• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

As the saying goes....ya can't make this stuff up:rolleyes:

Similar quote. Back in the 80's I played golf once with Don Klosterman, who was GM of the LA Rams at the time. He said he was talking to a hotshot college player who told him "I just signed one of them verbal contracts".

Great comment on Inside Carolina about this. "Verbal commitments aren't worth the paper they're written on"

That is an old, old quote. Used both in the context of verbal commitments of players to schools and in describing verbal contracts elsewhere in the world.

ac39fc.png

There are still a few DTs in the transfer portal who have not found new homes. Only oe listed as a grad. A couple listed as "senior." Wonder if any of the seniors could become immediately eligible grads by August.
Has anyone heard if Wake is still looking at any grad transfer D-line guys?

There are still a few DTs in the transfer portal who have not found new homes. Only oe listed as a grad. A couple listed as "senior." Wonder if any of the seniors could become immediately eligible grads by August.
Has anyone heard if Wake is still looking at any grad transfer D-line guys?

Taylor Morin and Chase Jones are now on the roster and not grey shirting. That took the one open spot and the spot that Fox had filled at DT. No spots available best I can tell.

Taylor Morin and Chase Jones are now on the roster and not grey shirting. That took the one open spot and the spot that Fox had filled at DT. No spots available best I can tell.

Thanks for that update. Kinda too bad. From everything I've read, it sounds like Wake needs a ready to play grad student on the D-Line, mostly at D-Tackle.

Could signal a few things: Mike Allen is moving inside, Clawson believes one of the freshman DT’s (Smart & Williams) could be ready to go or we may indeed need additional depth at linebacker. With the new redshirt rule, Smart and Willians can play in eight games between and that might be enough.

Could signal a few things: Mike Allen is moving inside, Clawson believes one of the freshman DT’s (Smart & Williams) could be ready to go or we may indeed need additional depth at linebacker. With the new redshirt rule, Smart and Willians can play in eight games between and that might be enough.

Depth at LB is definitely a concern. While Burley and Monroe were highly regarded, they have yet to really play and Taylor is out for the season. Any more injuries and who knows. I don't know that Allen will move inside permanently but do expect to see plays where both Basham and Allen are in at the same time with one being inside. Hemphill seems to be a bit creative/situational with the prime example having Cam Glenn at DE vs. NC State.

Depth at LB is definitely a concern. While Burley and Monroe were highly regarded, they have yet to really play and Taylor is out for the season. Any more injuries and who knows. I don't know that Allen will move inside permanently but do expect to see plays where both Basham and Allen are in at the same time with one being inside. Hemphill seems to be a bit creative/situational with the prime example having Cam Glenn at DE vs. NC State.

I think this assessment is getting to the truth of the situation. I don’t think Hemphill is at all concerned with having enough traditional DT bodies. There are very few teams running an offense that makes DT girth a key factor (like, say, Pittsburgh). We are likely to see a lot of snaps with no more than 1 traditional DT on the field. Listen to the recent podcast interview of Hemphill.

I think this assessment is getting to the truth of the situation. I don’t think Hemphill is at all concerned with having enough traditional DT bodies. There are very few teams running an offense that makes DT girth a key factor (like, say, Pittsburgh). We are likely to see a lot of snaps with no more than 1 traditional DT on the field. Listen to the recent podcast interview of Hemphill.
Our defense is based on being in proper position and angles of pursuit by the back side. Clawson repeatedly complained about Sawvel having so many out of position and taking wrong angles. The four man front doesn't use the old nose guard/tackle. Sawvel gets canned and over last few games defense went from worst in ACC to semi legit. The game has changed. We will be smarter from game one this year. Sawvel was clearly a mistake.

Don't think Sawvel is currently on a NCAA football staff. Tracy Claeys was the interim HC at Minnesota when Sawvel was DC there. Claeys has beenn the DC at Washington State since 2018. Think Sawvel spent some time in Pullman as an unpaid assistant/observer, but it doesn't look like he is on any NCAA staff.

Great comment on Inside Carolina about this. "Verbal commitments aren't worth the paper they're written on"

Easier to say "we never offered" when all you have is a verbal.

Back