• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Yeah, the Maye to Carolina thing has always made sense, especially wrt available playing time after Sam Howell leaves, and obviously his dad playing QB there. Crum actually was fired after Maye's senior year before they hired Mack Brown. Also, Alabama's loaded at QB.

Scott Maye went to Independence, which later produced CJ and Chris Leak and Hakeem Nicks, as well as Joe Cox.

I wouldn't be shocked if he moved on from MPHS as he's losing a couple of key targets.

His dad, Mark Maye, is the one who went to Independence and then to Carolina. Scott May played basketball at Carolina and is from Indiana. Chip Ferguson, who started at F$U, followed Maye at Independence for one year and then played his senior year in Spartanburg.

His dad, Mark Maye, is the one who went to Independence and then to Carolina. Scott May played basketball at Carolina and is from Indiana. Chip Ferguson, who started at F$U, followed Maye at Independence for one year and then played his senior year in Spartanburg.

Sorry, that's right. Had Mark's face in my head, but typed Scott.

Not to be confused with noted gasbag Mark May.

Hough is usually loaded, but had a bit of a down year last year. Their QB graduated, but they have a high 4 star RB in Evan Pryor, who might be a tOSU lean at this point. Seems like them and UGA lead for his services. I'd bet Maye ends up there.

Reportedly, Hough has a QB in their system who they believe will be the next big QB to come out of the Charlotte area, so I doubt Maye returns. I cannot remember the name of the other high school rumored to get Maye, but it was definitely not Hough. I have a friend in the Charlotte area and I asked if Maye might be returning, when I heard the rumor of him leaving MPHS. They said it was highly unlikely he would be returning and he is the one who told me about the other QB at Hough. I agree Maye is losing a lot at MPHS with Rooks and Muhammad both graduating. Charlotte is an area where Wake does not seem to have a lot of success recruiting, but it is likely due to the fact so many of the big boys target that area of the state for their recruiting. I would say that Wake has more success in the area around Atlanta than they do in Charlotte. It gives you an idea as to how much talent there is in the Atlanta area when compared to Charlotte. I remember reading the state of Georgia produces the fourth most football recruits, trailing only California, Texas, and Florida.

It always amazes me how much "recruiting" goes on at the high school level in Charlotte and the surrounding area. It is a dirty business and the top kids seem to move constantly from high school to high school. I am not sure how you put a stop to it and the Charlotte school system is set up in a way that actually allows more of it to occur than it would in other school districts in North Carolina.

Reportedly, Hough has a QB in their system who they believe will be the next big QB to come out of the Charlotte area, so I doubt Maye returns. I cannot remember the name of the other high school rumored to get Maye, but it was definitely not Hough. I have a friend in the Charlotte area and I asked if Maye might be returning, when I heard the rumor of him leaving MPHS. They said it was highly unlikely he would be returning and he is the one who told me about the other QB at Hough. I agree Maye is losing a lot at MPHS with Rooks and Muhammad both graduating. Charlotte is an area where Wake does not seem to have a lot of success recruiting, but it is likely due to the fact so many of the big boys target that area of the state for their recruiting. I would say that Wake has more success in the area around Atlanta than they do in Charlotte. It gives you an idea as to how much talent there is in the Atlanta area when compared to Charlotte. I remember reading the state of Georgia produces the fourth most football recruits, trailing only California, Texas, and Florida.

It always amazes me how much "recruiting" goes on at the high school level in Charlotte and the surrounding area. It is a dirty business and the top kids seem to move constantly from high school to high school. I am not sure how you put a stop to it and the Charlotte school system is set up in a way that actually allows more of it to occur than it would in other school districts in North Carolina.

Tad Hudson. The kid is the real deal.

That may be the first time someone named "Tad" has been described as "the real deal."

I was also told recently from a player parent that Jacquez Robinson was walking on at Wake after spending a year at JuCo. He played HS at Myers Park, but I have some real reservations about this news being valid.

Six of the top eight classes are SEC schools on ESPN and 247.

247:
Georgia
Alabama
Clemson
LSU
tOSU
TA&M
Auburn
Florida

ESPN:
Clemson
Georgia
Alabama
LSU
Ohio State
Auburn
TA&M
Florida

Miami and UNC-CH are both in the 16-18 range.
FSU is #20 in both.
Ga Tech is 26-27.
Louisville, NC State, Pitt, and UVA (and Syracuse) ahead of Wake. So 10th-11th in the ACC.

Duke and BC behind Wake in the 50s.

Va Tech dead last in the ACC with just 14 commits and the #70 class on 247. Fuente needs to have a good season get out of there before he gets fired.

Six of the top eight classes are SEC schools on ESPN and 247.

247:
Georgia
Alabama
Clemson
LSU
tOSU
TA&M
Auburn
Florida

ESPN:
Clemson
Georgia
Alabama
LSU
Ohio State
Auburn
TA&M
Florida

Miami and UNC-CH are both in the 16-18 range.
FSU is #20 in both.
Ga Tech is 26-27.
Louisville, NC State, Pitt, and UVA (and Syracuse) ahead of Wake. So 10th-11th in the ACC.

Duke and BC behind Wake in the 50s.

Va Tech dead last in the ACC with just 14 commits and the #70 class on 247. Fuente needs to have a good season get out of there before he gets fired.
We are always almost DFL in the ACC. Besides the top 2 or 3 teams, the rest of the ACC classes are pretty close.

Maybe Biff forgot that coaching matters.

I've oftened wondered if we just keep missing on recruits after good seasons or are we getting the ones Clawson prefers, anyway? Seems option 1 is more likely since most of the high ranked kids going to those upper schools were offered by Wake, too.....

We are most certainly missing on our top choices (as most schools do). We offer multiple 4 and 5 stars prior to accepting other prospects. Now, we also offer a ton of low hanging fruit in our area that are very good players. A lot of these guys would rank in the 25-50 range of top NC players. Usually we get on them early, secure their commitment, then hold off some other larger programs later in the recruiting cycle. This is currently a good strategy. As we have more winning seasons, it’s my hope we can pull in a few more 4 stars and build from there. Regardless of what the star rating system is (which is profoundly biased toward the larger moneymaker p5 schools), we are pulling in kids with more interest from other programs, which IMO, is most important. We are recruiting slightly better each year.

Kids like to win, so many will go to the program that gives the best chance of winning. Wake is now winning consistently, but tthat is a recent development. Wake now has legitimate opportunity to win almost any game they play.

Some high 3 star guys have shown flashes of excellence, but not consistent excellence. Others have been really good, but are undersize, either in height, weight or both. Figuring out which of the guys will become more consistently great, and which of the undersize guys can get bigger and still play as well seems to be a strength of this staff.

Some kids do get taller from senior year HS to college graduation. David Robinson is the poster child for this. 6-6 upon entry to US Naval Academy. 7-1 at graduation. A personal friend had a similar growth pattern. He was 5-10 and wore a 40 jacket at HS graduation. By the time he finished college, he was 6-2 and wore a 46 "athletic" size jacket. His shoulders had expanded that much (and not his belly).

Wake's developmental plan is great for these guys. The down side to that is loss of players just as they are starting to make significant contributions.

IIRC the average recruiting ranking for Wake’s last class declined as compared to the previous year. If so, then that isn’t improving each year and it’s indicative of the football staff hitting a plateau with their reciting abilities and algorithm.

Maybe Biff forgot that coaching matters.

Not as much as recruiting. If you're saying that Wake outperforms its typical 50-70 recruiting ranking, I'd go along with that. But we're obviously not challenging Clemson right now with our talent level and it wouldn't matter if Clawson is coaching circles around Dabo, you wouldn't be able to tell.

IIRC the average recruiting ranking for Wake’s last class declined as compared to the previous year. If so, then that isn’t improving each year and it’s indicative of the football staff hitting a plateau with their reciting abilities and algorithm.

247 Rankings:

2016: 57
2017: 68
2018: 64
2019: 58
2020: 57

Not as much as recruiting. If you're saying that Wake outperforms its typical 50-70 recruiting ranking, I'd go along with that. But we're obviously not challenging Clemson right now with our talent level and it wouldn't matter if Clawson is coaching circles around Dabo, you wouldn't be able to tell.

I get what you're saying, but coaching absolutely matters as much as recruiting. Clemson is a horrible example of this considering they have elite levels of both. A better example:

FSU recruiting >>> Wake recruiting

FSU coaching (Taggert) <<< Wake coaching (Clawson)

Results have been about the same the last few years, maybe even better for Wake.

Back