• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I've mentioned this before, as has guitardeac, but perhaps Groulx could start at DB as a true frosh? Assuming no attrition, we'll still have a bunch of seemingly good WRs and a bunch of sub-par DBs.

I really don’t think it’s a talent issue in the secondary.

Dicks, Greer, Gray, etc. (even Taylor) have the physical tools, but their technique is lacking - both in reads and positioning. That’s on coaching.

I really don’t think it’s a talent issue in the secondary.

Dicks, Greer, Gray, etc. (even Taylor) have the physical tools, but their technique is lacking - both in reads and positioning. That’s on coaching.

Agreed

the “blame the players” faction on this board is definitely among its dumbest factions

we’re undisciplined on defense; we played well with in the past with similarly ranked recruits

coaching matters. accountability matters.

Yeah, we have P5 talent across the board. We don't have mid-90's Caldwell players with no speed. Our guys are fast and agile enough to stay with receivers in our conference. As mentioned, we lack discipline and coaching. Clawson is putting the first steps in place to fix both.

My one caveat to this, because I agree its on the coaching so far with the D, is that Taylor does not resemble a P5 cornerback in coverage. I don't think he has the ball skills or speed/agility to be a cover corner for a P5 school.

the “blame the players” faction on this board is definitely among its dumbest factions

we’re undisciplined on defense; we played well with in the past with similarly ranked recruits

coaching matters. accountability matters.

Probably not as dumb as the "I don't understand nuance" faction. That it's 100% this or 100% that - can't be anything in between. Does coaching matter? Absolutely. Does accountability matter? Absolutely. Do players matter? Absolutely. Does experience matter? Unless you bring in mostly ready to play 4 and 5 stars every year, absolutely. It's why teams have depth charts and play some guys more than others. It's why NFL teams have scouts. It's why you are probably going to be more successful with an NFL second rounder playing a position versus someone that was playing on the other side of the ball six months ago. Why you are probably going to have a drop off when a starter gets hurt. Why at a place like Wake, Duke, Vandy, etc. you are probably going to have more success playing a red-shirt junior versus a true freshman.

A big part of coaching is understanding what your strengths and weaknesses are from a personnel standpoint and adjusting to that; playing to your strength and protecting your weaknesses. And based on Clawson's comments, it sounds like that failure weighed into this change. It sounds like he plans on simplifying things going forward and play a bend but don't break style. Actually, it sounds like we were trying to do that against ND but broke anyway.

But hey, on the other hand, look how much better our offense got when we fired the offensive coordinator and OL coach before last season. I mean, that was the only thing different about our offense 3-4 seasons ago and last season, right?

Probably not as dumb as the "I don't understand nuance" faction. That it's 100% this or 100% that - can't be anything in between. Does coaching matter? Absolutely. Does accountability matter? Absolutely. Do players matter? Absolutely. Does experience matter? Unless you bring in mostly ready to play 4 and 5 stars every year, absolutely. It's why teams have depth charts and play some guys more than others. It's why NFL teams have scouts. It's why you are probably going to be more successful with an NFL second rounder playing a position versus someone that was playing on the other side of the ball six months ago. Why you are probably going to have a drop off when a starter gets hurt. Why at a place like Wake, Duke, Vandy, etc. you are probably going to have more success playing a red-shirt junior versus a true freshman.

A big part of coaching is understanding what your strengths and weaknesses are from a personnel standpoint and adjusting to that; playing to your strength and protecting your weaknesses. And based on Clawson's comments, it sounds like that failure weighed into this change. It sounds like he plans on simplifying things going forward and play a bend but don't break style. Actually, it sounds like we were trying to do that against ND but broke anyway.

But hey, on the other hand, look how much better our offense got when we fired the offensive coordinator and OL coach before last season. I mean, that was the only thing different about our offense 3-4 seasons ago and last season, right?

He's a dual-threat QB. If we can get him to come here we should definitely take him. Has a good arm and good legs, would be fun to watch running the RPO.

Everyone still feeling good that we'll hold onto Greene? 22fan?

I've have not seen any other discussion that he won't be here next year other than this. His last interview at BB&T field he was very happy to talk about Wake Forest. Hartman is the best young QB of all the Carolina schools too, its not like UNC is good-they suck, and he already chose us over Duke.

Cool. I don't know why I'm worried about it...Maybe because we so rarely land 4 star recruits and God hates Wake.

Everyone still feeling good that we'll hold onto Greene? 22fan?

Saw him at the game last Saturday. Talked to him briefly at the gate after the debacle. I’m sure he was disappointed by the defense but he’s a firm commit.

Back