admonition that they must deal with Congress when it comes to engaging in warlike activity.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-07/trump-doesn-t-need-congress-to-strike-in-syria

Let’s start with the obvious: Every U.S. president, all the way back to the founding, has at some point used military force without first obtaining the approval of the legislative branch. A few snippets: George Washington fought the so-called Northwest Indian War to subdue the native people of Ohio. James Monroe sent forces to conquer Amelia Island, off Florida. James Buchanan sent Marines to halt the civil war in Nicaragua. In 1893, U.S. forces overthrew the government of Hawaii, although apparently without White House permission. Still, the overthrow stuck. On the eve of World War I, Woodrow Wilson ordered the Marines into Mexico. Half a century later Ronald Reagan invaded Grenada. Most prominently, in the Cuban Missile Crisis, President John Kennedy took the nation to the brink of nuclear war with the Soviet Union.

More recent history is much the same. In 2011, the White House justified President Barack Obama’s orders to attack Libya with the remarkable argument that because U.S. forces were conducting only bombing and using missiles, the actions did not constitute “hostilities” within the meaning of the War Powers Resolution of 1973 -- a statute requiring that hostilities end within 90 days if no congressional approval is forthcoming.

True, presidents often claim to find justification for their wars in the language of existing statutes and resolutions. President Obama relied regularly on the Authorization for Use of Military Force adopted by the Congress after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. That resolution is now more than a decade and a half old, but I have no doubt that the Trump White House will soon be citing it as legal authority.

But what about the congressional power to declare war? Scholars nowadays are sharply divided over whether the Framers intended it as a check on the executive’s “independent” warmaking authority. Certainly at the time of the founding, the use of a formal declaration of war had fallen into desuetude. Yes, there is a reasonable case to be made that the Framers did indeed hope to restrict presidential use of the military without congressional assent. (That’s one reason for the early resistance to a standing army.) But the new nation did not behave as though a declaration was necessary. (Abraham Lincoln’s famous aphorism that the country should never go to war through the will of one man was a response to President James Polk’s invasion of Mexico somewhat in advance of congressional permission.)

Rumors breaking that Trump has called Turkish President Erdogan to congratulate him on winning his sham referendum to consolidate executive power. Good grief I hope that's not true.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

No wonder Spicer was so non-committal when asked about Turkey today.

The fact that we have a weapons system officially named the "mother of all bombs" makes me think our leaders think war is a big fucking joke.

The fact that we have a weapons system officially named the "mother of all bombs" makes me think our leaders think war is a big fucking joke.

We do not have a weapons system officially named "mother of all bombs", so for now i guess we are good.

I guess that congrats to Ergowhatever was more Trump bullshit. I'm sure this will turn out well.

A con man won the presidential election pretending to be a populist and then appointed a bunch of rich people to his cabinet. Who could've seen this coming???

The president’s tax cut proposal has been a hot topic among the business community at this year’s conference. Rubenstein asked Ross whether it was realistic to expect a tax plan to pass this year.

“I certainly hope so,” he said. “God knows Congress has debated the issue enough times. It’s really a question of, ‘Is there the willpower to do it?’ If the Republican side can get itself unified, then it will work, even if the Democrats remain as determined as they seem to be to block any kind of progress.”

"Hopefully the Congress will come together and give me a tax cut." - billionaire on Trump's cabinet

Last edited:

But Jared Kushner has a stake in private jails in Turkey. Trump and Kushner also are the exclusive providers of food products for the Turkish prison system. Mo' prisoners, Mo' money for our royal family.

It is fairly absurd that my bosses tax bill is more than 50% of their fucking income. 25% seems better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

close analysis would indeed confirm that a reduction of one's tax bill by half would be desirable

It is fairly absurd that my bosses tax bill is more than 50% of their fucking income. 25% seems better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he is paying that he is a fucking dumbass and you should find somewhere else to work.

Back