• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

ok thanks so much I will let my friends know, I never know how to get inside information like that so thanks so much with sharing with us ... I will look smart with my friends ... I'll tell em it's just a hunch and not tell them that you told me ... they will be absolutely blown away .. this is awesome ... thanks again ... I always enjoy looking smart

You’re one weird troll!

Isiah Chaney just committed, my source felt good about him the whole time. 3star DE out of GA. Big time pickup. Had offers from Syracuse, Vandy and was picking up interest.

Isiah Chaney just committed, my source felt good about him the whole time. 3star DE out of GA. Big time pickup. Had offers from Syracuse, Vandy and was picking up interest.

Welcome Isaiah!
Another player from Cartersville HS. Same as Jacorey Johns in our current class
Also, Trey Creamer - who we targeted as a CB in 2017 class (he went to Iowa) and Trevor Lawrence, the #1 recruit in the country (going to Clemson).
Cartersville is loaded with talent. Glad we seem to have good connections there.

Love how hard the staff works on the recruiting trail (which engenders faith that our staff evals are far more accurate than the recruiting websites).

Love how hard the staff works on the recruiting trail (which engenders faith that our staff evals are far more accurate than the recruiting websites).

Its a lot harder to evaluate 1000's of FB players as the recruiting services have to do. Its easier to evaluate 100-200 guys seriously. The algorithm probably helps target which guys to include in those heavily evaluated by the staff.

Also, some part of the recruiting websites evals are skewed to get clicks from big fan bases.

Agree. Hire slowly and fire quicklyer Elmot. Sawyel does not seem have "it". We had enough talent on Defense not to be giving up 35+ routinely.

Clueless. Sawyel is a fantastic coach and we were extremely lucky to get him after Elko’s departure.

His defense was shit down the stretch

Bassey, Glenn, Dawson.....most of the back seven were playing 70-90 snaps a game and sometimes over 100. Our back seven depth was very lacking and you could question why they didn't burn more redshirts at those positions. It was unsustainable and it showed down the stretch. Losing Okonye to transfer and Austin for whatever led to him sitting out and now transferring had a big impact along with the injury to Traveon Redd then Bates. Have to wonder how close they were to burning more shirts like Hardimon. Does Troy Simon transfer if they played him? Do you play a fresh inexperienced guy or an experienced guy with dead legs? The joy of armchair quarterbacking!

Bassey, Glenn, Dawson.....most of the back seven were playing 70-90 snaps a game and sometimes over 100. Our back seven depth was very lacking and you could question why they didn't burn more redshirts at those positions. It was unsustainable and it showed down the stretch. Losing Okonye to transfer and Austin for whatever led to him sitting out and now transferring had a big impact along with the injury to Traveon Redd then Bates. Have to wonder how close they were to burning more shirts like Hardimon. Does Troy Simon transfer if they played him? Do you play a fresh inexperienced guy or an experienced guy with dead legs? The joy of armchair quarterbacking!

Obviously the choice was experienced guys on dead legs, save the red shirts and try to outscore other teams. Worked well enough but next year, better defense in the second half of the season might be a good thing.

Ruggerio's two minute offense (3 and outs that took 2 minutes off the clock) didn't help our defense much either.

Ruggerio's two minute offense (3 and outs that took 2 minutes off the clock) didn't help our defense much either.

Defenses across the country are struggling to catch up to all the no huddle offenses that are sweeping college football. This is going require the building of quality depth and a very liberal substitution pattern based on snap count and not situation. There is going to be an emphasis on athleticism and open field tackling ability in recruiting as the defense combats RPO offense getting their playmakers into open space. Defense is going to become more RPO on its side of the ball. All this is exciting to watch as it unfolds. It reminds me when Mackovic was here. We were really the first team in the ACC to throw the ball 40 to 50 times a game. Other teams could not defend it. In our great win against Auburn that year, the War Eagles looked helpless going against pass after pass in the second half. Clawson is smart enough to realize the approach to defense will have to be cutting edge to sustain his efforts.

In 1979, Wake was fifth in the nation in pass attempts. Outside of GT there was not an ACC or SEC team in the top 20. Went to a bowl that year after being 1-10 the prior year. People thought Mackovic was a cutting edge genius.

In 1979, Wake was fifth in the nation in pass attempts. Outside of GT there was not an ACC or SEC team in the top 20. Went to a bowl that year after being 1-10 the prior year. People thought Mackovic was a cutting edge genius.

GT as one of the top passing teams in the country.
My, how things have changed.

Ga Tech was an independent in 1979. They also fired coach Pepper Rodgers after the season after he racked up home wins against W&M, Duke, Air Force, and Navy.

Ga Tech was an independent in 1979. They also fired coach Pepper Rodgers after the season after he racked up home wins against W&M, Duke, Air Force, and Navy.

Ah, memories. Thought GT had joined in 79 but maybe they agreed and didn’t play in ACC until 80. Left ACC with only 7 members for about 8-9 years which would kill a conference today. Irony is GT left SEC as being too tough for an academically minded school and then in 90 split National title with Colorado.
Every time I see Mackovic mentioned I always think of the choreography of the kick off preparation. It really got the crowd into the kick off. Wonder if there is any video of that somewhere.

Back