• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Many higher round HS draft picks tend to have a full scholarship of their choice if baseball flames out

Is the 12th round considered a higher round?

No, but when players are drafted who have a football option they have negotiating leverage because they have another viable option. So, the baseball contract has to "buy out" the current football option. To do that, MLB teams will typically offer money for the draftee to attend college on the MLB team's nickel if they choose.

MLB draft is a completely different animal than NFL/NBA. Each draft picked is allotted a signing bonus. Teams can sign players for higher than their slot value but there can be significant penalties for exceeding your overall draft $$$ allotment (loss of 1st round pick the following draft). So for example, the Braves selected Kyle Wright @ #5 overall last week. That slot has a 5.7mm price tag but they realized that he would command more $$$ (looks like 7mm now) so the Braves drafted guys in the 3 & 4 rounds that were not as highly rated as most 3rd/4th rounders knowing that they would sign for less than their slot value. In some cases $$$ is tentatively negotiated with draftees prior to draft.

So in essence the draft order may not always dictate the talent level or money paid out.

Also there are different levels of leverage among draftees which play a factor. A highly rated HS kid for instance has the option of college and more of an ability to name his price. Most know they will likely get drafted again. College juniors have a little less leverage but can still wait for an additional year. College seniors have no leverage. As a result many highly rated HS seniors may not get drafted early if it looks like they're a lock for college. A team may take a chance on them with a late round pick & try to throw a bunch of money at them to see if they'd reconsider.

MLB also has a separate draft for international players

Last edited:
94, do you think we are finished with the WR position with our two commits?

Very likely done at WR. Unless a really great opportunity comes along.

With Steward and Durant visiting it seems that a RB spot is still open. After that, it's not clear whether the staff is holding spots for any other specific positions. It could be that the others will be used for the best player regardless of position. If the staff is targeting another specific position I would think it would be DB.

Looks like DE Joseph Boletepeli visited yesterday. One would think that he would be a top target for Wake.

Caleb Steward with 3 recent Crystal Balls and a lot of Twitter activity to VT. Durant with 2 Crystal Balls to Duke and a Top 5 list that had Duke and VT in all caps. It's time we start going all out on Tijai Whatley

Many higher round HS draft picks tend to have a full scholarship of their choice if baseball flames out

All HS players that sign have that. MLB scholarship program is in CBA. Not optional.

We have 11 verbals and 11 seniors. Add 1 if you count Stewart leaving. We have 13 fourth year juniors. Only a few don't contribute. Maybe 4 or 5 spots left. We have 2 incoming DTs, 2 fourth year DTs and 2 in between. I would like to get one more to team with K Brown to keep the cupboard stocked. For our other positions, I'd like to wait to get a prospect who comes on as a senior (Waydale and Surratt come to mind) then the sloppy seconds of the camp season.

Looking at recent offers leads me to believe that DB and K are open spots.

Nasir Greer (Stockbridge, GA) is a tall DB that shows some athleticism and looks like a physical tackler. Some list him as a safety, but I'd bet the staff would try him at corner first. Wake is his biggest offer to date. Given the timing of the offer you'd think he is probably on commitment watch.

The first kicker offers went to local Cam Lische (East Forsyth) and highly touted Nicolas Sciba (Clover, SC). Sciba is the #13 kicker in the country on Chris Sailer Kicking. He also has offers from Virginia Tech and South Carolina.

Thanks for the update, 94. I forgot about our need for a kicker.

Just watched greer's hudl highlights. I totally agree on the athleticism and physicality comments 94. Kid all appears to have great acceleration and closing speed. I would take him. Plus I'd be willing to bet more offers are on the way.

Last edited:
"Sciba said he doesn’t have a favorite at this point and no timeline for a decision."

Oops.

Back