• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I agree.
At the same time, I don't think I even knew what the word 'algorithm' meant when I was at Wake.

I remember walking across campus from computer science class, with a stack of punch cards under my arm.

Reminds me of a smaller Cam Chancellor when at VT....

Thanks Ranger. But I can't stand people who take an Art and try to turn it into a Science. Its a little statistical analysist and a lot of art. If you buy in totally, we shouldn't win a game. Personnel fit is important too. Check out Troy Aikman running the wishbone at Oklahoma. He transferred to pass happy UCLA and the rest is history. We want kids who fit our system and can hack it in the classroom. I don't think we'll beat Clemson any time soon. I think we have beaten them 5 times in forty years. Every time we did, they fired their coach. I'll always want to beat the 'holes, but this year I think we can beat F$U at home.

Thanks Ranger. But I can't stand people who take an Art and try to turn it into a Science. Its a little statistical analysist and a lot of art. If you buy in totally, we shouldn't win a game. Personnel fit is important too. Check out Troy Aikman running the wishbone at Oklahoma. He transferred to pass happy UCLA and the rest is history. We want kids who fit our system and can hack it in the classroom. I don't think we'll beat Clemson any time soon. I think we have beaten them 5 times in forty years. Every time we did, they fired their coach. I'll always want to beat the 'holes, but this year I think we can beat F$U at home.

We've done that before too (30-0) and that led to their coach 'retiring' under pressure.
Let's do it again.

Also this: "
What’s perhaps most intriguing is how all of the Tier 2 & 3 teams have bunched together in recent years. Why? That’s probably a discussion for another post."

Which means there is hardly a difference in recruiting after you get past that first tier and player development and a recruiting eye from your staff is really the deciding factor.

Also this: "
What’s perhaps most intriguing is how all of the Tier 2 & 3 teams have bunched together in recent years. Why? That’s probably a discussion for another post."

Which means there is hardly a difference in recruiting after you get past that first tier and player development and a recruiting eye from your staff is really the deciding factor.

I think the "bunching" is due to recruiting info and highlight videos put on the web. In the early Grobe era, our staff would have to get word of mouth from HS coaches on players. The best example was recruitment of John Russell. The HS coach said to look at a small QB he had. It turned out to be the winningest QB in the history of the program, Riley Skinner. Now everybody goes to a camp and gets his name in a data base.

Wake Forest decommitter and record holder for shortest commitment, Marvin Scott III has been offered by Alabama, Florida State, and Miami all in the last week alone. If anything this shows Clawson has an eye for talent and works to discover gems before the big boys do.

Wake Forest decommitter and record holder for shortest commitment, Marvin Scott III has been offered by Alabama, Florida State, and Miami all in the last week alone. If anything this shows Clawson has an eye for talent and works to discover gems before the big boys do.

Marvin Scott just needs to take his accolades from these schools, put'em on his trophy shelf, and stick to his original gut feeling and make an NFL inspiring impact at Good old Wake Forest.

Per tweet from Greg Jones, director or recruiting, we got a defensive playmaker who will wreak havoc in the backfield. Haven't seen anything official announced as to who commited.

Per tweet from Greg Jones, director or recruiting, we got a defensive playmaker who will wreak havoc in the backfield. Haven't seen anything official announced as to who commited.

Intriguing...

Back