• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I don't keep up with FB recruiting as much as hoops but holy shit that kid had some big time offers.

You should start keeping up with football recruiting and the progress that's being made.
It's fun and encouraging.

You should start keeping up with football recruiting and the progress that's being made.

It's interesting. I've been somewhat discouraged with the lack of higher-ranked recruits, but it's obvious that Clawson is indeed making progress bringing in more more ACC-ready kids, especially after a year or so in the program. Keep in mind, Clawson has still never had a class finish in the top 50 in the nation, or higher than 9th in the ACC, but has turned WFU into a top 30 program (hopefully to stay).

I know he has the #algorithm and all, but imagine what we could do with more elite prospects that fit the similar mold that he's seeking (thinking the ones that are often going to Stanford, ND, Duke, etc). Gaining more national attention in the coming years and sending more kids to the NFL (good start with Duke/Jessie) should certainly help.

I would imagine on the field achievements factor into the algorithm. Perhaps that's why we're reaching for the 4* OLB from Auburn HS.

Not sure if this was mentioned before but Big Mike made the final Top247 (218) list and got bumped to a four-star.

I’m not sure we’ve had a player bumped up to 4* the week ever especially not this late in the game.

While I am optimistic with clawson and recruiting, I’m sometimes a little discouraged to see us get fewer and fewer players with other P5 offers. Obviously he has gotten results so far with the guys he brings in, so it’s hard to argue. As someone else also mentioned, imagine what he could do with recruits that are viewed as more highly rated. Hoping a few years of success really starts to show in the rankings. Already a pretty good start to the 2018 class.

While I am optimistic with clawson and recruiting, I’m sometimes a little discouraged to see us get fewer and fewer players with other P5 offers. Obviously he has gotten results so far with the guys he brings in, so it’s hard to argue. As someone else also mentioned, imagine what he could do with recruits that are viewed as more highly rated. Hoping a few years of success really starts to show in the rankings. Already a pretty good start to the 2018 class.

Some of our better players/stars right now had 0, 1, 2 P5 offers. Benzinger (0), Dortch (1/2), Bates (1?), Scotty (1/2), Phill Haynes was incredibly under recruited, pretty sure Bassey too.

Aside from the top 250/500 (small number) recruits on these recruiting websites, I don't really pay attention. Obviously it's great if we get a Mike Edwards/Mike Allen who is highly regarded, but.... Clawson was vocal about recruiting websites in 2017, paraphrasing: "It's a good gig (these websites), but should not be taken as the Gospel..."

Some of our better players/stars right now had 0, 1, 2 P5 offers. Benzinger (0), Dortch (1/2), Bates (1?), Scotty (1/2), Phill Haynes was incredibly under recruited, pretty sure Bassey too.

Aside from the top 250/500 (small number) recruits on these recruiting websites, I don't really pay attention. Obviously it's great if we get a Mike Edwards/Mike Allen who is highly regarded, but.... Clawson was vocal about recruiting websites in 2017, paraphrasing: "It's a good gig (these websites), but should not be taken as the Gospel..."

I agree with many of your points. I generally don’t really care what the ranking of the player is, but more who else offers. Generally, the more offers a player has, the better the player. As clawson has shown the last several years, this is not always the case.

If Ryan Anderson and Justin Herron aren't drafted, they'll almost certainly be picked up as UDFA. They were graded out very highly at their respective positions so wouldn't be surprised to see them drafted. Would help OL recruitment to have two lineman in the NFL that weren't ranked highly coming in (and hopefully more with the pipleline we have coming through). We've already got two stud lineman coming in this year.

If Ryan Anderson and Justin Herron aren't drafted, they'll almost certainly be picked up as UDFA. They were graded out very highly at their respective positions so wouldn't be surprised to see them drafted. Would help OL recruitment to have two lineman in the NFL that weren't ranked highly coming in (and hopefully more with the pipleline we have coming through). We've already got two stud lineman coming in this year.

+1
OL is a long term (2-3 years) development cycle.
Demonstrating that he/we can take under-appreciated recruits and turn them into NFL players would be huge
(kinda like Danny developing big men.....but that's another thread).

+1
OL is a long term (2-3 years) development cycle.
Demonstrating that he/we can take under-appreciated recruits and turn them into NFL players would be huge
(kinda like Danny developing big men.....but that's another thread).

In 2014 a guy came in to talk to the football team and asked them to raise their hand if they thought they would make it to the NFL. The majority of the team raised their hand, which was laughable then. Now if that same guy asked that question, its legitimate for a lot of guys to raise their hand. Congrats to Clawson for developing the program in every way possible.

I don't keep up with FB recruiting as much as hoops but holy shit that kid had some big time offers.

Echoing Dekin and providing some other examples such as S.C. Top 10 Emmanuel Walker. Manny was a lanky 205 pound DE as a HS Sr and all schools were aware that he’d need a couple of years of weight training.His speed,length,vertical and penchant for sacks made him highly prized.

Today Manny is 6’4 and 235 and we should begin looking for him as a rising RS Sophomore and the 3 years going forward.

*Wake Forest beat Georgia, Penn State, Clemson and South Carolina among a host of other schools who offered...

Echoing Dekin and providing some other examples such as S.C. Top 10 Emmanuel Walker. Manny was a lanky 205 pound DE as a HS Sr and all schools were aware that he’d need a couple of years of weight training.His speed,length,vertical and penchant for sacks made him highly prized.

Today Manny is 6’4 and 235 and we should begin looking for him as a rising RS Sophomore and the 3 years going forward.

*Wake Forest beat Georgia, Penn State, Clemson and South Carolina among a host of other schools who offered...

but wait.....there's more

Manny is an excellent all round athlete. In high school, he also ran the 100 meter hurdles and finished 2nd in the state in high jump - 6' 6".
(If he can't get through or around a defender, he'll be able to go OVER them).
Could be a great special teams player to block punts and FGs

Wow, ole Lectro's back. Clemson better watch out...their recruiting doesn't stand a chance against Wake once he's done with the analysis. :rock:

Be nice to Lectro. It is nice to have a perpetual optimist on these boards. Reading any of our basketball threads is enough to cause me to want to "go Oedipus" and claw mine own eyes out.

but wait.....there's more

Manny is an excellent all round athlete. In high school, he also ran the 100 meter hurdles and finished 2nd in the state in high jump - 6' 6".
(If he can't get through or around a defender, he'll be able to go OVER them).
Could be a great special teams player to block punts and FGs

*I have always been skeptical (the Wake fan in me ;)) but Manny earned those offers in part due to the State sack record and his,ahem, camp 40 time of 4.48 and 37” vertical as he was named Smokehouse Top Senior and overall MVP

Yes, be nice to Lectro, RacerDeac's type are a dime a dozen here, Lectro is one of a kind. :werd:

Back