• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

Like 3-4 months ago he said he was taking a break (I think?) but hasn’t returned. Dunno exactly, but he was/is definitely one of my favorite posters, he really knew how to cut through the bullshit, and was hilarious to boot. R.I.P. WnB? Hope not

Shit sorry for any confusion. I meant the RIP as a comment about him no longer posting here. His board death...not a real one.

Definitely. I understand it’s hard to give up being the guy’s patsy because your FIL put you in charge of Middle East relations.

Richard Groves: Exceptionalism calls for clear moral commitment

...Then came Donald Trump, echoing in his inaugural address his predecessors’ use of the city set on a hill image: “We do not seek to impose our way of life on anyone, but rather to let it shine as an example. We will shine for everyone to follow.”

But it was clear from the beginning that in the Trump administration, American exceptionalism would be about business first and foremost. The city set on a hill would be stripped of its moral component.

In his statement regarding the assassination and mutilation of Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi citizen, resident of the United States, and Washington Post writer, Trump acknowledged that the brutal murder was “terrible,” “an unacceptable and horrible crime.” You could hear the “but” coming a mile away.

But the Saudi government has “agreed to spend and invest $450 billion in the United States. ... It will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, tremendous economic development, and much additional wealth for the United States.”

In a follow-up tweet Trump said: “Oil prices getting lower. Great! Like a big Tax Cut for America and the World. Enjoy! $54, was just $82. Thank you to Saudi Arabia, but let’s go lower!”

It was as if he were saying, If they want to murder a journalist who has been a thorn in their side, well, that’s too bad, but we can’t let a little thing like that get in the way of business. After all, “We do not seek to impose our way of life on anyone.”

Response was quick and blunt, as Republicans and Democrats tried to reconnect American exceptionalism to a moral base.

Conservative columnist Gary Abernathy said, “No amount of lost deals, even ones worth billions of dollars; no danger of escalating oil prices; no worries of strategic alliances can outweigh the responsibility of the president of the United States to stand tall for a free press and freedom of speech everywhere.” Abernathy could have added: “... and stand against politically motivated assassinations everywhere.”

Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich) said, “No amount of money justifies the betrayal of our principles and values as Americans.”

Recognizing that balancing national interest and moral principles is a delicate and imprecise dance, Lindsey Graham (R-SC), said, “I fully realize we have to deal with bad actors and imperfect situations on the international stage.” Then he added, “However, when we lose our moral voice, we lose our strongest asset.”

Since we are co-opting Jesus: “What does it profit a nation if it gains the whole world but loses its own soul?”

Senate Votes To End U.S. Support For War In Yemen, Rebuking Trump And Saudi Arabia

The Senate voted along bipartisan lines Thursday to end U.S. military support for Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen. The 56-41 vote marks the first time the Senate utilized powers granted under the 1973 War Powers Act, which gives Congress the power to demand an end to military actions.

While the House likely won't vote on the measure, the bipartisan vote is a major rebuke to Saudi Arabia, long a key U.S. ally.

Back