• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

[h=1]Trump Approves Strikes on Iran, but Then Abruptly Pulls Back[/h]
WASHINGTON — President Trump approved military strikes against Iran in retaliation for downing an American surveillance drone, but pulled back from launching them on Thursday night after a day of escalating tensions.
As late as 7 p.m., military and diplomatic officials were expecting a strike, after intense discussions and debate at the White House among the president’s top national security officials and congressional leaders, according to multiple senior administration officials involved in or briefed on the deliberations.
Officials said the president had initially approved attacks on a handful of Iranian targets, like radar and missile batteries.
The operation was underway in its early stages when it was called off, a senior administration official said. Planes were in the air and ships were in position, but no missiles had been fired when word came to stand down, the official said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/20/world/middleeast/iran-us-drone.html

Sweet Jesus.

"The operation was underway in its early stages when it was called off, a senior administration official said. Planes were in the air and ships were in position, but no missiles had been fired when word came to stand down, the official said."

I guess Ben Affleck saved the world again by texting the Russian PM out of nuclear war, or Nicolas Cage set off the green flare and saved Alcatraz...what an absolute shit show.

I seriously, seriously hope they've maintained some secondary and tertiary authorizations, beyond the President (this one in particular), into the process of doing something like this. Unless it's Jerry Bruckheimer directing the drone, and Bruce Willis and Tom Cruise are on the job.

Welp.

As stunning as it may be to some, it probably doesn’t enhance diplomatic effectiveness to immediately show yourself to be an unreliable ally and utterly dishonest adversary.

Cool. President Fox News Granpda is gonna send us to war.

Putin is just dominating this clown.

Once again it’s probably a situation of “last person to talk to him gets the prize”. UAE/Saudi’s should have scheduled their call later.

The most effective thing he has done is exploit how fucking stupid most people are. Create a crisis of his own doing, wait long enough for people’s attention span to move on to their daily struggle for existence, claim victory for the crisis he created. In this case the entire timeframe took only a few hours, I was going to bomb the hell out of Iran, then I asked would people die (they are fucking bombs), then I decided not to bomb them give me praise!!

Fox and Friends called him weak this morning, so he had to come up with some excuse.

The US is about to start another war without evidence or Congressional approval to distract the country and cause thousands of innocent deaths and tens of thousands of displaced people and we're instead trying to celebrate Trump for changing his mind. What a ridiculous country we are.

Preach teens

The most effective thing he has done is exploit how fucking stupid most people are. Create a crisis of his own doing, wait long enough for people’s attention span to move on to their daily struggle for existence, claim victory for the crisis he created. In this case the entire timeframe took only a few hours, I was going to bomb the hell out of Iran, then I asked would people die (they are fucking bombs), then I decided not to bomb them give me praise!!

Is he a true believer or master manipulator?

Tucker Carlson just obliterated John Bolton, hopefully there's enough terrible press over this for Trump to fire Bolton

Back