• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Wake had a guy miss half the season and make All-ACC(and made it the year before as well and was drafted), the guy who replaced him, the guy who replaced him had 73 tackles, 6.5 TFLs and 2 FF that year. The stats in 2019 actually looked slightly better with just Smenda and Williams. In 2020 the defensive coordinator admitted it was his fault for not putting them in the right places and making them have to make almost impossible plays until the back end got healthy and when it was they *shockingly* had their best games.

There is a very large gap between how coaches and the media see the linebackers and how fans see them and it's slightly frustrating

Fair enough. The coaches and you know a lot more than I do. I have pretty much thought it was more likely scheme issues than personnel, but when you see the same LBs miss tackle after tackle and/or that can’t move quickly enough sideline to sideline and help complete critical stops...well...it would seem that we need an upgrade to that unit. Hope I’m wrong. Good luck to Williams. Go Deacs!

Wake received a commitment from a PWO out of Georgia, Ryan Dupont. He apparently was committed to Air Force as a fullback before. I don't think he will be playing that position for us next year, probably some LB or something.

Interesting that Penn State made his top six without putting an offer on the table. That could be his dream school, but he is a backup plan for them.

That's kind of how I read that too. Interesting he has a Bama offer but isn't listing them...Maybe it's a noncommittal offer, or whatever Bama does.

That's kind of how I read that too. Interesting he has a Bama offer but isn't listing them...Maybe it's a noncommittal offer, or whatever Bama does.

Yeah. I figured he was one of the 3* backups to the 4* backup to the 5* prime recruit at Bama. He may have figured that out.

Yeah. I figured he was one of the 3* backups to the 4* backup to the 5* prime recruit at Bama. He may have figured that out.

Yeah I think Bama had adopted a “we’ll call you and let you know if you can come” approach to recruiting these days.

I think we are getting Madison Cone out of the portal guys. Would be a big time pick up and help our secondary out quite a bit.

Interesting that Penn State made his top six without putting an offer on the table. That could be his dream school, but he is a backup plan for them.

He can go somewhere else and if he has success use that school as an audition for Penn State in the portal.

Still a last place ranking in the ACC regarding recruits.

Why hasn't Clawson's success with the program resulted in an upgrade in recruiting? I'm not asking for competition with Clemson and FSU. But a middle of the pack class would be nice. If we could get 2-5 4 Stars it would probably put us there. i don't even think Green and Surratt got us out of last place.

Last edited:

Why hasn't Clawson's success with the program resulted in an upgrade in recruiting? I'm not asking for competition with Clemson and FSU. But a middle of the pack class would be nice. If we could get 2-5 Stars it would probably put us there. i don't even think Green and Surratt got us out of last place.

Here we go with this again. Clawson does not care about rankings. That's why.

Why hasn't Clawson's success with the program resulted in an upgrade in recruiting? I'm not asking for competition with Clemson and FSU. But a middle of the pack class would be nice. If we could get 2-5 Stars it would probably put us there. i don't even think Green and Surratt got us out of last place.

Perhaps I’m reading your comment incorrectly but there are less than 30 5 star CFB recruits every year. We will never get one. Ever.

I think we are getting Madison Cone out of the portal guys. Would be a big time pick up and help our secondary out quite a bit.

That would be fantastic. Anything in particular that makes you say that?

I am not against adding depth in the secondary, especially from a local guy. But what is the appeal of Cone (compared to potentially other CBs/S that may be on the market)?

Career 26 tackles, 2 picks, the most games he played in a season was 9 in 2019 as he switched to safety.

Last edited:
Man, if Wake ever plays a game where both teams are only allowed to use PWO's, then Wake should dominate.

I have always heard/assumed that Wake has had a hard time with practice squad/walk on quality and depth. It seems that is an issue that is being addressed the last few years.

You need to understand that for the 2021 class there were only 32 5-star recruits on 247. They went to a total of 16 schools. The only schools with multiple 5-star recruits for that cycle were tOSU, Miami, Alabam, Georgia, UNC-CH, and Clemson. There is one 5-star left and he is announcing today for Alabama, Florida, or Georgia (probably Alabama).

If Wake were to get two 5-star recruits in a single class, we would almost certainly be above the middle of the pack in the ACC.

There are hundreds of 4-star recruits and we didn't get any of those either.

You need to understand that for the 2021 class there were only 32 5-star recruits on 247. They went to a total of 16 schools. The only schools with multiple 5-star recruits for that cycle were tOSU, Miami, Alabam, Georgia, UNC-CH, and Clemson. There is one 5-star left and he is announcing today for Alabama, Florida, or Georgia (probably Alabama).

If Wake were to get two 5-star recruits in a single class, we would almost certainly be above the middle of the pack in the ACC.

There are hundreds of 4-star recruits and we didn't get any of those either.

I corrected it. I meant to say, "2-5 4-Stars". Somehow, I deleted the 4 when I went back to capitalize "Star"....

Last edited:
Back