• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Good question.

He's a grad transfer but he's only played two years because he was injured his first two years. Looks like he'll be able to play two years immediately and I guess he could get a medical redshirt year as well.

Michigan DE transfer, Luiji Vilain, just committed to Wake. Former Top 60 player coming out of HS, but battled injuries through his first few seasons. Big time pickup!

Wow. Four star (0.9734), #57 national rank coming out of HS as 2017 fall recruit. Didn't play in 17 or 18. Played in 19 and 20. Best guess is "grad transfer" with two years of eligibility. Michigan listed him as a "senior" this season.

ETA:

If he is healthy, he is an impressive replacement for Shamar McCallum.

Last edited:
Awesome, hope he can blossom at Wake.

He was Academic All-B10 in 2018

I suppose he couldn't get a medical RS twice? This past season doesn't count, either.

He was Academic All-B10 in 2018

I suppose he couldn't get a medical RS twice? This past season doesn't count, either.

He only needs one medical redshirt year on top of his regular redshirt to get a third season of eligibility remaining.

I did say they'd be active in the transfer portal!

Frustrating I got fed bad info on the RB being younger and they had one of the better DL guys commit over ND/Wisconsin/Tennessee and then 24 hours later revert and return back to his original school, but overall it's been a more than fine haul for a team that wasn't so much looking for immediate starters and more of good depth pieces so they aren't constantly throwing freshman/guys who aren't ready yet into the fire, which has been the case at basically every position outside of the OL the last 3 years

Etienne coming back to Clemson was such a bad decision. Can't imagine that he improved his draft stock and lost one year of an already short career. Cost him at least $2.5MM I would guess.

Respectfully disagree with that assessment. Etienne worked very hard in the offseason and demonstrated during the year his versatility as a pass receiver as well as a hard running tackle breaker in addition to his well known sprinter's speed. Don't know where he'll be drafted but he's high on anybody's RB list now for sure.

Respectfully disagree with that assessment. Etienne worked very hard in the offseason and demonstrated during the year his versatility as a pass receiver as well as a hard running tackle breaker in addition to his well known sprinter's speed. Don't know where he'll be drafted but he's high on anybody's RB list now for sure.

He could have gotten paid to do that.

Have to agree that Etienne had literally zero reasons to come back. He was an absolute lock as a top pick and ACC POY (twice!!) and consensus first team AA.

Have to agree that Etienne had literally zero reasons to come back. He was an absolute lock as a top pick and ACC POY (twice!!) and consensus first team AA.

One reason to come back........maybe he, like some other players, really enjoy playing on their college team. Some teams are like families.
Once you leave college for the pros, you can’t go back. If you’re going to be making millions per year, doing one more year of college isn’t going to hurt financially ........unless you get hurt, of course.

He had his worst rushing stats of his entire four years his senior season. Yes, he made a mistake in coming back.

One reason to come back........maybe he, like some other players, really enjoy playing on their college team. Some teams are like families.
Once you leave college for the pros, you can’t go back. If you’re going to be making millions per year, doing one more year of college isn’t going to hurt financially ........unless you get hurt, of course.

Agree.
Obviously in terms of salary and and length of career it's apples and oranges, but how many of us took extra credits and went to summer school in order to graduate in 3 years instead of 4 in order to get a jump on our careers?

Agree.
Obviously in terms of salary and and length of career it's apples and oranges, but how many of us took extra credits and went to summer school in order to graduate in 3 years instead of 4 in order to get a jump on our careers?

Some do this, and not just athletes. My thesis advisor never graduated from high school or college. He only officially had MD and Ph.D. as degrees. He went to college after his junior year in high school. He was accepted to and went to medical school after three years of college.

Maybe he was like Tim Duncan, just enjoyed college life. I remember saying Tim saying he only had one chance to have a senior year iln college, but had a lot of years to make money. Worked out OK for him

Some chatter about Luigi and the Deacs on the Michigan board.

https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/luigi-vilain-transfers-wake-forest

1983c4e4-a18e-43b8-b456-244003f50521.jpg

BursleyHall82 January 26th, 2021 at 10:08 PM ^
Makhtar N'Diaye, Chaundee Brown, Christian Turner, Luiji Vilain ... that pipeline between Ann Arbor and Winston-Salem just keeps pumping.

——-

Seems like a good group of folks over there.

O wouldn't mind adding a four star corner to that list of guys going Michigan to Wake. Chaundee should be worth more than one running back.

Back