• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

Trump really tweeted a schoolyard taunt about Iran?

get this clown the fuck outta here.

Iran’s Supreme Leader Thanks Trump for Showing America’s ‘Real Face’

“We actually thank this new president [Trump]! We thank him, because he made it easier for us to reveal the real face of the United States. What we have been saying, for over thirty years, about political, economic, moral, and social corruption within the U.S. ruling establishment, he came out and exposed during the election campaigns and after the elections. Now, with everything he is doing—handcuffing a child as young as 5 at an airport—he is showing the reality of American human rights."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/world/middleeast/trump-iran-ayatollah-ali-khamenei.html?_r=0

Iran’s Supreme Leader Thanks Trump for Showing America’s ‘Real Face’

“We actually thank this new president [Trump]! We thank him, because he made it easier for us to reveal the real face of the United States. What we have been saying, for over thirty years, about political, economic, moral, and social corruption within the U.S. ruling establishment, he came out and exposed during the election campaigns and after the elections. Now, with everything he is doing—handcuffing a child as young as 5 at an airport—he is showing the reality of American human rights."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/world/middleeast/trump-iran-ayatollah-ali-khamenei.html?_r=0

Welcome to the loss of an enormous amount of US soft power. We have substantially weakened our position globally because we no longer can even pretend to stand as a moral authority. There's a reason the State Department is going ape shit internally, US soft power is a huge tool they use regularly and having it stripped away seriously weakens our leverage in many situations.

Welcome to the loss of an enormous amount of US soft power. We have substantially weakened our position globally because we no longer can even pretend to stand as a moral authority. There's a reason the State Department is going ape shit internally, US soft power is a huge tool they use regularly and having it stripped away seriously weakens our leverage in many situations.

its true look how much our soft power is working in syria, iraq, turkey, iran, russia, china and north korea. Now trump ruined it. Before Iran only screamed death to america and kidnapped navy soldiers and humiliated them and threatned to wipe isreal off the planet all the while funding terrorist wars by proxy. Now that trump wrecked our soft power they can really get down to fucking the US over.

I'm going to have to ask another question and I don't mean this one to be condescending either, but do you know what "soft power" means?

An argument against America's level of "soft power" is not "look at China." China is a great case of where soft power has worked over the years.

I'm going to have to ask another question and I don't mean this one to be condescending either, but do you know what "soft power" means?

An argument against America's level of "soft power" is not "look at China." China is a great case of where soft power has worked over the years.

has it worked?

I would agree with you but we would have to agree on what "worked" means ?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...een-building-in-the-south-china-sea.html?_r=0

That a nation has been advancing its own interests in ways that may not also benefit the United States does not disprove that the United States has used soft power in plenty of ways to shape China's foreign policy.

I'd need to read a very, very persuasive article pointing out how soft power has "not worked" with China before I believed a credible argument could even be made advancing that theory. It's absurd.

Think about it this way, if a teen decides to ignore his parents and skip curfew one time because he wants to go to a concert that his parents don't want him to go to but otherwise hasn't snuck out of the house do you think it's credible to argue that the parents' techniques haven't worked at all?

I would define "worked" to mean that America was successful in changing the behavior or actions of another nation through non-coercive, non-manipulative means by either attracting a foreign nation to our point of view or through encouraging them to do something other than what might have been done absent America's influence.

That a nation has been advancing its own interests in ways that may not also benefit the United States does not disprove that the United States has used soft power in plenty of ways to shape China's foreign policy.

I'd need to read a very, very persuasive article pointing out how soft power has "not worked" with China before I believed a credible argument could even be made advancing that theory. It's absurd.

hmm very very persuasive huh? you know what I am going to pass and just ride with obamas foriegn policy was a fucking joke.

I would define "worked" to mean that America was successful in changing the behavior or actions of another nation through non-coercive, non-manipulative means by either attracting a foreign nation to our point of view or through encouraging them to do something other than what might have been done absent America's influence.

what about trying to persuade them not to do something but they do it anyways and you don't say anything as to not upset them?

Back