• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Review of the Shrine Bowl of The Carolinas reveals that Shamar McCollum blocked not 1 but 2 punts in the game.

First qtr he blocked the NC teams first punt which resulted in a 15 yard sidewinder headed for the sideline

Shamar McCollum is easily the Defensive MVP of the Shrine Bowl.

I really like Pickens..he looks like J Peppers. But in this game Zonovon Knight ran right at Zach and scampered, rumbled and sprinted for over a buck and quarter, and he did so by running right at Pickens.

McCollum affected nearly 75% of the plays he was in for. Easy choice as Def MVP — but as is usual in this gig of life - it’s all politics and so we defer to the recruits of the “flagship” university.

The past two years when Washington is healthy he has absolutely dominated some CBs off the line of scrimmage.

The "fade" routes against Duke this year and aTm last year come to mind. He is an important option.

He has struggled with the drops off and on since he has been at WF

He has struggled with the drops off and on since he has been at WF

If I recall, he had a bad shoulder most of this season. That will have a negative impact on holding onto the ball while being tackled, or even just landing.

That is just a fantastic catch.

I don�t understand shots taken at this guy. He is the classic developmental WF recruit and he has made great strides in catching the ball and running precise lanes. Scotty has worked hard in the weight room and will go in as a SR as a 228-230 pounder who, in certain circumstances, will line up anywhere from slot TE - all the way to the outside speed receiver.. and all points in-between. When healthy he is a sure-fire problem for DC�s and adds to the range of stress for an opposing D when he is goes out there with Dortch, Surratt, Roberson, Claude, Waydale, A.T. and any newbies who may �arrive�.

He did just stop running the route on one that would have been a touchdown against Syracuse

I don't think we should redshirt Nolan or Donovan. If they're as good as advertised then that could bite us, similar to the Bates situation, and what could end up being Dortch leaving too.
I think the best players will play and incoming freshmen who earn a full season of playing time will get it. Those who earn up to four games will get that.
If either of those players earn a spot on the depth chart as freshman I don't think Clawson could redshirt them without hurting our recruiting reputation. 4 star players dont come to Wake to sit on the bench.

And two huge interceptions he did NOT PREVENT with game on the line. (this and another season)

And the epic drop in the endzone versus Army at home 2 years ago. Would've won had he hung on

Look, it’s a different day for Wake Forest when you can simultaneously laud some the best prospects WF has ever inked and still not expect any contribution in their first year.

Groulx, Greene and Morin are a sweet trio..but those guys are likely to be picking wood out of their asses for much of 2019

J. Roberson, Waydale Jones, A.T. Perry, and Isaiah Issac are the “2nd Teamers” ..I am not sold that the new guys are going to do much of anything as freshmen..

Totally agree with Lectro with respect to McCollum in the Shrine Bowl. He was unquestionably the most impactful player on defense that day. Every time I looked at the screen, #34 was making a play. Like Kuechly, he just seems to have a nose for where the ball is going to go. Pickens being named MVP was a way of saying thank you to the in-state kid for not going to Alabama.

Having watched last year’s game as well, I was far more impressed with the way Hartman threw the ball than I was with the Howell kid that flipped from FSU to U*NC this week. Just saying.

Totally disagree on Washington. Every college player makes mistakes. I remember a Riley Skinner shat-the-bed game his frosh or soph year - probably had several.

To me, Washington is a positive testament to our staff. I think he came into Wake with very little besides size. His hands were below average, his physicality was way below average. He's had to work on everything - his routes, his strength, his agressiveness, all of it. Last year, in his third year in the program, he really put it all together and had a quality season. This year has been a step back, most likely because of injuries, but also trying to figure out how to be a 50% of snaps guy.

I think last year, he was like a hot rod - he's was great once he got up to speed - so we threw outs to him early in games to get him going. This year, he's had to figure out how to come in cold and play that way to inconsistent success. Personally, I am glad he is going to be in the program next year as we will have a lot of young receivers and with Bachman gone, someone needs to be able to teach them the ropes. He could be extremely helpful to Greene, for example.

Totally agree with Lectro with respect to McCollum in the Shrine Bowl. He was unquestionably the most impactful player on defense that day. Every time I looked at the screen, #34 was making a play. Like Kuechly, he just seems to have a nose for where the ball is going to go. Pickens being named MVP was a way of saying thank you to the in-state kid for not going to Alabama.

Having watched last year’s game as well, I was far more impressed with the way Hartman threw the ball than I was with the Howell kid that flipped from FSU to U*NC this week. Just saying.

Agree completely on the QB comments. The recruiting guys a lot of time equate arm strength and arm talent with being good. Howell looked like a kid with a huge arm but who couldn’t read defenses and had no idea where it was going once the bullets started flying.

Can someone give me an accepted by everyone definition of "arm talent?"

Back