• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Groulx is to be seen as Bachman’s replacement. He is not the explosive open field presence Greg was..

I am going to agree to disagree with you. Bachman was a route running outside receiver for 95% of his Wake career. He also came in with almost no hype. Many kept wanting him off the field (despite being productive on it)

Groulx is coming in as a slot receiver. And he's fast, way fast. In fact, on paper, he's faster than Dortch.

But, as I think you are alluding, Dortch was crazy elusive on the field, something that cannot be timed or measured. That proved incredibly useful in the slot as he made 12 yards out of 3 yard gains a lot. I have no idea if Groulx can do that, but his route running are as advanced as any player we have coming in. So, if you waste that on those wing routes where you the receiver just takes one step back and waits for the ball and then goes and gets yards, then yes, I cannot imagine Groulx succeeding at that anywhere near what Dortch provided. But if you are sending him on routes just behind or in front of the linebackers over the middle, watch out.

But as I said, he reminds he way more of Camp in the slot than Dortch in the slot.

I am going to agree to disagree with you. Bachman was a route running outside receiver for 95% of his Wake career. He also came in with almost no hype. Many kept wanting him off the field (despite being productive on it)

Groulx is coming in as a slot receiver. And he's fast, way fast. In fact, on paper, he's faster than Dortch.

But, as I think you are alluding, Dortch was crazy elusive on the field, something that cannot be timed or measured. That proved incredibly useful in the slot as he made 12 yards out of 3 yard gains a lot. I have no idea if Groulx can do that, but his route running are as advanced as any player we have coming in. So, if you waste that on those wing routes where you the receiver just takes one step back and waits for the ball and then goes and gets yards, then yes, I cannot imagine Groulx succeeding at that anywhere near what Dortch provided. But if you are sending him on routes just behind or in front of the linebackers over the middle, watch out.

But as I said, he reminds he way more of Camp in the slot than Dortch in the slot.

I agree with most everything you are saying with regard to Groulx is a faster and more advanced (certainly age to age) than Alex. I’m merely saying that Groulx is a Utility guy who can be plugged in inside or outside. I Love the guy.

Taylor Morin has excellent ball skills and is a little shiftier and faster than Nolan imo. He is very underrated outside his region but within it opposition coaches rave about his all around skills and athleticism.

I still feel that Tiquest Terry is an Olamide Zecchaeus/Dortch/Vic Hall/W. Robinson type ath everyone is looking for in the slot. There must be some other situation with this kid because he is every bit as dynamic as,say, Seneca Milledge.

To change the subject from WRs to kickers, Alex Mora will be playing in the Under Armour All American Bowl tonight at 6:00 on ESPN 2. Hope he does well.

To change the subject from WRs to kickers, Alex Mora will be playing in the Under Armour All American Bowl tonight at 6:00 on ESPN 2. Hope he does well.

I just hope he can kick far enough for a touchback. Sciba seems to have the FG and extra point situation under control.

I just hope he can kick far enough for a touchback. Sciba seems to have the FG and extra point situation under control.

I watched some of his HS games this past season. Have seen him kick it into and through the end zone.
With some additional strength training, this should be automatic.

Ivan Mora

Found this ranking, that may have been posted, but he's the #1 ranked punter and #3 ranked kicker from this ranking service: https://kohlskicking.com/national-player-ratings/punters/2019

They had Maggio as their #1 punter in 2016

Hadn't seen that. Very good write up.
Ivan is also a very solid young man. Great fit for Wake.

He has an older cousin who was all state (Ga) and kicked at Georgia Southern.
In one HS game I saw him kick 3 field goals over 50 yds.

You misunderstand the point. The point is not whether Groulx will play, it is whether he will be any good. He may play. It is doubtful he will be an impact player.

Given his ranking, how he has performed at all star games and the style of Wakes offense is be shocked if he wasn’t an impactful player.

I’d be shocked if Mora doesn’t redshirt unless he’s an automatic touchback.

Isaiah Isaac is working out with Josh Norman today per the ole Instagram

JNo seemed impress by the young buck!

Not sure where else to post this

Are you sure he wasn't working out with Jamarius Isaac?

Perfect spot to post. Thanks! Greg Dortch is also a fan of the California kid.

Good lord.. I remember when I used to pray for Fabian Davis to stay healthy..
Depth was Jax Landfried, right? Hell, I can remember..

But what nobody can remember ever seeing is the sheer number of big,tall,fast,small WR’s as this collection of returning Deacs have going into 2019 — even without the great Greg Dortch and the super clutch-time Bach.

Look at the internal competition — it is night and day from the days of hoping Jordan Williams and J Crump would emerge (attitude for the former and inj. took the latter)

So let’s jump in somewhere,regardless of class/age,and project Wideouts for 2019 and beyond.They are the Bread and Butter of the Program,afterall.

Sage Surratt — 6’3-220 RS Soph — where to begin? As Coach has stated “tremendous ball skills” and truly one of the greatest athletes in NC HS history. First descriptor: Driven to be great..and believes he will be. Comes fully out of the shadow of his brother.

A.T. Perry - 6’5-205 RS FR. - long,fluid athlete who was a late bloomer — see Texan Waydale Jones 6’4-200 pounds who had nearly 2000 receiving yards as a Sr which resulted in a fight with Boise State and several West Coast passing attacks. — ahh, back to Atorian :)

It means something to beat Iowa State (Dortch late) for a kid just like it means something to poach one of the top 2-3 recruits from UAB’s big board (A.T. Perry) or to crib a big-board-plum from a surging Appalachian State staff,as with Courtney McKinney,a 6’1.5-215 Powerback w/ 4.47 straight line speed & wiggle..

I’m rambling of course..that’s what excitement looks like,eh?

Cade York, LSU signee, just made a 59 yard FG in under armor game.

I saw that. Amazing. He made a 39 yd FG earlier. Ivan Mora was holding on both kicks.
I'm guessing one kicks and one holds in the first half (or quarter) and then they'll switch.

Cade York, LSU signee, just made a 59 yard FG in under armor game.

Damn. Props to the coach for letting him try. That’s amazing. I’m sure that will be replayed before his first kick of every game for the rest of his career.

Make sure you see the highlight and celebration. Hilarious.

Back