• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

He'll be third team when he arrives. How much PT would he get? I say redshirt him, and start him for 4 years.

The only reason to not redshirt him is the staff thinks he will become good enough to be an early entrant into the NFL draft. In that case you play him as a true freshman to get as much as you can from him before he goes. I don't see him as good enough to go early right now.

He'll be third team when he arrives. How much PT would he get? I say redshirt him, and start him for 4 years.

Definitely RS and keep him close (in class) with your LT DeVonte Gordon. Gordon was injured a good part of his Sr season but his prognosis is for complete recovery.

A great looking prospect in his own right at 6’6 and 295 - early season 4 Star kid who has hoops athleticism...love those jumbo dual sport kids from DC area. Deluxe wingspan with great paws — should eventually bookend with Big Mike for some great Wake teams to come...

...this is an evolved program from the Grobe era.. I look at Wake as a succession - a process. Jim Caldwell brought discipline and mental toughness.. a “take football seriously” mode entered the program and a foundation was laid. Grobe inherited that foundation and built upon it - spotting and developing kids like Chip Vaughn, Alphonso, Curry, Skinner et., al., while overseeing a significant stadium overhaul. Now, as if on cue,comes Clawson and Co..walking in stride with facilities upgrades which parallel an idea that “we can get it done here..we can compete and win Championships at this school” and all the while loving the type of student athlete Wake Forest recruits and produces - this coach seems tailor made for this University..

So,with that mouthful ,I wind to the point..which is Mike is not needed in 2018. Not that he couldn’t be used or that he isn’t good enough..it’s just the fact that this coach has assembled more OL and DL depth (really solid depth) than at any time in program history. WF returns (1)second team ACC OL and (2)3rd Teamers for 2018 and that doesn’t include RT Jake Benzinger who the staff thinks might be the best of the lot. The real kicker comes when you realize that backup RT JeVionte Nash will take Jake’s job if he slips up :). Nash is the kind of athlete who can eventually plug in anywhere across the front 5.

—riches a Wake fan is simply unaccustomed.. and Championships are built from the Lines out..

Just read this post and got me pretty hyped. I’ve always thought success comes from the trenches from being a panthers fan - good Oline and good Dline led our team to a super bowl. Cam is a great player by himself but give him a good oline and look out. You can make an above average qb great with a great oline (not saying cam is just above average). This is what ive been waiting for for wake football and it’s here. We’re in for a good few years and it’s because of the depth clawson has built in the trenches. Great post Lectro. I wasn’t here to see your posting from earlier regimes but this is a great point and I’m all for it.

Wow. Who knew it is good to have decent OL and DL if you want winning football. Thanks y'all.

Wow. Who knew it is good to have decent OL and DL if you want winning football. Thanks y'all.

We all know it.........it's just that we're realizing that we actually have it now.
After years and years of complaining and hoping, we're finally seeing it happen.
And that's a pretty good thing to be excited about.
Please feel free to join those of us with optimism and positive outlooks.
Have a nice day.

After watching the hudl highlights for Brayden Willis, I’m completely sold. As deac94 mentioned earlier, he plays in a competitive Texas league and performed great. He looks to run crisp routes and would be a true downfield threat as a TE. Also has a frame to add weight if needed for blocking. Would love to have him in the class.

Someone sent me this message on Twitter re: Brayden Willis (presumably from someone in the Dallas area):

"They couldn't get a better behaved young man, and from someone who has watched him his whole high school career, a leader, a tireless worker, an amazing competitor, and tough as they come!"

I assume that he means if we get him. Thought it was worth sharing.

Interesting.

Willis’ tape is one of the better I’ve seen of our commitments.

There is playing time available as a true frosh at TE. Just saying.

Really sucks. Wish they didn’t offer. Would be closer to home for him and obviously higher profile. Hopefully we can still get a visit.

Back