• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Yeah now behind on LB recruiting for this year. Will be hard to find reliable one this late in the game. My guess is we will try and flip a non-p5 linebacker. I hope I’m wrong, but that tends to be a trend this late in the cycle.

If our whole defense depended on a true freshman MLB, then that’s on Clawson not this kid. It sucks we didn’t get him.

Or we wait for the coaching changes and jump on those recruits. I remember we got a couple of good ones late that way last year

If our whole defense depended on a true freshman MLB, then that’s on Clawson not this kid. It sucks we didn’t get him.

It's not about having this kid playing a big role in 2020. It is about having a next guy in the linebacker development pipeline. You don't have rSr. Justin Strnad if you don't have linebacker recruit Justin Strnad signing with Wake.

The loss of Whitter this late probably won't have much, if any of an impact on the 2020 season. It might be felt more in the 22 - 24 seasons.

Wake is a developmental program. The better the quality of the recruits, the better the quality of the players on the field three years later.

Very poorly prepared team yesterday! Need people who can tackle and our defense was very poor(against the run). Need better defensive coaches or recruit better and bigger defensive players. These are Clawsons players and the lack of a better defense, both passing and rushing, falls on him. I know we have had some injuries, but that should not be an excuse for the four embarrassing loses we suffered with very poorly prepared team, Clemson, I understand, but the other three were just poor coaching or prep!

Wake Forest University has an offensive paid recruiting position open. All applicants should have experience coaching or playing receiver at the college level and have a 3.0 gpa or higher in their undergraduate degree. Please send resume to ruggiewd@wfu.edu. No phone calls please.

As mentioned, the loss of whitter is important long term. Also, he was the type of recruit with speed and athleticism that we lack to compete with the clemson’s of football. It’s not a knock on our current players, but it’s clear from the tape, whitter brought athletics/speed that is needed desperately on this team.

Very poorly prepared team yesterday! Need people who can tackle and our defense was very poor(against the run). Need better defensive coaches or recruit better and bigger defensive players. These are Clawsons players and the lack of a better defense, both passing and rushing, falls on him. I know we have had some injuries, but that should not be an excuse for the four embarrassing loses we suffered with very poorly prepared team, Clemson, I understand, but the other three were just poor coaching or prep!

We are better on the d - line than one would expect. This has been an odd area of strength for wake. Th LBs have been the problem. Our corners have been good for years. Again the lbs can’t get to the edge.

Not sure how many ships WF has left to offer, but here is the list of players that WF previously offered that are currently committed to schools who terminated their coach this past weekend:

Jabari Small (Memphis, TN) all purpose back 3 star committed to Ole Miss
Ozzy Trapilio (Boston) OT 4 star committed to BC (he is referenced above)
Kristopher Love (Fort Lauderdale) OG 3 star committed to USF
Tyrece Edwards (Knoxville, TN) DE 3 star committed to Arkansas
Cameron Horsley (Riverton, NJ) DT 3 star committed to BC
Tyler Berrong (Port Orange, FL) LB 3 star committed to USF
Devonte Nelson (Memphis, TB) CB 3 star committed to Memphis (Memphis coach Jay Norvell has been mentioned with several jobs)

Why are we spending resources recruiting two different 3-star running backs from Memphis who want to go to school close to home ? Do we have a Memphis pipeline ?

Why are we spending resources recruiting two different 3-star running backs from Memphis who want to go to school close to home ? Do we have a Memphis pipeline ?

I don't know Biff, given your valuable insights and hilarious pithy comments, why don't you take over recruiting coordinator duties or start a new career as a social media sensation?

Not sure how many ships WF has left to offer, but here is the list of players that WF previously offered that are currently committed to schools who terminated their coach this past weekend:

Jabari Small (Memphis, TN) all purpose back 3 star committed to Ole Miss
Ozzy Trapilio (Boston) OT 4 star committed to BC (he is referenced above)
Kristopher Love (Fort Lauderdale) OG 3 star committed to USF
Tyrece Edwards (Knoxville, TN) DE 3 star committed to Arkansas
Cameron Horsley (Riverton, NJ) DT 3 star committed to BC
Tyler Berrong (Port Orange, FL) LB 3 star committed to USF
Devonte Nelson (Memphis, TB) CB 3 star committed to Memphis (Memphis coach Jay Norvell has been mentioned with several jobs)

His Dad was a star OLiner for BC.

His Dad was a star OLiner for BC.

Will be hard to overcome, but there have been quite a few kids of WF footballers that the Deacs have been unable to keep in the fold (Ben Freeman, Austin Proehl, Dax Hollifield).

Did we know how much they wanted to stay near home before they committed?

Will be hard to overcome, but there have been quite a few kids of WF footballers that the Deacs have been unable to keep in the fold (Ben Freeman, Austin Proehl, Dax Hollifield).
I think it's harder to keep kids "in the fold" when there's no one from the staff their parents/siblings played for coaching.
I think it also matters just ~how~ those coaches left too. Did they leave for another school's job or were they fired?
These things matter.

I don't know Biff, given your valuable insights and hilarious pithy comments, why don't you take over recruiting coordinator duties or start a new career as a social media sensation?

Well since you don't know (thanks for admitting that) I thought I would check out how many 3-star running backs from the Memphis area we already have and I found one, so apparently there is a very small pipeline.

Back