• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Nick Toomer to Stanford. Gordon counts to the '19 total, but will be off set by someone leaving after the season. We have 15 (Pelic would be 16) commits. What is left to get, beside Goodson?

Would like to see tight end and O line to finish the recruiting cycle.

Pretty tough competition for the final 8 - GT, UNC, UT, S Carolina, FSU, UGA, WVA
Cam - Be a Deac!

Yes, the 7 schools other than Wake Forest have stiff competition.

Last edited:
Agreed. Also like to hear him say "facilities" in the same breath as Wake Forest.

Without question the facilities, that were a detriment, are now a huge plus.... I give Wellman full credit for coming through.

Meh, Wellman was merely adapting to the arms race of college football. Also, listening to Clawson's demands.

Meh, Wellman was merely adapting to the arms race of college football. Also, listening to Clawson's demands.

Not quite as simple as that.

Like it or not, Wellman will be regarded as the most successful AD in Wake Forest history for the foreseeable future.

A lot of the facilities upgrades have been on the drawing board for some timewaiting for funding. Clawson’s presence helped raise the $ and he clearly had major input on the designs. Still have to give Wellman credit for getting it done-a lot of hoops to jump through to build anything on campus.

Not quite as simple as that.

Like it or not, Wellman will be regarded as the most successful AD in Wake Forest history for the foreseeable future.
I mean, there have only been five in total and 2 since 1964. Hooks was AD for 28 years and Wellman has been here ever since. He's literally the only modern AD and the only AD a good portion of our fan base even remembers.

He's the best AD we've had since Hooks retired. He's the worst AD we've had in 25+ years.

Last edited:
I mean, there have only been five in total and 2 since 1964. Hooks was AD for 28 years and Wellman has been here ever since. He's literally the only modern AD and the only AD a good portion of our fan base even remembers.

He's the best AD we've had since Hooks retired. He's the worst AD we've had in 25+ years.

He hasn't kept his job by being bad at it. Notwithstanding his really poor basketball coaching hires since Skip, the number of national contenders that Wake has produced through his tenure has been impressive and the improved facilities are remarkable.

He hasn't kept his job by being bad at it. Notwithstanding his really poor basketball coaching hires since Skip, the number of national contenders that Wake has produced through his tenure has been impressive and the improved facilities are remarkable.

I would say that with the money top tier P5 programs bring in these days not having facilities like we have now would be remarkable, in a bad way. I don't know if Wellman's "silver-tongued oratory" somehow compels large donors to back and sponsor some of these new facilities, but I'm more grateful to the actual donors for these things than I am to Wellman.

Anyone who would join that dumpster fire of a program right now with other legitimate offers from solid P5 teams is on crazy pills

Those Swahili and Independent Studies in Rest and Relaxation have a certain appeal that can be hard to compete with.... no telling what New Jersey as a Second Language offers the discerning student athlete....

Under Wellman the basketball program has collapsed. For a large portion of WF fans, successes in other WF sports is irrelevant.

If every program is considered equal, fair to say the athletic department as a whole is on solid ground, if not better, right now.

If everything is judged with the understanding that the basketball program is WF's flagship program, with everything else way behind in importance, the athletic department is a mess.

As an extreme example, Bama could win Natties in basketball, baseball, gymnastics, golf, tennis and track and field, but if the football program is 5-7, the athletic department is in a shambles.

Back