• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Looks like we extended an offer (preferred walk on?) to 6-3 WR Jimmy Buck. Had over 1,000 yards this season.

I'm impressed with his video. Good quickness and speed for a fairly tall guy. Also looks like he runs very precise routes.
Surprised he hasn't had more offers. That's ok. He can be a Deacon.

Last edited:
A preferred walk-on is recruited, but not offered a scholarship. Justin Pelic, who was offered PWO option at one of our camps. He "committed" to come to Wake. Back in the day, when the Ivy league wasn't offering grants in aid, players would commit. Then when they enrolled, they would quit the football team. They're paying the same as everybody else, but had the programs help with admissions office. It could also be why the service academies have huge classes every year.

A preferred walk-on is recruited, but not offered a scholarship. Justin Pelic, who was offered PWO option at one of our camps. He "committed" to come to Wake. Back in the day, when the Ivy league wasn't offering grants in aid, players would commit. Then when they enrolled, they would quit the football team. They're paying the same as everybody else, but had the programs help with admissions office. It could also be why the service academies have huge classes every year.

Remember Service academies operate under different rules. No limit on "scholarship athletes" because every student at service academies is on full scholarship. They don't have the luxury of redshirting players. Service academies expect students to graduate in four years and become military officers.

Remember Service academies operate under different rules. No limit on "scholarship athletes" because every student at service academies is on full scholarship. They don't have the luxury of redshirting players. Service academies expect students to graduate in four years and become military officers.

I personally know of two kids, AFA and West Point, who withdrew from the teams and went on to graduate. That's all I'm saying. They did it just like the Ivies kids back in the 70s and 80s.

Right. He’s saying that decent, not great students and athletes will commit as a walk-on (or commit to play at an academy) to help with acceptance into the university with no desire to actually play.

wfu22fan getting all nervous that at preferred walkon is going to push Greene down the depth chart.

Buck looks like a potential tight end to me; hope he comes. And; in my opinion, Groulx will be the opening day starter in the slot.

I bet J. Roberson and Groulx split slot reps almost 50/50 next year.

Roberson was a surprise of the pre-season camp and when given playing time while Dortch sat, he impressed me.

Clawson believes that players make their biggest jump from their first year on the field to their second. Next year will be Roberson's second year.

On the other hand, Clawson also believes that the further away you get from the ball, the more likely you are to have an earlier impact. Groulx will play.

I live in the Charlotte area and went to a few Hough football games. I asked a few of the students how to pronounce his name and they said it is pronounced like 'greul.' As in...when the prisoner asked to have bacon and eggs for breakfast the guard replied, "Sorry, you'll have greul, and like it." Hope that helps.

I live in the Charlotte area and went to a few Hough football games. I asked a few of the students how to pronounce his name and they said it is pronounced like 'greul.' As in...when the prisoner asked to have bacon and eggs for breakfast the guard replied, "Sorry, you'll have greul, and like it." Hope that helps.

That does. Thanks.

wfu22fan getting all nervous that at preferred walkon is going to push Greene down the depth chart.

I’m still waiting for Greene to not enroll because Max Preps posted him on the basketball roster for his high school....

I’m still waiting for Greene to not enroll because Max Preps posted him on the basketball roster for his high school....

If I'm his HS BB coach, I put him on the roster. No downside to writing his name on the roster. Rosters probably had to be turned in a while ago.

Back