• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Most of these kids are only a week or two removed from playoff games, so I doubt there's much contact involved with Shrine Bowl practices. It's one thing to get hurt in the actual game, but if a elite player was to ever have a season or career-threatening contact injury in a Shrine Bowl practice (practice? we talkin' 'bout PRACTICE?!) I could see some of them starting to opt out of participating. I could be totally wrong, but guessing that most players and in particular Greene were running around in shoulder pads and shorts with minimal contact.

I think it was probably a throw away comment as an excuse for why he didn't play. However, if he was still symptomatic from the concussion, he should not have been practicing in any manner.

UNC now has 6 commitments with the addition of WR Joshn Downs, in the class of 2020, 4 of whom are rated as 4 star. Mack Brown is making the board look pretty smart right now, guess we will see how long that continues.

UNC now has 6 commitments with the addition of WR Joshn Downs, in the class of 2020, 4 of whom are rated as 4 star. Mack Brown is making the board look pretty smart right now, guess we will see how long that continues.

Would not be surprised if UNCheat is getting recruits in some unsavory ways. Won't matter once he puts up a dud season this year.

Would not be surprised if UNCheat is getting recruits in some unsavory ways. Won't matter once he puts up a dud season this year.

Nah, Mack knows they are under a magnifying glass in regards to recruiting and he is a "used car salesman" enthusiastic type coach who can sell even a bad product. It will go well for them until one of the kids sees him changing his depends one day in his office

Downs is really dang good. Was a huge State target and his dad was really good RB Gary Downs at State. His uncle is Dre Bly and that certainly helped the Heels. That one stings.

I've heard the amount of lies and bullshit negative recruiting the UNCheat staff is using right now would make SEC staffs blush. I didn't expect anything different from that cesspool.

I've heard the amount of lies and bullshit negative recruiting the UNCheat staff is using right now would make SEC staffs blush. I didn't expect anything different from that cesspool.

Can you share some specifics?

Mack isn't who he projects himself to be.

I know the first time that Brown coached in Chapel Hill, whenever WF and UNC went head to head for recruits, Brown and his staff went above and beyond to trash the WF football program (you will never go to a bowl, you won't beat UNC, you won't beat State, you will never play marquee games on TV, you will never win an ACC title, NFL scouts won't visit, social life sucks, other coded messages about the makeup the WF student body, fanbase and the academics - just an extremely negative focus all about tearing down WF rather than underscoring the positives about going to UNC -- frankly worse than other schools that recruited against WF).

It was really annoying because Brown publicly plays up a "I'm just a nice regular guy" persona, and it was BS behind the scenes.

The good news is that over the intervening 20 years, a lot of Brown's old BS lines are now factually wrong (particularly the ACC title). Even so, I'm sure Brown is hard at work writing the negative script for WF, State, Duke et al.

Mack isn't who he projects himself to be.

I know the first time that Brown coached in Chapel Hill, whenever WF and UNC went head to head for recruits, Brown and his staff went above and beyond to trash the WF football program (you will never go to a bowl, you won't beat UNC, you won't beat State, you will never play marquee games on TV, you will never win an ACC title, NFL scouts won't visit, social life sucks, other coded messages about the makeup the WF student body, fanbase and the academics - just an extremely negative focus all about tearing down WF rather than underscoring the positives about going to UNC -- frankly worse than other schools that recruited against WF).

It was really annoying because Brown publicly plays up a "I'm just a nice regular guy" persona, and it was BS behind the scenes.

The good news is that over the intervening 20 years, a lot of Brown's old BS lines are now factually wrong (particularly the ACC title). Even so, I'm sure Brown is hard at work writing the negative script for WF, State, Duke et al.

That's fine, let him.

Don't see the big deal about hearing about negative recruiting going on. It is part of the "game." Do I want our coaches to do that? Probably not but also don't think "you will not play in marquee games" while mentioning a lesser advertised team to be a "what an asshole" move. It is what it is. Gotta recruit past it.

When I was being recruited and I told Coach at school A that I was committing to school B. He gave me a snarky "Wait, what? Really? Why" - To this day, I don't think much of it, don't think less of him, and wasn't affected b any negative recruiting during the process.

Yeah. The key is to overcome negative recruiting with your own positive recruiting and results on the field.

It's good for Wake for UNC and State to more evenly split NC talent that aren't going to Wake. NC State was pulling too far ahead while the moron coached UNC. Mack Brown is full of shit. Run out of Texas for being a great recruiter who under achieved. Gonna be tough to negatively recruit against Clawson without coming off as complete dick. Cuz Clawson is cool.

It's good for Wake for UNC and State to more evenly split NC talent that aren't going to Wake. NC State was pulling too far ahead while the moron coached UNC. Mack Brown is full of shit. Run out of Texas for being a great recruiter who under achieved. Gonna be tough to negatively recruit against Clawson without coming off as complete dick. Cuz Clawson is cool.

CCC - Cuz Clawson is Cool
I like this.

Mack Brown is figurehead at this point. It all will depend on his assistants. No different than his TV gig- talking head. Talking shithead.

It's why in my eyes, that UNC/Wake game is huuuuge. Gotta be those assholes.

UNC, save the 1 anomaly year under Fedora has been under-achieving for decades because of poor coaching and more recently poor recruiting as well. But the truth is they were/and are still the most "potentially powerful" recruiter of all the North Carolina schools. I don't see Mack Brown turning them into a program to challenge Clemson in the ACC. although it's advantageous for them that they're starting a makeover while VT, GT, and Miami are doing the same. Don't be surprised if they start to get better over the next couple years just because of that.

UNC, save the 1 anomaly year under Fedora has been under-achieving for decades because of poor coaching and more recently poor recruiting as well. But the truth is they were/and are still the most "potentially powerful" recruiter of all the North Carolina schools. I don't see Mack Brown turning them into a program to challenge Clemson in the ACC. although it's advantageous for them that they're starting a makeover while VT, GT, and Miami are doing the same. Don't be surprised if they start to get better over the next couple years just because of that.

Band-Aid still.

Can you share some specifics?

Similar to what Plich said above. Just very targeted and running other NC schools down instead of selling what UNC has to offer. I get it, but in the specific situation and recruit that i've been told about UNC and Bly/Brewster in particular in this scenario. Bly talking negatively to the kid saying that we didn't hire his dad to the staff as a slap in the face to the family, didn't hire Torry Holt to the staff because we don't look after our own etc. All of this while the WR position spot had been filled by the same guy for multiple years and Torry Holt has no interest coaching college football. With the Holt stuff, all of that was said 3 weeks after Bly was at a fundraiser in Reynolds supporting Holt. Just super slimy and not at all how i'd do business. I'm sure their are much worse examples that haven't been told released but the kids tend to lap this stuff up at UNC. They seem to push like crazy for early commits and it actually works.

The real risk of Mac is his good old boy relationship with all of the NC high school football coaches. He spends a lot of time developing those relationships and we all know many of them are already UNC fans. Fedora was a prick and didn't really foster those relationships. Mac will.

I would wager that the percentage of high school PE teacher/football coaches that are chapel hill fans is in 90% range.

Back