• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Not sure where you are getting your information. There are 54 Division 1 (smallest schools) public schools in Virginia, and Franklin HS plays in a district that also houses Division2 and Division 3 teams.

I'm referring to NCAA Division 1 schools and why only one of them (Old Dominion) in his own state offered him.

Last edited:
You won’t hear me complaining about getting a raw TE with a basketball background. And he’s 6’5. The potential could be off the charts

I'm referring to NCAA Division 1 schools and why only one of them (Old Dominion) in his own state offered him.

That makes more sense! His high school is a D-1 school (Va has six divisions with D-1 for the smallest schools). I thought you were talking about being one of the 14 smallest high schools in the state. Only 10 Virginia colleges play D-1 football (only two of those Power 5), but your point is still well-taken.

That makes more sense! His high school is a D-1 school (Va has six divisions with D-1 for the smallest schools). I thought you were talking about being one of the 14 smallest high schools in the state. Only 10 Virginia colleges play D-1 football (only two of those Power 5), but your point is still well-taken.

He was offered by the number 1 program in the state, however.

Does anybody have any info on the last "stud" DE we landed, Mike Allen? Still injuried, in the doghouse, hasn't developed, etc?

Clawson mentioned on the radio show that Allen has had good practices the last two days.

On Rivals, Serigne was a 2 star recruit and only had 3 FCS in state offers. In fact, he was not even the highest rated TE in Wake Forest’s recruiting class that year.

I don't look at stars as much as I do offers and as far as I can tell he had 2, Old Dominion and Wake. He could end up be a decent player (and I hope he is) but seems to me the odds are long

Repeat after me, "Recruiting is an inexact science, and DC is been a damn good scientist!"

People fall in love with their exceptions whenever the question of recruiting ratings comes up.

DC clearly has a list of plan B's that he feels confident about if Plan A does not work out. We lost one QB, and he offers another one very soon after. We lose out on a TE, and he offers another one very soon after. Coach also does not have an issue going after players that have previously committed to other team. There are plenty of other TE's who have not committed, but Coach seems to have a specific idea in mind, Strange is 6'5 210', and Ford is 6'5 205'.

While some people are saying stars don't matter or that it is in inexact science, I would still prefer Wake get more 5 stars than 2 stars, however this is Wake Forest, and finding those players who are the right fit, and those who can grow into roles is more what the staff is going for than highest rated. I have been clamoring for a big TE, and Ford seems to fit the bill. While every 2 star recruit will not turn into Mack or Dortch, Clawson clearly knows what he likes and goes for it rather than basing offers on ratings or other offers.

Now if the staff is reading this, please find a DT who can grow into a 300 pounder.

Player development is important, and from time-to-time thorough recruiters will find diamonds in the rough. But you can't rely on that strategy to compete on a consistent basis. A team of 4 star recruits will out-perform a team of 2/3 star recruits over time.

Ford appears to a much better basketball player at this point but appears to have very good height and reach, good hops and decent speed. Lots of upside. And he, Surratt and Donavon Greene should be able to find a few more recievers to join them on one heck of an intramural basketball team.

You guys are too much. A 6'5" basketball player at tight end. Heard of Jimmy Graham? This is a great grab for the Deacs. I am excited

Back