• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

i hope we can land Alontae, he has been posting alot of loserville pics on his tweeter.

Sure wish '94 or someone else could summarize how many ships we still have available for this class, and who our remaining top targets are by position.

My scholarship count is in the range of 82-84, depending on whether LS Dayton Diemel is on scholarship and whether Dionte Austin returns to the team. That, combined with the limited recruiting activity recently, leads me to believe that the staff is working with 2-3 remaining spots for the 2018 class. But it’s possible that more spots could open before NSD. The staff will hit the road next week to look at options for the remaining 2018 spots and continue the work on the much larger 2019 class. If any 2018 offers go out next week, those recruits could become the top targets. With the sense that the program has wind in its sails right now, I’d expect the staff to be very selective.

While we wait for more names to emerge, here are the five recruitments that I’m following at the moment:

DT KA’DARIAN HILL (Eufala HS / Eufala, AL) – Ole Miss commit. 3.5 GPA. Reportedly has scheduled an official visit to Wake on December 2.

DT/OT TYLER STEEN (St. Thomas Aquinas HS / Fort Lauderdale, FL) – Committed to Louisville as an OT, but Wake’s interest is at DT. He’s been reasonably transparent about his willingness to consider other options. Wake, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Kentucky have all offered over the past five weeks.

ATH CAM TAYLOR (Park Crossing HS / Montgomery, AL) – Decommitted from Mizzou on October 25th where he had committed to play safety. Mizzou is still in the picture. Also had offers from Michigan and Mississippi State. Under consideration for an offer from Auburn. Plays QB in high school. Most schools are looking at him as a CB or S, but it’s possible that Wake is pursuing him as a WR.

WR/ATH ALONTAE TAYLOR (Coffee County Central HS / Manchester, TN) – 4-star WR recently decommitted from Tennessee. Cousin is Wake LB D.J. Taylor. Has an official visit to Wake scheduled for December 2. Alabama’s entry into his recruitment makes Wake’s long shot bid even more of a long shot.

DE KAYMAR MIMES (Long Branch HS / Long Branch, NJ) – Rutgers and Wake Forest have offered. Has a brother that plays for the Raiders. Wants to be a lawyer. My guess is that he is more of Plan B for Wake. He’ll visit Rutgers and UConn before the early signing day.

Thanks '94. Things have been slow lately. Hope for a few surprises before signing day.

He needed to eliminate the riff raff like Alabama. Well done.

We get the majority of these guys listed. Clawson is going places and these guys know he can make it happen for them too.

My scholarship count is in the range of 82-84, depending on whether LS Dayton Diemel is on scholarship and whether Dionte Austin returns to the team. That, combined with the limited recruiting activity recently, leads me to believe that the staff is working with 2-3 remaining spots for the 2018 class. But it’s possible that more spots could open before NSD. The staff will hit the road next week to look at options for the remaining 2018 spots and continue the work on the much larger 2019 class. If any 2018 offers go out next week, those recruits could become the top targets. With the sense that the program has wind in its sails right now, I’d expect the staff to be very selective.

While we wait for more names to emerge, here are the five recruitments that I’m following at the moment:

DT KA’DARIAN HILL (Eufala HS / Eufala, AL) – Ole Miss commit. 3.5 GPA. Reportedly has scheduled an official visit to Wake on December 2.

DT/OT TYLER STEEN (St. Thomas Aquinas HS / Fort Lauderdale, FL) – Committed to Louisville as an OT, but Wake’s interest is at DT. He’s been reasonably transparent about his willingness to consider other options. Wake, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Kentucky have all offered over the past five weeks.

ATH CAM TAYLOR (Park Crossing HS / Montgomery, AL) – Decommitted from Mizzou on October 25th where he had committed to play safety. Mizzou is still in the picture. Also had offers from Michigan and Mississippi State. Under consideration for an offer from Auburn. Plays QB in high school. Most schools are looking at him as a CB or S, but it’s possible that Wake is pursuing him as a WR.

WR/ATH ALONTAE TAYLOR (Coffee County Central HS / Manchester, TN) – 4-star WR recently decommitted from Tennessee. Cousin is Wake LB D.J. Taylor. Has an official visit to Wake scheduled for December 2. Alabama’s entry into his recruitment makes Wake’s long shot bid even more of a long shot.

DE KAYMAR MIMES (Long Branch HS / Long Branch, NJ) – Rutgers and Wake Forest have offered. Has a brother that plays for the Raiders. Wants to be a lawyer. My guess is that he is more of Plan B for Wake. He’ll visit Rutgers and UConn before the early signing day.

Thanks 94... yes, I’m pretty sure we have three spots open right now.

Last edited:
Any way we try to go after the Jayce Horn kid since he decommited for UTenn and we offered a UAB committ yesterday. He is a 6’5 WR.

Lots of coaching changes all over the SEC.
Could be a couple of very good de-commits available......assuming they have the grades

Lots of coaching changes all over the SEC.
Could be a couple of very good de-commits available......assuming they have the grades

This idea comes up every year. Anyone that pays more attention to our recruiting able to comment on who the players are that we were able to get the last few years from this circumstance? I am only remembering kids we got that were recruited over (Colburn and Rocky Reid). TIA

This idea comes up every year. Anyone that pays more attention to our recruiting able to comment on who the players are that we were able to get the last few years from this circumstance? I am only remembering kids we got that were recruited over (Colburn and Rocky Reid). TIA

Totally forgot that Reid transferred out to Campbell.

Updated List of 2018 Targets

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

KA’DARIAN HILL (Eufala HS / Eufala, AL) – Ole Miss commit. 3.5 GPA. Reportedly has scheduled an official visit to Wake on December 2.

TYLER STEEN (St. Thomas Aquinas HS / Fort Lauderdale, FL) – Committed to Louisville as an OT, but Wake’s interest is at DT. He’s been reasonably transparent about his willingness to consider other options. Wake, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Kentucky have all offered over the past five weeks.

**new addition** MORO OJOMO (Kay HS / Katy, TX) – 6’3 / 275 at just 16 years old. He’s young for his grade level because he started school overseas at a young age. Regarded as a high-upside developmental prospect. He impressed at The Opening Regional in Dallas. At one point his recruitment was thought to be a battle between TCU and Oklahoma State, but some time has passed since then making things less clear. Arizona offered in October. Wake Forest offered earlier this month.

DEFENSIVE ENDS

**new addition** TAHJ BROWN (Donaldsonville HS / Donaldsonville, LA) – DE with great size. Also plays some LB in HS, but he is clearly a DE at the college level. Currently committed to Houston. Official visits are scheduled at Wake Forest (December 2), Houston (December 9) and Texas (December 16). Texas hasn’t offered yet. Jay Sawvel had an in-home visit with Brown today.

KAYMAR MIMES (Long Branch HS / Long Branch, NJ) – Rutgers and Wake Forest have offered. Has a brother that plays for the Raiders. Wants to be a lawyer. My guess is that he is more of Plan B for Wake. He’ll visit Rutgers and UConn before the early signing day.[/QUOTE]

WIDE RECEIVERS

CAM TAYLOR (Park Crossing HS / Montgomery, AL) – Decommitted from Mizzou on October 25th where he had committed to play safety. Mizzou is still in the picture. Also had offers from Michigan and Mississippi State. Under consideration for an offer from Auburn. Plays QB in high school. Most schools are looking at him as a CB or S, but it’s possible that Wake is pursuing him as a WR.

ALONTAE TAYLOR (Coffee County Central HS / Manchester, TN) – 4-star WR recently decommitted from Tennessee. Cousin is Wake LB D.J. Taylor. Has an official visit to Wake scheduled for December 2. Alabama’s entry into his recruitment makes Wake’s long shot bid even more of a long shot.

**new addition** ATORIAN PERRY (Park Vista HS / Lake Worth, FL) – 6’5 WR currently committed to UAB. Wake offered on November 25.

Coming up with a true “flip” list is hard, because every recruitment is unique. Some decommitted and then went through a process before committing to Wake. But here is a list of Clawson-era commits that were committed somewhere else at some point during their recruitment. I’m going off of memory here, so let me know if I am missing anyone. The ones that I specifically remember that followed coaching changes were Rashawn Shaw (2014), Devin Pike (2014), Kam Uter (2014), Kyle Kearns (2015) and Ty Hardimon (2017).

2014 Class
John Wolford (ECU) – 12/15/13
Rashawn Shaw (Louisville) – 1/21/14
Travis Smith (Toledo) – 1/24/14
Devin Pike (Louisville) – 1/30/14
Justin Herron (Rutgers) – 1/30/14
Kam Uter (Vanderbilt) – 1/30/14
Chris Stewart (Louisiana-Monroe) – 2/2/14
Willie Yarbary (Indiana) – 2/4/14
Note: My recollection was that Adam Centers had committed to TCU as a grayshirt, but I couldn’t find anything to confirm

2015 Class
Tyler Bell (Southern Miss) – 8/20/14
Bo Archibald (Miami) – 9/22/14
Kahlil Welsh (FIU) – 11/23/14
Kyle Kearns (SMU) – 1/25/15
Elontae Bateman (Arkansas State) – 1/27/15
Rocky Reid (Tennessee) – 1/28/15
Jessie Bates (Toledo) – 2/3/15
Matt Colburn (Louisville) – 2/11/15

2016 Class
Thomas Cole (Akron) – 1/6/16

2017 Class