• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

After reading the Tenn article again, I'm fine. The article uses boilerplate OL quotes and the author paraphases that Miller is decommitting. I'm sure the author is just a bad writer, but if Miller straight up said, "I told the Wake coaches I was opening up my recruitment. Rocky Top!" the author would have quoted him.

Definitely agree it's a weirdly written article. I'm not worried at the moment - just posted it for new information some might be interested in. Even if he decommits I wouldn't counts us out on him, plus being early in the cycle we have plenty of time to address a loss if it ends up being one.

Miller committed over a year before signing day. How many players who committed that early decommitted?

A Tenn supporter/blogger writing something is different from the recruit tweeting the same thing.

Let's hope this is just a guy who wants to travel on someone else's dime, look at some other places and get a better context for his decision.

Gotta love the recruiting thread:

A few months ago: "Oh no! Clawson has a bunch of commits from guys with only one P5 offer!
Now: "Oh no! Clawson has commits from guys who have tons of P5 offers!
I agree. I worry about the number of players at a position. Grobe would run thin with the numbers. Clawson is tougher to figure out because his players play different positions on the defense. I doesn't matter what they are when they get to WF, it's what they turn into.

It's completely normal for kids to take visits, especially official visits, after they verbally commit. In fact it's weird for them not to. If you could go visit 5 college campuses for free as a HS junior/senior, wouldn't you? I'd probably go to USC, ASU, Bama, Ole Miss, and Georgia, if I was good enough.

Article from last week

Article on Miller from last week

Tuesday, in the space of about 12 hours, Charlotte Country Day all-conference offensive lineman Triston Miller picked up three major college scholarship offers.

National Signing Day for high school seniors is Wednesday. Miller, a 17-year-old junior, will have to wait at least until the early signing period in the fall before he can sign with a school, but he has many options now.

After Tuesday’s avalanche, Miller has 10 Division I scholarship offers.

That’s a long way from just five months ago when he was riding in the car with his father, overcome with emotion because he kept watching his friends get offers and he didn’t have one.

“He played with a couple kids on (a youth team) and they had gotten offers one day last fall,” said Miller’s father, Daryl. “One, in particular, got an offer from Miami, and Triston sat there and he was happy for him, but then he stopped talking. I’m like, ‘What’s wrong with Triston?’ He said he just wanted to be left alone.”

Daryl Miller looked over and saw his son, 6-foot-6 and 274 pounds, with a face full of tears. When they got home, Triston’s mother ran out and hugged him, telling him to be patient. Daryl Miller said he dropped his head.

“I felt bad,” Daryl Miller said. “It was like, ‘He’s losing faith in all this.’ I was very worried. You look at social media and you think, ‘What is my kid not doing?’ And you see him crying in the car and you can’t fix it. All you can do is keep telling him the same thing he gets tired of hearing, ‘Be patient.’ How many times can you tell your kid that until he doubts it? It’s like, ‘Is this really ever going to happen?’”

For Triston Miller, it happened in September, early in his junior season. He got his first offer from Duke. A few weeks later, Wake Forest offered. A few weeks after that, Miller committed to the Demon Deacons.

But since the season ended, Miller has turned into one of the area’s hottest recruits. He’s picked up offers from Charlotte, East Carolina, Liberty, Maryland and Tennessee. Then, on Tuesday, things really got crazy. Miller got offers from Georgia Tech, Purdue and West Virginia on the same day.

“It was surreal,” Daryl Miller said. “I would never have dreamed this would happen, you know? I’m at a loss for words, actually. I’m very proud of him.”

Now, Daryl Miller said North Carolina and Virginia have begun to recruit his son, and the college interest seems to grow by the day.

Triston Miller has come a long way from crying in the car after practice.

“I wasn’t expecting this,” Daryl Miller said Tuesday night. “I can’t say if it’ll stop. I hope not. God has a way of letting things come when they come. It’s just an amazing feeling.”

Sounds like he's been yearning for attention.
Well, he's got it now.
But now, he has to figure out what he really wants to do

Would be nice if one of our Les or BSD got an interview with him to clarify where he stands.

Gotta love the recruiting thread:

A few months ago: "Oh no! Clawson has a bunch of commits from guys with only one P5 offer!
Now: "Oh no! Clawson has commits from guys who have tons of P5 offers!

Ideally you have commitments from guys with other P5 offers who don't reopen their recruiting.

56 rec, 636 yards, 4 TD last year.

Not sure we need a WR, but he looks like a solid pickup.

56 rec, 636 yards, 4 TD last year.

Not sure we need a WR, but he looks like a solid pickup.

Guess Coach Claw is confident that WF is going to be throwing it around a lot in 2018...

Guess Coach Claw is confident that WF is going to be throwing it around a lot in 2018...

Hey, if we plan to increase time of possession, our WRs are going to need more breathers.

Looks like he had reportedly narrowed it down to BYU and Vanderbilt a couple of weeks ago. I guess we're swooping in late.

He's Austin Collie's little bro. He did a 2 year Mormon mission, then redshirted at BYU, then transferred to Hawaii. He's 24 or so.

There's room for him to be a backup slot WR behind Dortch and Hines. If Clawson is going to play both of them together, it's very important to have an experienced backup. We don't really have another scholarship slot WR on the roster.

sucks about Miller. Really wish we could hold onto these kids. Also wish they’d just wait to commit to a school until they are sure of their decision. Best of luck to Miller.

Back