• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

To me it read like something you say about a place you don't plan on going back to.

No question that was a polite thanks for the visit and Wake is a nice place but....

Burn. Committed to OK the day after his visit with us.

ETA: And before his OV with OK

No question that was a polite thanks for the visit and Wake is a nice place but....

Right. That was the recruit version of "I had a great time and you're a nice guy and everything but..."

Keep track of Willis in the rankings. He’s about to go from a low three star to a mid-high three star, maybe four star after his commit Oklahoma.

Pretty sure all 3 sites released their final updated rankings recently, but solid LOWF thinking nonetheless.

Pretty sure all 3 sites released their final updated rankings recently, but solid LOWF thinking nonetheless.

We're ranked 55 on Rivals, but this class feels much better.
Anxious to see them in a few years.

Keep track of Willis in the rankings. He’s about to go from a low three star to a mid-high three star, maybe four star after his commit Oklahoma.

*****'s are just about the number of offers you have, not necessarily how good you are. Then a kid commits and he jumps up another *. Total crap

Next year, Sciba will be the only frosh who we need to contribute.

*****'s are just about the number of offers you have, not necessarily how good you are. Then a kid commits and he jumps up another *. Total crap

Agreed, I could easily give 8-10 instances of that happening this year.

Kind of true. It would be awesome if a freshman safety were better than Masterson, and at least one LB spot is wide open. I'd say we definitely need either one of the RFrosh (much more likely) or true frosh to contribute at LB.

Agreed. Kind of sucks that two of our freshmen linebackers last year have knee injuries now. Burley injured last year, then Monroe having knee surgery recently. In my opinion, those two were excellent prospects coming out of high school. Hopefully they’ll be able to fully recover and contribute at some point.

That's actually a good thing.
We have a very good class coming in......but it also looks like we have sufficient depth that very few if any will be forced into action.
This bodes very well for the upcoming years.

Could be good news or bad news that incoming freshmen don't appear to be better than incumbent upperclassmen. Many of the incoming frosh look pretty good, based on HS tapes.

It is good news that upperclassmen are better than incoming freshmen, because it means that players are growing and developing during their years at Wake. It also means that these freshmen can redshirt and be available to play as fifth year seniors. Usually fifth year senior is a more valuable player and more capable than the same guy as a freshman.

This is particularly true along both O-line and D-line. 22-24 year old 4th and 5th year players should be bigger and stronger than 17-19 year old true freshmen.

The bad news could be that the recruiting isn't pulling in guys who are able to play better than incumbents. This hasn't been the case in previous years.

Could be good news or bad news that incoming freshmen don't appear to be better than incumbent upperclassmen. Many of the incoming frosh look pretty good, based on HS tapes.

It is good news that upperclassmen are better than incoming freshmen, because it means that players are growing and developing during their years at Wake. It also means that these freshmen can redshirt and be available to play as fifth year seniors. Usually fifth year senior is a more valuable player and more capable than the same guy as a freshman.

This is particularly true along both O-line and D-line. 22-24 year old 4th and 5th year players should be bigger and stronger than 17-19 year old true freshmen.

The bad news could be that the recruiting isn't pulling in guys who are able to play better than incumbents. This hasn't been the case in previous years.

Agree with your points, but I feel the bar has been raised across the board.
Our recruits/commits are getting better, but so are our current players and overall depth.
It's now getting tougher to play as a true freshman at Wake.
This is a good thing

Agree with your points, but I feel the bar has been raised across the board.
Our recruits/commits are getting better, but so are our current players and overall depth.
It's now getting tougher to play as a true freshman at Wake.
This is a good thing

That would be the better case. The upperclassmen, with extra development time, are better than incoming freshmen. That is generally a better recipe for success. It would be better to not have any more Phil Haynes/Justin Herron struggles as freshmen and have them as the mature, capable 4th year juniors we saw this past season. Hope the redshirt sophs who will replace them after next season get some spot work in some games during the 2018 season. Don't want to see totally green (no game experience) RS juniors starting on the O-line in 2019.

Well the Deacs have a kid, Michael Allen @ 6’6 and 267..a RS FR out of Georgia who had offers from Alabama,Southern Cal,Notre Dame,Georgia,Clemson,FSU and about 35 other schools.

Just reminding..

I don't keep up with FB recruiting as much as hoops but holy shit that kid had some big time offers.

Back