• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Under Wellman the basketball program has collapsed. For a large portion of WF fans, successes in other WF sports is irrelevant.

If every program is considered equal, fair to say the athletic department as a whole is on solid ground, if not better, right now.

If everything is judged with the understanding that the basketball program is WF's flagship program, with everything else way behind in importance, the athletic department is a mess.

As an extreme example, Bama could win Natties in basketball, baseball, gymnastics, golf, tennis and track and field, but if the football program is 5-7, the athletic department is in a shambles.

Thus, the WF AD earning approximately $1 mil. annually is top prize in NCAA because you have such long tenure with much less pressure. Interestingly enough for hard critiques of Wellman, “the devil you know can be far better than the devil you don’t know.” On the Bama standard of which I disapprove Wellman has serious problems getting a passing grade. But WF standard is different and better. Still the missteps in our heretofore signature progrm are nothing short of disappointing and perplexing. AD hiring is a VERY BIG DEAL.

UNC is small threat in the Will Smart equation. That offer deserves respect but WF is the far superior opportunity.

Goodson officially committed to iowa.

Call it East Coast bias or whatever you may like, but unless you are a wrestler or going to the Iowa writer's workshop, I don't see why you pick Iowa over Wake. When Clark commits to ND, I will understand that more, the history and the academics, but ya Iowa, dunno.

Call it East Coast bias or whatever you may like, but unless you are a wrestler or going to the Iowa writer's workshop, I don't see why you pick Iowa over Wake. When Clark commits to ND, I will understand that more, the history and the academics, but ya Iowa, dunno.

I guess I could see it if you are from the midwest. If you are from the Southeast or West Coast ... no way.

Second kid from North Gwinnett HS to attend Iowa in the last two years.

Hope he likes purple-faced head coaches screaming at him.

Good. We can hit him hard when we play them. Clean but hard.

I think it’s pretty unlikely he’ll see the field at Notre Dame. They have high 4 star qbs committed from their 2017 and 2018 classes, and already have a high 4 star for their 2020 class. I’d imagine that trend will continue.

Good. That just means old purple face Kelly will scream at him even more.

I hate that Clark decommitted from us, but another way to look at this is that Norte Dame has poached one of our commits.
Not sure this has happened before.
It shows that we're attracting a higher level of talent.

Good. We can hit him hard when we play them. Clean but hard.

I hope so so badly that we can beat Notre Dame now. That would be such a big momentum win for us. Give us a good chance to be 5-0 when Clemson comes to town if we can tough it out against BC as well, and Clark would be thinking twice about his decision. I bet Clawson hasn't even given him a second thought, though.

I hope so so badly that we can beat Notre Dame now. That would be such a big momentum win for us. Give us a good chance to be 5-0 when Clemson comes to town if we can tough it out against BC as well, and Clark would be thinking twice about his decision. I bet Clawson hasn't even given him a second thought, though.

I promise you there's not a single coach on the Wake Forest staff who is the least bit concerned about Clark "thinking twice about his decision." They moved on pretty quickly.

Back