• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

247 sports ratings are a joke. Was just looking at our currently committed players and noticed 4 or 5 of them (many recent commits), following their recent commitments to wake, went from mid-low three stars to low two star rank. Additionally, over the last several months some of our more highly ranked recruits have slowly been dropping in the ranks since their commitment early on. Meanwhile the exact opposite occurs for schools like UNC, UGA, VT, and even duke. I wonder if it has to do with the number of writers/insiders they have on 247 for those specific programs. Maybe they are more prone to rank those players high for their program? I really have no idea, but is always funny seeing a guy who was a low three star become a low four star the day after they commit to an SEC program. If that same player committed to wake, they would either remain unchanged or drop in the rankings. Curious if anyone has any insight into the process.

So it looks like they again adjusted the 247 rankings to a lesser degree.

It's funny because right after you posted on this the first time, I went back and looked at 247's ratings for the class of 2014 to get a feel for how their ratings translated to on the field success. I swear that they had Zeek Rodney as our highest rated at over .87 and now he's dropped to our 3rd highest at .8468. Also noted our current class as you updated has gone from a bunch of two stars to more 3 stars today. Maybe they had a computer glitch, or and SEC intern, who knows. In general though, I think they and most services are hit and miss. In that 2014 class and similar to other sites that I've looked at, Rashawn Shaw was one of our highest rated overall in that class and he never saw the field. Chris Stewart (was Chris Knight as a recruit) was one of the bottom and turned out to be one of our best D linemen. Our next two highest rated were Herron and Rodney, so they were correct on those guys being good.

I have to think that they go largely on film and athleticism shown at camps. They can't get a feel for the love of the game, work ethic and heart, which is what our coaches are doing when they evaluate. It is really hard not to look at the ratings but when you see overlooked guys succeed like Riley Skinner and a more current one in Jessie Bates, I am trying my best to take the ratings as a point of interest and with a grain of salt and see how the guys do when they hit the field.

It's funny because right after you posted on this the first time, I went back and looked at 247's ratings for the class of 2014 to get a feel for how their ratings translated to on the field success. I swear that they had Zeek Rodney as our highest rated at over .87 and now he's dropped to our 3rd highest at .8468. Also noted our current class as you updated has gone from a bunch of two stars to more 3 stars today. Maybe they had a computer glitch, or and SEC intern, who knows. In general though, I think they and most services are hit and miss. In that 2014 class and similar to other sites that I've looked at, Rashawn Shaw was one of our highest rated overall in that class and he never saw the field. Chris Stewart (was Chris Knight as a recruit) was one of the bottom and turned out to be one of our best D linemen. Our next two highest rated were Herron and Rodney, so they were correct on those guys being good.

I have to think that they go largely on film and athleticism shown at camps. They can't get a feel for the love of the game, work ethic and heart, which is what our coaches are doing when they evaluate. It is really hard not to look at the ratings but when you see overlooked guys succeed like Riley Skinner and a more current one in Jessie Bates, I am trying my best to take the ratings as a point of interest and with a grain of salt and see how the guys do when they hit the field.

One thing you just can't get by. Teams with the highest rated classes win the most. That is all.

One thing you just can't get by. Teams with the highest rated classes win the most. That is all.

This. We recruit in a muck of relatively lightly recruited and scouted 2* and low 3* prospects. There isn't much differentiation between them.

FUCK THE RATINGS. What matters to us, is what they do once they get here. Brian Andrews and AJ Marshall are the only 4* recruits who saw the field. Brian was a backup DE and AJ moved to Safety but didn't win any All ACC honors. Those who have moved on to the NFL were part of the muckthat PHDeac calls our recruiting base. Yes, Alabama third team has more talent than we do. They also have the best coaching staff in the country. UGA had the same talent as 'Bama, the difference was the coaches. Add LSU to that list too. The 'Bama players progress farther than those programs do once they are put into Saban's development system. Wake has always been the "do more with less" place since Mackovic. The win over Temple was the first time Clawson "out coached" and beat a team with better talent. The Duke win could be considered also. That is what WAKE is. We have succeeded with upperclassmen dominated teams. Carney and Bates are the only starters with less than 3 years experience in the program. Presby is the only team that puts an L next to the Wake game when they look at their schedule. We are the other bye week to our opponents, that's how we'll sneak up on them for our upsets.

This. We recruit in a muck of relatively lightly recruited and scouted 2* and low 3* prospects. There isn't much differentiation between them.

As far as evaluating 2* and 3* prospects the best indicator of talent is to look at their scholarship offers or lack thereof.

When we manage to pick up a 4* recruit, you should also ask "why was it we were able to get him?" Deac76 articulates the SOP for Wake for most of our history, yet that isn't what we need to happen to start winning. To repeat the tired cliche about "insanity", you don't keep doing the same thing that hasn't ever worked and expect success.

Compare us to Vandy and Duke, not 'Bama because that is the same talent pool we are drawing from. Dalvin Tomlinson was a target of ours who went to 'Bama when Saban referred to it as "the Harvard of College Football". The kid was smart enough to go to the Ivies, but wanted a SEC football experience. Duke is still in the glow of its recent Bowl run, and they have a proven HC. We need to win more, then the 4*s will return our calls. Are we the program that went 5-1 to start last season or are we the team that went 1-5 at its end?

Caleb Steward with 3 recent Crystal Balls and a lot of Twitter activity to VT. Durant with 2 Crystal Balls to Duke and a Top 5 list that had Duke and VT in all caps. It's time we start going all out on Tijai Whatley

Tijai Whatley committed to Georgia Tech.

Here's what we found:
» There were 262 recruits given five-star status. There were as many as 38 five stars in one class, in 2002, and as few as 25, in both 2003 and 2004. The average number of five-star recruits in a class was 29.
» Of those 262, 116 were drafted (44.3 percent) and 42 went in the first round (16 percent); 38 percent of the five stars who were drafted were first-rounders.

That's an insane success rate for Rivals. 44% of kids rated as 5* when they were 15-17 years old were drafted 3-5 years after finishing high school.

Bummer on Whatley to GT. Makes getting one of durant or steward that much more important.

Back