• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Ah, memories. Thought GT had joined in 79 but maybe they agreed and didn’t play in ACC until 80. Left ACC with only 7 members for about 8-9 years which would kill a conference today. Irony is GT left SEC as being too tough for an academically minded school and then in 90 split National title with Colorado.
Every time I see Mackovic mentioned I always think of the choreography of the kick off preparation. It really got the crowd into the kick off. Wonder if there is any video of that somewhere.

I think Tech may have joined by then and started playing basketball, but didn't play football for a a few more years, probably due to schedules. The next year, 1980, they tied #1 Notre Dame at Grant field on the same afternoon that Georgia beat Florida 26-21 on the Lindsay Scott play and Georgia moved into the #1 slot. That was Bill Curry's first year and the team went 1-9-1.

Article from Rutgers Rivals and video. Great size for HS senior DE.
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/d-l...-to-visit-rutgers-as-his-recruitment-heats-up

Other schools are also beginning to show interest.

“Wake Forest contacts me a lot, a lot of the coaches have sent me written mail. I talk to the d-line coach from there almost every day,” Burby said. “I’m hearing from Indiana, UMass and Boston College as well.”

And what is Burby seeking out in a college?

“I want to major in Business, so definitely a good business program. I am looking for some big time football and a school with really good academics.”

Article from Rutgers Rivals and video. Great size for HS senior DE.
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/d-l...-to-visit-rutgers-as-his-recruitment-heats-up

Other schools are also beginning to show interest.

“Wake Forest contacts me a lot, a lot of the coaches have sent me written mail. I talk to the d-line coach from there almost every day,” Burby said. “I’m hearing from Indiana, UMass and Boston College as well.”

And what is Burby seeking out in a college?

“I want to major in Business, so definitely a good business program. I am looking for some big time football and a school with really good academics.”

Wake Forest:
Check, check and check.

Wake Forest Football Recruiting - 2019 Jeremiah Gray commits!

I guess we need a receiver now

In 1979, Wake was fifth in the nation in pass attempts. Outside of GT there was not an ACC or SEC team in the top 20. Went to a bowl that year after being 1-10 the prior year. People thought Mackovic was a cutting edge genius.

He was. Plus had the greatest kickoff formation ever!

2018 slot receiver Joey Ray of East Surry committed to WF today. Preferred walk on. Big stats in HS in a 1A conference and very quick/fast. Might help us down the road as he gets stronger.

2018 slot receiver Joey Ray of East Surry committed to WF today. Preferred walk on. Big stats in HS in a 1A conference and very quick/fast. Might help us down the road as he gets stronger.

Joey Ray - good looking athlete

5’10-190 4.42 40 / 35” vertical / 300 BP / 440 squat — Ivy offers, Citadel, etc.,

61 total TD’s career / 4230 rushing

With those stats, bring back the orbit sweep out of the RPO.

His Hudl highlights are pretty impressive. His family moved to Pilot Mt. from Florida a few years ago so his dad could open a winery. He was coached by a very good veteran HS coach and WF grad in Dave Diamont. I’m assuming that he will have an opportunity to earn a scholarship or that he might qualify for an academic scholarship.

His Hudl highlights are pretty impressive. His family moved to Pilot Mt. from Florida a few years ago so his dad could open a winery. He was coached by a very good veteran HS coach and WF grad in Dave Diamont. I’m assuming that he will have an opportunity to earn a scholarship or that he might qualify for an academic scholarship.

Walk on sounds about right. Saw him play in person several times. He seemed decent, but never did anything that made you think D1. His competition was unbelievably bad. Hopefully he turns out to be a good quality player.

Walk on sounds about right. Saw him play in person several times. He seemed decent, but never did anything that made you think D1. His competition was unbelievably bad. Hopefully he turns out to be a good quality player.

I’ve texted a few people today who also saw him play and they told me the same thing. Win/win situation if he is a preferred walk on. Donovan Greene is the guy from that area who we need to get. Notre Dame, Duke and NCSU will make it tough to do.

I’ve texted a few people today who also saw him play and they told me the same thing. Win/win situation if he is a preferred walk on. Donovan Greene is the guy from that area who we need to get. Notre Dame, Duke and NCSU will make it tough to do.

Yeah I saw Mt Airy play and the Greene kid stood out. You could tell he was better than everybody else on the field. It just seems like Starmount/Mt Airy/East Surry have a running back as good or better than the Ray kid about every year. Those guys never get blinked at by Wake. Maybe this guy will be a walk-on to all conference story worth a 30 for 30 one day.

I wonder if the algorithm indicates that slot WR is a position you get it quality production at from a walk on.

Anthony Manning and Isaiah Isaac are pretty exciting guys. Isaiah has great hands and real good wheels. Transferred from California after JR season and that usually puts a guy off his recruiting trajectory. Real nice find.

Anthony Manning has outstanding shuttle times and is 4.4 flat guy with long arms. Great change of direction - like a Beal or Dortch and keeps his speed through his cuts. Good strength 270 bench (at this stage) and is really just coming into his own as an offensive threat. Really talented kid

J Ray will understudy both of those guys and maybe we got lucky and found a gem here..built like Mike Campanaro but hasn’t really played against solid competition. Will be fun to watch him give it a shot. Strong shuttle time of 3.93 — if nothing else he will push the other young slots in the weight room

Back