• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

OL Mike Edwards was most responsible for the holes Ricky Person ran through.

Film shows him knocking guys 6-7 yards downfield and almost singlehandedly making the run lane..
Really impressed with his size, strength and nimble feet. Future “Beef Boy”

TE Blake W. had a nice 25 yard reception where he slipped behind the LB’s

Edwards is going to be good.......real good.

I think Whiteheart may turn out to be one our 'under-the-radar' stars of the future.
Nice - especially since he's local.

Shrine Bowl ......

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article190216884.html

Three Mecklenburg County players played in the game -- Brown, Charlotte Catholic linebacker Chase Foley and Mallard Creek lineman Jordan Davis. A former Mecklenburg County star, Sam Hartman of Oceanside, threw for 218 yards and two touchdowns for South Carolina. He was named offensive MVP for the Sandlappers. Hartman, a Wake Forest commit, played at Davidson Day before transferring this year.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article190216884.html#storylink=cpy

At his recent visit he is all of 6’7 and 345. He is the largest Deacon player/recruit I’ve seen

That would put him up there with Ben Coleman who was the starting Left Tackle on Wake's Weedeater Bowl team.

HTML:

At his recent visit he is all of 6’7 and 345. He is the largest Deacon player/recruit I’ve seen

He will be a good player in the future. But Wake getting a guy that big means he either needs to lose weight or gain athleticism. Look forward to his growth.

He will be a good player in the future. But Wake getting a guy that big means he either needs to lose weight or gain athleticism. Look forward to his growth.

Larry the Hat, State, and Maryland offered early. The kid can play Eeyore.

HTML:

Remember Chris Degeare?
Don't know how big he was as a recruit, but his senior year he played at 6' 4" 360.
Stood next to once. Absolutely huge.

Had he stayed in the recruiting game he’d have been one of the top linemen in the South and probably the country. He is known for his athleticism. He committed to Wake early and over UVA, NCSU and Maryland and just at the point that Penn State and Clemson & others were getting on the trail. He was dominant on Saturday and The ONLY lineman for either the NC or SC squads who was able to handle All American Rick Sandidge.

I consider him a high 4 Star along with Gordon and he proved it on the field this past Saturday and during the week of practice leading up to the game. As a matter of fact he was the only OL who earned accolades (the coaches, scouts spin heavy on the skill guys)

If you find the game highlights look on the left side of the White team OL for # 71 with the Green helmet

I appreciate your comments Lectro. I would point out that a verbal commitment to WFU is not going to stop the big boys from recruiting a player they want.

I appreciate your comments Lectro. I would point out that a verbal commitment to WFU is not going to stop the big boys from recruiting a player they want.

That's true.

However, the big boys first step in the recruiting process when trying to flip a commitment is to find out if the commitment is solid or potentially vulnerable. After initial contact, a school looking to flip a player won't offer, unless they think there is some chance that the committed player will flip (e.g., he agrees to take a visit; he responds to communications). Have no idea other schools level of interest in Edwards after he verballed to WF, but its possible other interested schools found out that he had no interest in considering other schools; so, they moved on even if they were willing to offer had he flirted.

I agree wholeheartedly..and the big boys don’t stop calling. I am pumped up that Mike Edwards is solidly a Wake Forest commit and not astonished that he’d want to go to school and play ball at Wake.

If it were only a matter of pedigree and a player being offered by a school with a greater reputation then John Wolford would never have played a snap at Wake Forest.

So the early signing period (3 days) starts tomorrow, right? Is there any sense if most or all of the Wake commits will sign early? Also, I assume that the "signing day" luncheon and what not will still be in February?

So the early signing period (3 days) starts tomorrow, right? Is there any sense if most or all of the Wake commits will sign early? Also, I assume that the "signing day" luncheon and what not will still be in February?

The goal is to sign them all. There will be a press conference tomorrow at 4 PM, but there will still be a February signing day too.

The goal is to sign them all. There will be a press conference tomorrow at 4 PM, but there will still be a February signing day too.

Are all schools trying to sign everybody tomorrow? This whole deal is nuts. What if we sign our whole class tomorrow, but other schools are still waiting until February and still actively recruiting for 2018? Seems like that would give us a huge leg up for 2019.

I would assume that everybody is going to try to lock up as many guys as possible.

I think it would give us a big leg up, and also allow us to focus on guys who aren't 100% committed to their school yet. I think this early period really favors Wake vs. bigger schools.

Back