• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Former 5 star APB/Slot WR, Jaelen Gill entering the transfer portal from tOSU. No reason to think we could get him necessarily, but I'd hope we try. Hasn't done much at tOSU, but was an elite prospect w/ a ridiculous HS highlight tape. From Ohio, so probably more likely to stay in the midwest.

Sweet. Let's join the Big Ten so we'l have a better shot at making the CFP.

Benji Gosnell picks up Georgia offer. He's got about 11 big time offers now. I assume Wake's still involved. His brother flipped to UNC-CH from NC State.

That's some pretty good offers Gosnell has. Wake can point to the fact that a Wake tight end set ACC records just a few years ago, under the current Wake coaching staff.

Benji Gosnell picks up Georgia offer. He's got about 11 big time offers now. I assume Wake's still involved. His brother flipped to UNC-CH from NC State.

Not savvy as much as a sly reference that his East Surry squad beat Gurley’s Tarboro Vikings in a state championship rematch.

Per Les. Quincy Bryant committed a safety out of Georgia. Good list of offers. Great day to be or become a Deac!

Per Les. Quincy Bryant committed a safety out of Georgia. Good list of offers. Great day to be or become a Deac!

Quincy goes to Parkview HS. If you know Ga HS football, you know that Parkview is a football powerhouse.
Welcome Quincy!

Are we off to a slow recruiting start? I noticed we are last in ACC. Or is this nothing workable about?

Are we off to a slow recruiting start? I noticed we are last in ACC. Or is this nothing workable about?

In Claw we trust! It will be fine and remember we are never ranked very high in the ACC recruit rankings anyway

In Claw we trust! It will be fine and remember we are never ranked very high in the ACC recruit rankings anyway

Clawson certainly has earned my trust. Still, I would have expected him to have been able to translate the on field success into better recruiting success. I 100% trust Clawson will always have the team punching above its weight recruiting rankings-wise, but if we're mired in the 50 and 60s in terms of national class rankings, I'm not sure we'll ever break out of the 7-8 win season level. At least not with any consistency.

I love Clawson and I'd give him a lifetime contract if I had the power. I just expected a bigger recruiting bump. I never expected us to have a top 10 class, but I thought we might be able to get into the 30s?

Clawson certainly has earned my trust. Still, I would have expected him to have been able to translate the on field success into better recruiting success. I 100% trust Clawson will always have the team punching above its weight recruiting rankings-wise, but if we're mired in the 50 and 60s in terms of national class rankings, I'm not sure we'll ever break out of the 7-8 win season level. At least not with any consistency.

I love Clawson and I'd give him a lifetime contract if I had the power. I just expected a bigger recruiting bump. I never expected us to have a top 10 class, but I thought we might be able to get into the 30s?

The more subscribers to a recruiting site there are, the higher the class ranking. I have no idea how many subscribers Les has, but Rivals is probably less than 30 people. Class rankings outside of the top-20 are fudged around based on how big the paying fanbase is.

Among ACC teams, I believe WF was either 3rd or 4th in the number of graduating players that were either drafted or signed by the NFL over the past two weeks. While some of that is attributable to Claw and his staff developing players, but those NFL draft picks/signings are also a strong indicator that WF's recruiting classes were under-ranked when those players were coming out of HS. Fully expect that trend to continue. Clawson is light years ahead of the recruiting rankings.

The more subscribers to a recruiting site there are, the higher the class ranking. I have no idea how many subscribers Les has, but Rivals is probably less than 30 people. Class rankings outside of the top-20 are fudged around based on how big the paying fanbase is.

Clawson said as much on that call a week or two ago.

Among ACC teams, I believe WF was either 3rd or 4th in the number of graduating players that were either drafted or signed by the NFL over the past two weeks. While some of that is attributable to Claw and his staff developing players, but those NFL draft picks/signings are also a strong indicator that WF's recruiting classes were under-ranked when those players were coming out of HS. Fully expect that trend to continue. Clawson is light years ahead of the recruiting rankings.

Wins and NFL signings speak volumes about the quality of guys that Clawson and staff are bringing to Wake. If Wake remains a consistent outlier in the recruit rankings to wins and NFL signings ratio, that isn't happening randomly. It speaks to superior recruiting.

Phil Haynes may be a prime example. Lightly recruited player because of limited experience. Clawson saw potential there. Now an NFL player, and starter at the end of the season as a rookie.

I suspect part of the slow recruiting is the value Clawson puts on seeing guys in person at camp. Camps didn't happen this spring.

Clawson said as much on that call a week or two ago.

Yep. And Les agreed.
Players ranking and team rankings are greatly influenced by the size of the school and number of subscribers.
Hence, a players bump when they flip from Wake to a bigger school or a decline when the flip from a big school to LOWF.
To paraphrase the Wizard, ‘Pay no attention to the numbers attached to those players’.
Instead, pay attention to our coaches’ in person assessments of the recruits.

Back