• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

We are loaded at WR. It’s no wonder that we haven’t gotten a commit at WR yet.

Yes, we're loaded now, but we're now recruiting for 2020.
Things will change and a number of our current players won't be around.
Need to constantly recruit talent to reload.

While some folks think Cooley is small (well, he's not big) he's about the same size as Barry Sanders. Not saying he's going to be the next Sanders, but the UNC writer said he was shifty and could really scoot when he gets in the open.
Think of Dortch as a RB with an extra 20 lbs of muscle.

He might not be Barry Sanders, but he could be the next Chris Barclay.

While some folks think Cooley is small (well, he's not big) he's about the same size as Barry Sanders. Not saying he's going to be the next Sanders, but the UNC writer said he was shifty and could really scoot when he gets in the open.
Think of Dortch as a RB with an extra 20 lbs of muscle.
Special teams killer.

Agree. Just a bit harder to recruit with no immediate playing time available.

Add to that Hensley seems like a great weapon to add to an already lethal WR group. Strong hands, 4.47 40 time, 37 inch vertical, 6'0 186lbs. Throw him in with Surratt, Greene, and Groulx when they are Sr's and Jr's, watch out.

Agree. Just a bit harder to recruit with no immediate playing time available.

Tell that to all the players committing to Clemson, who is already loaded and immediate playing time is questionable at best. Almost all their commits are 4 and 5 star guys......and they don't all play right away.

And a number transfer. I have faith that Dave will get who he needs. Remember guys he is no Danny Manning

Carson is now rated as a 3*

On 6/8/19 with 14 commits to WF, 247 Sports assigned the completed 2019 class an average rating of 0.8460 versus the burgeoning 2020 class 0.8421 for 21st best in nation and 7th best in ACC. Assuming minimal improvements in performance by WF commitments during their Senior year and continued commitments by highly rated recruits, WF is trending upward in the ratings from last year to this year.

Last edited:
On 6/8/19 with 14 commits to WF, 247 Sports assigned the completed 2019 class an average rating of 0.8460 versus the burgeoning 2020 class 0.8421 for 21st best in nation and 7th best in ACC. Assuming minimal improvements in performance by WF commitments during their Senior year and continued commitments by highly rated recruits, WF is trending upward in the ratings from last year to this year.

You have me confused. How is the 2020 number of .8421 > 2019 number of .8460? Seems to me that is a small, unimportant downward trend. Or am I missing something in the above?

You have me confused. How is the 2020 number of .8421 > 2019 number of .8460? Seems to me that is a small, unimportant downward trend. Or am I missing something in the above?

He's saying assuming we hold on to everyone and they increase their rating's through play/offers their senior yr. (common) that the overall team rating grade should be higher. Add to that the potential of picking up a couple more guys with ratings of 85 or better and it seems like we should have an even higher ranked class in 2020 than we did in 2019 (which was one of WF's best classes on 247).

Also, several days ago 247 assigned us an average rating in the 0.8250ish range so the current 0.8421 rating clearly reflects the trend upward which very likely continues contingent upon the previously referenced factors typically present.

In summary, 247’s metrics seem to reflect what Clawson & Company are actually demonstrating in their own recruiting performance—a continuous upward trend. For the last two classes 247 indicates our commits appear to be at least as good as one half of the ACC if not better. That was not reflected by the ratings in Clawson’s first two recruiting classes at WF yet arguably it should have been.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if the majority of our commits did not increase their rating this fall based on their performance.
Think a few could have real break-out seasons.

Okay. So the thought that the 2020 class average will exceed the 2019 class average is based on two concepts: 1) Wake will get additional recruits with ratings above .85 who will pull the average up
and/or
2) Wake's 2020 recruits will have increased rating numbers from high level performances in their senior seasons.

Okay. So the thought that the 2020 class average will exceed the 2019 class average is based on two concepts: 1) Wake will get additional recruits with ratings above .85 who will pull the average up
and/or
2) Wake's 2020 recruits will have increased rating numbers from high level performances in their senior seasons.

And if wrong and the metrics don’t end up above last year sportswriters shouldn’t be too sure that the 2020 recruits are actually less talented than 2019 because DC&C have shown they can identify talent for their system better than others do.

Back