• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I'll move the guys that aren't redshirting over to the '20-'21 column once they are announced or burn through it in game play.

I don't know how to embed the tweet, but we got a commitment from Cedric Jiles, grad transfer CB from Mississippi State

Interesting. I guess he officially got a medical redshirt for his true frosh year.

I don't know how to embed the tweet, but we got a commitment from Cedric Jiles, grad transfer CB from Mississippi State

Looks like a decent pickup. Started 8 games for Mississippi State last year. Returned a pick for a TD against Ole Miss. Had some injury problems earlier in his career. Originally was a 3-star recruit in 2012. Gives our secondary some additional experience, at least.

Very excited about today’s commit from post-grad cornerback Cedric Jiles (Mississippi State). He is a sixth year player with the approval for the additional year already in hand. Comes with a lot of game experience (35 games, including games where he played only special teams). 31 tackles plus a pick six in the Egg Bowl last year.

Adding some experience at this position could be a big deal. As with any post grad, expectations need to be kept in check. But I think there is some real potential that Jiles can have an impact this season.

Also, I noticed while looking up Mississippi State last year that they made it to a bowl despite finishing 5-7 in the regular season. I thought there was a floor of a 0.500 record? Is this due to the addition of bowl games over the past few years that they need to add sub-0.500 teams? Don't like the optics of that at all, if true, though I know it's all about $$.

Appears to offset if not constitute a net gain for loss of Okonye.

Realize that this may already have been stated, and I missed it, but Okonye landed at Purdue because their DB coach is Derrick Jackson who coached at WF under both Grobe and Clawson.

This is a pretty good grab by the staff. I would expect him to start at one of the corner spots if he is healthy and have Bassey/Henderson battle it out for the other starting spot.

Hope he proves to be considerably better than the last grad who transferred into our defensive backflield.

He looks like a player

Also, I noticed while looking up Mississippi State last year that they made it to a bowl despite finishing 5-7 in the regular season. I thought there was a floor of a 0.500 record? Is this due to the addition of bowl games over the past few years that they need to add sub-0.500 teams? Don't like the optics of that at all, if true, though I know it's all about $$.

Yes, if not enough 6-6 or better teams, they drop to 5-7 of those they rule with the best academic record. Had Duke won a 5th last year they would have been in that mix.

Why do people gripe so much about teams that win 5, 6, and 7 games going to a bowl game ? WGAF ?

Under .500? Send 'em to Shreveport. Punishment enough.

Yes, if not enough 6-6 or better teams, they drop to 5-7 of those they rule with the best academic record. Had Duke won a 5th last year they would have been in that mix.

Mississippi State had one of the best academic records? #educationsnob

Back