• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Dekin, meet Lectro.

No need to pull a muscle contemplating it.. after all when Duke Ejiofor was a JR in highschool his camp stature (as a Safety) was a stout 6’2 and 187 pounds..

Anyway,some of us who have witnessed and embraced development amongst the human athlete are not so surprised to see gains such as “Boogie” Basham’s growth from 248 pounds to 275 between his Freshman and RS Freshman season.. coaches typically refer to the cause of this Phenomena as “a frame he can grow into”

Therefore it is no great stretch of the imagination to see that Michael has grown into his own frame — and this in only his 1st year of experience within a high level strength/diet/training regimen— to see that the young man has grown from a 241 pound rookie into a 265-plus pound RS Freshman should be a source of little astonishment or confusion.

Please avail of me if need and I’ll gladly provide more examples of modern player development than one would wish to stomach,as it were.

Dekin, meet Lectro.

Ph - I 'know' Lectro well from years past. I've really enjoyed his info about and comparisons of our players, especially all the size/strength/speed data. I welcome his return to the boards.
In this case, I was only asking a question since 30 lbs in 6 months sounds like a lot, but I know it's possible.

Lectro - another example you could probably give is Aaron Curry. Believe he was 195 as a freshman and ended up as a rock solid 253.
Fwiw, I gained 50 lbs in 2 years myself, so I know it's possible.

Yes it does seem like a lot of weight to put on —but the weight lists of incoming guys are rarely accurate..usually they are held over from their senior season of HS. Mike played his Sr season at 235. Mike Edwards similarly stunned the Shrine scouts when he showed up and was not a 285 pound kid as listed but instead was 340 pounds and could really move. Hence Edwards rocketed up the national rankings some 800-900 spots on one list..

Here’s a piece on Spencer Clapp that gives a peak into the rough diamond mining Clawson still engages in while simultaneously raising the overall profile with recruits like 4 Star prospects Gordon and Edwards. As Clawson notes “we don’t give scholarships to make numbers..” Clapp and Jake Benzinger fit that bill..

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/...-clapp-looks-part-as-appalachian-state-commit

Calvin Pace comes to mind as someone who put on a lot of weight. He came to Wake having played QB in HS. He left as an NFL ready defensive lineman.

I think Boo Robinson may have been another guy who added a lot of weight. Played his HS sr season at 200 or so. Left Wake at 300+.

Allen never really looked super tall to me standing on the sidelines. Looked shorter than Duke, who is 6'4. If he's really 6'6 (WF lists him at 6'5, and I think we usually fudge upwards at least an inch), then he should end up being a monster.

oops - failed to get Bob’s pic from page 3 on board.. team DL pic with Belk Bowl Trophy — Big Mike is all of 6’5 plus - maybe a shade under 6’6 and he is standing behind Dave C. For reference, Bateman and Rodney (6’2 and 6’1) are directly in front of Mike and Manny Walker (6’4) is opposite MA on the back line

Last edited:
oops - failed to get Bob’s pic from page 3 on board.. team DL pic with Belk Bowl Trophy — Big Mike is all of 6’5 plus - maybe a shade under 6’6 and he is standing behind Dave C. For reference, Bateman and Rodney (6’2 and 6’1) are directly in front of Mike and Manny Walker (6’4) is opposite MA on the back line

Some photos on his twitter handle show his size: https://twitter.com/bigmikeal

Page through far enough in his photos and you will learn that "Big Mike" is taller than Jerry Stackhouse (who looks 65 years old, btw)

Some photos on his twitter handle show his size: https://twitter.com/bigmikeal

Page through far enough in his photos and you will learn that "Big Mike" is taller than Jerry Stackhouse (who looks 65 years old, btw)

Stackhouse was listed as 6-6 in the NBA, although I think he was listed at 6-5 at UNC. He's the head coach for the Raptors G-League team.

Ph - I 'know' Lectro well from years past. I've really enjoyed his info about and comparisons of our players, especially all the size/strength/speed data. I welcome his return to the boards.
In this case, I was only asking a question since 30 lbs in 6 months sounds like a lot, but I know it's possible.

Lectro - another example you could probably give is Aaron Curry. Believe he was 195 as a freshman and ended up as a rock solid 253.
Fwiw, I gained 50 lbs in 2 years myself, so I know it's possible.

I think Ph is referring to Ol' Lec's penchant for hyperbole.

Yesterday’s tweet from Brayden Willis that he had arrived for his official visit at Wake was certainly a pleasant surprise. It gives the Deacs a chance to make their pitch. Also a reminder that the situation at Oklahoma could be fluid. I’m 100% on this bandwagon.

It looks like CB Marquis Alston (Harrison HS / Kennesaw, GA) is visiting. I wasn’t aware of him before the visit was announced, but after reading up on him I’m not surprised that Wake is interested. He has a lot of attributes in common with other Wake targets:

Good size for a CB - I have official numbers at 6’0 / 180.

Good combine numbers. I have an official 37-inch vertical. I don’t have an official 40 time, but multiple reports that he times very well.

Performs well in a camp setting - he earned his only P5 offer from WVU by turning in a really big camp performance

Switched positions late in his HS career – the late position switch gives the staff film at DB while also providing a narrative that there could be more upside once the coaching staff gets to work with him.

One other P5 offer – the magic number for guys that commit to Wake. I don’t have any theories why Wake lands so many guys with one other P5 offer. But they do. Rarely a guy with zero or two other P5 offers. One is the number. Could it have something to do with the Northwestern algorithm?

I'd be happy to land Alston. There seems to be a lot to like.

I’m guessing the algorithm helps schools identify underrecruited players who may be likely to commit, so it makes sense it would identify players with one or no P5 offers.

Yesterday’s tweet from Brayden Willis that he had arrived for his official visit at Wake was certainly a pleasant surprise. It gives the Deacs a chance to make their pitch. Also a reminder that the situation at Oklahoma could be fluid. I’m 100% on this bandwagon.

It looks like CB Marquis Alston (Harrison HS / Kennesaw, GA) is visiting. I wasn’t aware of him before the visit was announced, but after reading up on him I’m not surprised that Wake is interested. He has a lot of attributes in common with other Wake targets:

Good combine numbers. I have an official 37-inch vertical. I don’t have an official 40 time, but multiple reports that he times very well.

Performs well in a camp setting - he earned his only P5 offer from WVU by turning in a really big camp performance

Switched positions late in his HS career – the late position switch gives the staff film at DB while also providing a narrative that there could be more upside once the coaching staff gets to work with him.

One other P5 offer – the magic number for guys that commit to Wake. I don’t have any theories why Wake lands so many guys with one other P5 offer. But they do. Rarely a guy with zero or two other P5 offers. One is the number. Could it have something to do with the Northwestern algorithm?

Landing these guys with the guys we have already would continue the great momentum Clawson has going with this program. Wake Football may be in the middle of a golden age.

The heavy push for a second TE shows that Cole, Chapman and Liverpool are not impressing the coaches.

Did just these 2 guys come this weekend for visits, or were there others?

Back