• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Kickoff guys last year did their job. No TD returns against Wake. Mostly touchbacks.

Kickoff guys last year did their job. No TD returns against Wake. Mostly touchbacks.

Gave up a kick return TD in the bowl game. 83 kickoffs, 33 touchbacks.

They were better than this year, but that's a low bar.

Weird to say don’t mention the NFL guy.

Also weird because I've heard Higgins, Bachman, Washington, off the top of my head, credit KJ Brent for making a great impact on that room in his one season -- of basically being a role model for younger guys who became key players later.

Not sure why you’d call KJ Brent a “pro guy” for bouncing around practice squads for a couple of years and never catching a pass. Dortch left a larger mark on the NFL.

Not sure why you’d call KJ Brent a “pro guy” for bouncing around practice squads for a couple of years and never catching a pass. Dortch left a larger mark on the NFL.

LOL. That's better than all but a few dozen Deacs.

And Dortch was very valuable. There is some room between one of our best receivers and worth a crap.

He looked pretty good. I think he played exclusively at center. Showed a nice mean streak with finishing his blocks.

Wow - Petitbon was named a Captain for Ed Reed’s team in the UA All American Game.

I expect he will be one of the most polished O-linmen to arrive at Wake. Grandpa doing work.

They’re high on George Sell as well. They’ve recruited some very good lineman the past couple of years. Some big time defensive, and offensive guys. You know what they say, you win games in the trenches. I just hope we have guys already on roster capable of playing well this year. I’d assume Clawson would like to redshirt every lineman coming in. I think we have the numbers to do that. But if might be tough if some guys go down.

They’re high on George Sell as well. They’ve recruited some very good lineman the past couple of years. Some big time defensive, and offensive guys. You know what they say, you win games in the trenches. I just hope we have guys already on roster capable of playing well this year. I’d assume Clawson would like to redshirt every lineman coming in. I think we have the numbers to do that. But if might be tough if some guys go down.

Spot on. I am excited about the future of our OLine. All 4 OLinemen in this class have great potential and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sell and/or Petitbon starting after next year. I also have high expectations for Elmonus who was redshirted last year. A big 6’7 LT prospect. I remember he got late offers from big time D1 programs last year.

If a freshman comes ready to play, I think Clawson will play him even at OL.

It will be to the advantage of all if the incoming freshmen linemen can redshirt. Wake just isn't getting the ready to play 5* freshman linemen. Wake line recruits really benefit from two or three years strength and conditioning and learning technique before they play.

CJ Elmonus was highly touted as part of last year's recruiting class. Will he be ready to play as a rFr in 2020? Hopefully he and his fellow youngsters get some snaps just to get them a feel for game speed, and not because there is a need for bodies.

With Mike Edwards and Orlando Heggs gone from the current rFr class, that year group is small.

I expect he will be one of the most polished O-linmen to arrive at Wake. Grandpa doing work.

Yeah I wondered same as seems already rather large but can he play elsewhere on line as Toms seems to have that spot down? Hopefully he can if he is that talented and ready.

Yeah I wondered same as seems already rather large but can he play elsewhere on line as Toms seems to have that spot down? Hopefully he can if he is that talented and ready.

Luke Pettibon is 6-3, 285. That is pretty good size for a HS kid. He seems to have played center all his HS career. Does he push Zach Tom to one of the guard spots? I think not this year.

From his highlights, it appears Gonzaga used him to pull and lead the blocking, much like a pulling guard. In the awakening clips, his snaps appeared to be low (knee high) and the defensive guys seemed to push him backward, though he was able to direct them off to one side or the other. He will benefit from leg day. If he develops as expected, he should be a good follow-on to Zach Tom in 2022.

Back