• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

B1G schools are starting to recruit NJ really hard, particulary tOSU and Michigan.

PSU and to a lesser extent, tOSU have historically recruited NJ. They did the same analysis I did. A decent supply of kids. No real in state competition. Three- four hours to State College, PA. About 9 to Columbus. (Depends on where in NJ you pick as starting point.)

It's not like nobody recruits NJ. Kelvin Harmon is a NJ guy. State's starting RG will be a NJ kid. Got a WR and Elite Eleven finalist Devin Leary out of NJ last year as well. Talent is in NJ, plenty of competition as well in that area.

They always have.

Not like they have lately. I've been a Buckeye fan (I know, I know) for years, and have never seen this much interest in NJ talent. And Michigan wanted in-roads so much with top talent and pipeline schools that they hired coach Chris Partridge from Paramus (Rashan Gary and Jabrill Peppers' school) in 2015.

Mentioned this on the last BSD Recruit Report podcast with my brother that NJ has all the potential to be a secondary pipeline state for Wake going forward. It's not nearly as talented as some of the schools mentioned above, but the talent it does produce given the fact that Rutgers' brand connection to the state is fairly weak means it is wide open in terms of recruits. We won't be able to compete with PSU and OSU for the blue chip NJ guys, but the mid-to-high 3* range is an area we could really take advantage of if we wanted to increase our scouting in the area.

To put a finer point on this....

Have we ever grabbed a consensus top recruit from St Peter's or from programs like Don Bosco, Bergen Catholic or St Joseph Regional ? I know we've got the kid from Delbarton ( a very good academic school ) but they're a step below these schools in football. Tucker was a diamond in the rough from an even smaller football wise private school in Morristown Beard. AIR, many/most of our other Jerseyans hailed from South Jersey.

That's what's great about getting this Jones kid from a St. Peter's. ND, BC, Penn State, Rutgers, etcetera have heavily recruited these programs annually....and now Wake has a foot in the door for the future.

Delbarton dominates in hockey, soccer, and lacrosse. In football they've been grouped with far bigger schools and though their program is good, it's nowhere close Bosco's, for example.

Just saw that Chase committed, excellent news. With camp starting tomorrow I can't wait to hear about the QB situation.

Duke lost another 4* commit this morning. All signs point to the kid flipping to UNC

Duke losing a commit is one thing.
Losing a commit to UNC is another story.
Double the pain.
If true, leaving Duke for an extremely unstable coaching and programmatic environment at Carolina really makes very little sense. A stable home to jump to in state is either Wake or State, not Carolina.

Who advises these kids these days?

If true, leaving Duke for an extremely unstable coaching and programmatic environment at Carolina really makes very little sense. A stable home to jump to in state is either Wake or State, not Carolina.

With that de-commitment, Duke falls to #36 in the 247 sports 2019 rankings and WF moves up to #33. On the downside, if he heads to NC as predicted they'll rise a good bit from their present #57 position.

Perhaps not, but we play Duke every year and are more of rival for recruits with them than for UNC. A loss for Duke no matter who benefits is a positive for us.

Agreed, nice to see duke suffer a bit. That’s the third 4 Star they’ve lost this year. It started with the loss of RB Knight and WR green (who came to wake!). Now CB Davis.

Seems like every year Duke gets several 4 and even an occasional 5 star commit pretty early in the process, only to see most of them jump ship as things play out.

Apparently Wake never offered this kid, so doubt he flips here. BUT Brenton Strange did put Wake in his top 8 (atta way to narrow down the list), which makes me happy, because I enjoy watching big TE, and at 6'5 this kid fits the bill.

247 says we offered.

Was talking about Strange. Didn’t see the Duke decommit named above.

Back