• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

He was improving in the spring, but I don't remember him ever getting starter reps -- at least with the full assortment of first-team defense (they mix it up to see who can stand out).

The talk on here of "don't forget DJ Taylor" is spot on. The same I've said for losing Phil Haynes and Ryan Anderson, that you don't lose those two players and become better at their positions, will be true for Justin Strnad. Guy has been playing a high level of football for, really, 12 straight games.

But LB shouldn't be in dire straights next season. I'd expect Smenda to improve before the end of the season. Chase Monroe is getting snaps and seems OK. Ja'Cquez Williams doesn't hurt you when he's in there. They think big things will come from Chase Jones and Zach Ranson, who Clawson has compared to Strnad in the same fashion that he was a HS safety they knew they'd redshirt to put more weight on him.

Yeah, LB is actually looking over-full for next year with the move to just two positions on the base defense. J. Williams, Smenda, and DJ Williams have all been regular starters / contributors, Monroe and Burley will probably both want bigger minutes as Jrs., Jones is evidently ready to contribute, plus there's Ranson, Hudson, and Whitter in the mix. I actually think we'll see at least one guy transfer out.

TE - Legit concern here as I have no idea if Whiteheart is ready next year

I don't think TEs a concern, because we haven't had an above average TE since Serigne and have set program records for offense. Whiteheart can do what Freudenthal and Chapman can do. The question is whether we can get more from a freshman.

Biggest concern for next year will be OL and CB. Losing multiple starters in each group.

Bringing in 3 CBs right now, maybe one will be the next Bassey. Potentially losing Boogie early will be the biggest concern on D. Without him we have no proven edge rushers.

He was improving in the spring, but I don't remember him ever getting starter reps -- at least with the full assortment of first-team defense (they mix it up to see who can stand out).

The talk on here of "don't forget DJ Taylor" is spot on. The same I've said for losing Phil Haynes and Ryan Anderson, that you don't lose those two players and become better at their positions, will be true for Justin Strnad. Guy has been playing a high level of football for, really, 12 straight games.

But LB shouldn't be in dire straights next season. I'd expect Smenda to improve before the end of the season. Chase Monroe is getting snaps and seems OK. Ja'Cquez Williams doesn't hurt you when he's in there. They think big things will come from Chase Jones and Zach Ranson, who Clawson has compared to Strnad in the same fashion that he was a HS safety they knew they'd redshirt to put more weight on him.

Dire Straits, great band.

Ranson is all over the field (both in spring games and versus Elon) - he will be a good one.

I do worry about CB (think we will be good at safety, however) for obvious reasons. We will theoretically be putting Jasir Taylor at CB#1 who at best, looks like a nickel. Really not even sure who is behind him. I guess we are trying to rely on Essissima and Tyriq (who i thought was a safety) to improve to starting ACC CBs.

Next year we should be able to stop the run but see us getting picked apart on the outside.

I don't think TEs a concern, because we haven't had an above average TE since Serigne and have set program records for offense. Whiteheart can do what Freudenthal and Chapman can do. The question is whether we can get more from a freshman.

Brandon Chapman has one more year of eligibility after this season.

Brandon Chapman has one more year of eligibility after this season.

Yeah, I meant that to say that Whiteheart seems in the same vein as Freudenthal and Chapman -- a run blocker and limited offensive threat. I'm hoping we can get some more production from the freshmen, but I'm also not worried because the offense doesn't seem to require much from TEs.

Yeah, I meant that to say that Whiteheart seems in the same vein as Freudenthal and Chapman -- a run blocker and limited offensive threat. I'm hoping we can get some more production from the freshmen, but I'm also not worried because the offense doesn't seem to require much from TEs.

I think Freudenthal is an offensive threat.

Same. He's an above average but not star college TE. I'll take a guy that's played at his level the last couple of years every year.

+1....he stood out on special teams as a frosh....was seemingly the first guy making tackles on every punt.

And I've yet to see him drop a pass.

Eh, 27 career receptions in 3.5 seasons (1.5 as a starter). I like him as a player and his intangibles (and ST play), but I don't think that's a threat.

On another note, we just got a commitment from Trey Boll, TE out of Richmond, VA for 2020.

classic multi-sport athlete signee.

I believe all of our punters and kickers are multi-sport athletes too (soccer + football)

On another note, we just got a commitment from Trey Boll, TE out of Richmond, VA for 2020.

Wake has SIX tight ends on the roster. That seems like a lot for a position where the offense uses only one.

Back