Page 20 of 264 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070120 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 5262

Thread: Wake Forest Football Recruiting

  1. #381
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    98,457
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    Pretty sure they meant that it doesn't matter what state they're from, as long as we're maximizing our talent. I've lived in NC all my life, and don't have any issue with taking fewer NC kids, as long as it means we get better overall talent. Clawson will also assuredly prioritize and offer some lesser known NC kids as the process goes on.

    On that note, a lot of fanbases, especially state schools, have factions that really pine for local kids. Hell, even some Ohio State fans, who had the #2 class for 2017 were complaining that more Ohio kids weren't offered.
    Oh I know that's what they meant. I'm saying that this thread is for people who care about things most fans don't care about. Where prospects are from is one of them.

  2. #382
    Everyone should keep in mind that 3 of the 6 current commits are from North Carolina. 2 more are from South Carolina.

    I have observed changes each cycle in how Wake approaches recruiting from a geographic standpoint. Those changes have been gradual with the exception of Clawson's first full year to his second full year (when Wake basically withdrew from Texas and South Florida). Last year saw a heavier emphasis on Georgia. This year seems to have kept that focus on Georgia but also continued to increase the time and attention spent in Florida.

    My own theory is that Clawson's staff will always prioritize recruits from the Carolinas. But it doesn't take long to see the attractiveness of the very deep talent pools in Georgia and Florida when you are talking about filling up classes of 16-20 recruits.

  3. #383
    I know that there are a number of you that follow this thread and appreciate an awesome name when you see it. So I'm disappointed that no one has noted that my list includes Scoobie, Wooby, Ugo, Messiah, and Genuine Potts. There are some really cool names there.

  4. #384

  5. #385
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    tigerswood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Price's Chicken Coop
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesSokolove View Post
    Thank goodness I now know there aren't any P5 teams in Alaska or Hawaii. Always wondered.

  6. #386
    Quote Originally Posted by Deac94 View Post
    I know that there are a number of you that follow this thread and appreciate an awesome name when you see it. So I'm disappointed that no one has noted that my list includes Scoobie, Wooby, Ugo, Messiah, and Genuine Potts. There are some really cool names there.
    Agree. Still ticked Grobe didn't get Jela Duncan(Duke) due to name and rushing yardage. However, Gelo Orange was even better!

  7. #387
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggitydeac View Post
    Agree. Still ticked Grobe didn't get Jela Duncan(Duke) due to name and rushing yardage. However, Gelo Orange was even better!
    Unfortunately Gelo didn't stick at Wake.

  8. #388
    Quote Originally Posted by Deac94 View Post
    Everyone should keep in mind that 3 of the 6 current commits are from North Carolina. 2 more are from South Carolina.

    I have observed changes each cycle in how Wake approaches recruiting from a geographic standpoint. Those changes have been gradual with the exception of Clawson's first full year to his second full year (when Wake basically withdrew from Texas and South Florida). Last year saw a heavier emphasis on Georgia. This year seems to have kept that focus on Georgia but also continued to increase the time and attention spent in Florida.

    My own theory is that Clawson's staff will always prioritize recruits from the Carolinas. But it doesn't take long to see the attractiveness of the very deep talent pools in Georgia and Florida when you are talking about filling up classes of 16-20 recruits.
    With the changes in staff and where their connections lie will also have some weight on this. Cohen has been recruiting Georgia and done well there. Minnesota recruited Florida heavily so expect Sawvel is a reason for the new emphasis there. Hemphill was in New York so as expected, we've seen a few more kids from up that way. Lineburg was in Connecticut as well for the northeastern contacts but his father's history and his history in Virginia, I hope will gain ground up there to poach a few players in the DMV. Losing Scheier who covered the DMV may have given some pause up there along with the success of Fuentes at VT. NC as many folks mentioned is ripe with D1 football and P5 football plus we have to have the academics on top of someone that doesn't want a big campus or a big stadium or a football atmosphere. I think we will see NC kids vary year to year based upon the pool of kids available that are looking for an atmosphere like Wake and can qualify. KJ Henry was mentioned indirectly by Clawson that he wants to play at a big football school so he is in our backyard but will likely end up somewhere like Clemson, Alabama, or Georgia.

  9. #389
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Unfortunately Gelo didn't stick at Wake.
    Pretty sure he graduated. But still disappointed Godspower Ofer did not pan out. Hopefully the Messiah kid can not only make up for that disappointment but also bring us to the promised land.

  10. #390
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU1977 View Post
    Pretty sure he graduated. But still disappointed Godspower Ofer did not pan out. Hopefully the Messiah kid can not only make up for that disappointment but also bring us to the promised land.
    You're correct. My bad memory. Was thinking about Offor. He did make MEAC all academic after transferring to Howard.

  11. #391
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    5,996
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    Thank goodness I now know there aren't any P5 teams in Alaska or Hawaii. Always wondered.
    The Dakotas are wide open for an enterprising recruiter.

  12. #392
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
    The Dakotas are wide open for an enterprising recruiter.
    And the P5 level recruit they produce every decade is really going to want to go to Wake. Riiiiiiight.

  13. #393
    Basketball recruiting is different from football recruiting because travel teams bring kids to coaches even if the kid lives in a remote area. This doesn't happen in FB. Coaches have to go and watch HS games and tape. Better use of time to look at games and tape from areas known to produce talent. Parents will.move to those school areas of their kid has talent so he will be noticed.

  14. #394
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    tigerswood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Price's Chicken Coop
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Basketball recruiting is different from football recruiting because travel teams bring kids to coaches even if the kid lives in a remote area. This doesn't happen in FB. Coaches have to go and watch HS games and tape. Better use of time to look at games and tape from areas known to produce talent. Parents will.move to those school areas of their kid has talent so he will be noticed.
    Ehh only to an extent. Sure they're aren't AAU football teams, but if a kid is good enough, he will travel (with parents, coaches, teammates) to camps, both at colleges and at the Nike/Under Armour/Rivals camps.

  15. #395
    And if a kid from that area is good and gets to camps, I'm sure Wake would look at him. But it's not worth having a coach working the HS's in ND and SD looking for the one kid every decade who is good enough to play P5 football. Its like Willie Sutton's answer to the question of why he robbed banks "Its where the money is." Same in football recruiting. Go where more players are. Some HS's, like Stonebridge in northern Virginia, turnout multiple D1 recruits every year. So do some of the HS's they play. So a visit to a Friday night game might get eyeballs on 3-5 potential P5 caliber players.

  16. #396
    Slightly off subject but really impressive:

    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...148752464.html

    I do recognize this is old news; but the article is new.

  17. #397
    Banned for anti-Marxism
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Far from the maddening crowd
    Posts
    5,114
    Duke gets top billing, first discussed person, and only picture. Just saying.

  18. #398
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    98,457
    Sage's picture is at the top of the page before the beginning of the article.

  19. #399
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    Duke gets top billing, first discussed person, and only picture. Just saying.
    The top photo and largest one is Sage.........

  20. #400
    His stats are impressive no matter what league he played in, even in the local Y.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •