• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

You guys are too much. A 6'5" basketball player at tight end. Heard of Jimmy Graham? This is a great grab for the Deacs. I am excited

I always dreamed about Rodney Rogers playing TE.
Would’ve been awesome.

TE Brenton Strange went to WF camp; WF offered him (along with a ton of other schools). He was a 4 star TE. Strange committed to PSU after last weekend (I assume he went to last weekend's tOSU/PSU game). Once that option was off the table, WF offered and got a commitment from Ford. You don't have to even look at recruiting rankings to know that WF preferred Strange (the higher rated recruit); just look at the order of the offers and the commitments. That said, Clawson and his staff have been good at finding guys like Ford - off the radar guys that have come to WF and become big time players (Bates, Haynes, Benzinger, Bassey, Dortch -- all of whom may play in the NFL). As mentioned above, Ford is a multi-sport athlete from a small school; so, the reason why he is a two star is because no one has evaluated him. Our staff has; not important that the 247 guy from VA didn't know him. Dude has a high ceiling. Glad we got him.

And WF also would have preferred Archibald Bowman (TE) — can’t remember if that’s even his name — over a player like 2 star Cam Serigne

I believe we had a multi-page thread on this around this time last year. Not sure I remember how the numbers broke down of 2 and 3 Star players who were busts, against 2 and 3 Star players who panned out or exceeded expectations. I do recall many more 3 Star guys in the NFL than 4 and 5 Star, which is because there are more 3 Star recruits overall.

If you look at our roster over the last 10-15 years I think you’ll find that we’ve had more middle of the road/underrated recruits that panned out versus failed.

Anecdote: see Jesse Bates, Kevin Johnson, Chris Givens, Greg Dorth, Joe Looney, Nikita Whitlock, Alphonso Smith, Jon Abbate, Riley Skinner, John Wolford, too early to call but Sam Hartman most likely. The list goes on for WF recruits that were passed on by other programs who ended up having awesome college careers or going to the NFL.

2 Stars — to add: Aaron Curry, Kyle Wilbur, Ryan Anderson, Phil Haynes, Essang Bassey, Cam Serigne

Don't be so fucking obtuse with me son.

Now Bill, I know he is an idiot. Nevertheless, you are a gentleman.

Why not let the Junkman take out the trash? Besides, I’ve woodsheded poor Biff so many times that there is hardly any ass left to whip.

;)

And WF also would have preferred Archibald Bowman (TE) — can’t remember if that’s even his name — over a player like 2 star Cam Serigne

Got the name right, but little else. Cam Serigne was actually here when Clawson arrived and redshirted in Grobe's last year (2013). Serigne became featured heavily at tight end as a redshirt freshman in Clawson's first season, with 54 catches for 531 yards and five touchdowns.

Archibald committed in late 2014 and enrolled early. He was injured in the spring, transferred closer to home to rehab and has never again played football. He was a highly-touted high-three star with offers from Miami, Auburn, Alabama, Mississippi and UNC. There's no way to tell if he would have panned out or potentially pushed Serigne on the depth chart. Even if he hadn't, he theoretically would only be a redshirt junior this season.

At the time of his recruitment, Archibald was supposed to be the next step up at TE and push or replace Cam sooner or later. As noted above, that did not work out.

Got the name right, but little else. Cam Serigne was actually here when Clawson arrived and redshirted in Grobe's last year (2013). Serigne became featured heavily at tight end as a redshirt freshman in Clawson's first season, with 54 catches for 531 yards and five touchdowns.

Archibald committed in late 2014 and enrolled early. He was injured in the spring, transferred closer to home to rehab and has never again played football. He was a highly-touted high-three star with offers from Miami, Auburn, Alabama, Mississippi and UNC. There's no way to tell if he would have panned out or potentially pushed Serigne on the depth chart. Even if he hadn't, he theoretically would only be a redshirt junior this season.

Snap! There is a new Oracle in town.

Greene injured last night vs the worst public school football team in the state while up 49-0. Looks foot or ankle related.

I wasnt trying to get the year right..the point was the player rep comparison which is being made out here. Had the guys been in the same cycle Wake would have chosen Archibald over Cam. That’s the point

And Archibald had 4 Stars from one of the services

I couldn't disagree any more with the assertion.

Clawson and his staff don't look at star ratings to evaluate players. They take in-person, live evaluation over almost everything. That's why you see so many players get offers either during or right after Wake camps. Now, sometimes star ratings come along with offers, and a lot of other schools come calling after a Wake offer (or commitment).

The current Wake staff would have preferred the tight end that they evaluated higher, regardless of star rating.

Clawson and his staff don't look at star ratings to evaluate players. They take in-person, live evaluation over almost everything. That's why you see so many players get offers either during or right after Wake camps. Now, sometimes star ratings come along with offers, and a lot of other schools come calling after a Wake offer (or commitment).

The current Wake staff would have preferred the tight end that they evaluated higher, regardless of star rating.

Given the post game comments, any new offers coming for LBs or Safeties? Seems we need more depth.

Will be surprised if we don’t lose some commits. Things look drastically different regarding the future of WF football than in July.

Will be surprised if we don’t lose some commits. Things look drastically different regarding the future of WF football than in July.

Really?? We are 3-3, having already played two top 5 teams and a top 40ish BC with true frosh QB and lots of defensive injuries. Clawson playing the only hand he has, the long game.

We still don’t really know where we stand. This team is somewhere between 2-4 Tulane and 5-2 BC in quality. We know Hartman looks great against bad teams and horrible against good teams. We know our running game is inconsistent. We know our defense is a solid front four and questionable at best back seven. We could be a top 50 team that ran into two buzzsaws or a team in the 75-100 range. I’m afraid it’s the latter.

I didn't get to watch yesterday's debacle due to work, but from what I've seen so far this year, to call out dline "solid" is solid grade inflation.

Unadulterated Horse Shit

Back