• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

If our O is designed to let the QB keep and run, why haven't we recruited a QB for that? Can Kearn or Griffis run? Maybe they can and we've just never seen it in a game.

But I have wondered why we don't go for a more dynamic running QB, more like a Cunningham (Louisville) or Travis (FSU)....

I have often wondered what Clawson’s ideal QB looked liked. You can look at recent players he has offered, you see guys like Schrader, Sam Howell, Justin Fields, Luke Doty etc. Hinton was a QB who got almost as many TDs on the ground as on the air. Griffis again a solid runner on the ground. Kern not as much, nor Billy the Red Edwards. Marucci had 11 TDS on the ground his junior year. So it seems that running does come into the equation, except when it doesn’t. Edwards is clearly a developmental guy with a big arm, Kern seems more of the same.

To your point I would say Wake does go after those Dynamic running guys from time to time but for one reason or another doesn’t tend to get them. It seems that Wake ends up with more shifty runners than true speed guys. It shows in that the offense, as the one Sam is running is different than the one John did and Jamie as well. There could be intangibles that go into it as well. But when you look at the 4 starters that Clawson has used, it is tough to see a common theme.

Bullshit. I worked my ass off in tough courses at WF during my first 2 years. I was trying to get into law school and WF had grade deflation at the time. Someone who couldn’t get into WF out of high school and attended an easy cc for 2 years shouldn’t have been able to transfer in and get the same degree except under special circumstances. This is the policy WF has always used. Otherwise, it would be nuts to attend WF for 4 years. Just save $$ and take English Comp, foreign language, calculus, biology, etc at a cc. You can do that at UNC and most state schools, but not WFU.

Relax there, Sparky. Your 4-year transcript from WFU will still carry more weight at a professional school than someone with two years at a cc. Not everyone who goes to Wake is trying to get into law or med school; maybe just somebody of modest means and family circumstances who would like to be a teacher or a civil servant, but can't justify spending $$ for a 4-year degree. Or, their ability to come from rural NC with a community college degree and as a 1st generation college grad is enough to get them into somewhere like NC Central law and a decent career in a small-town practice. Regardless, setting aside a small pool of spots for non-traditional students won't affect your life or mine, just like admitting a bunch of athletes who major in Communication doesn't.

I took a few divisionals at NC State and transferred the credit on towards my degree. Guess I devalued 22’s hard work from half a century ago. Sorry not sorry.

Relax there, Sparky. Your 4-year transcript from WFU will still carry more weight at a professional school than someone with two years at a cc. Not everyone who goes to Wake is trying to get into law or med school; maybe just somebody of modest means and family circumstances who would like to be a teacher or a civil servant, but can't justify spending $$ for a 4-year degree. Or, their ability to come from rural NC with a community college degree and as a 1st generation college grad is enough to get them into somewhere like NC Central law and a decent career in a small-town practice. Regardless, setting aside a small pool of spots for non-traditional students won't affect your life or mine, just like admitting a bunch of athletes who major in Communication doesn't.
I agree with WF’s policy in doing that.

I agree with WF’s policy in doing that.

What changed since you posted this?

Bullshit. I worked my ass off in tough courses at WF during my first 2 years. I was trying to get into law school and WF had grade deflation at the time. Someone who couldn’t get into WF out of high school and attended an easy cc for 2 years shouldn’t have been able to transfer in and get the same degree except under special circumstances.

Juco is a dead issue cuz portal. We don't have a need for this old school way of team building.

A small pool of spots = under special circumstances
I mean that's generally gonna be the case for wake with all xfers. I actually started at GT and went to UNCG for a year before transferring to wake

I mean that's generally gonna be the case for wake with all xfers. I actually started at GT and went to UNCG for a year before transferring to wake

We’ll obviously you’re going to have to turn in your degree or retake the courses you did at UNCG at Wake.

Stop devaluing my degree, you lazy ass!

I have often wondered what Clawson’s ideal QB looked liked. You can look at recent players he has offered, you see guys like Schrader, Sam Howell, Justin Fields, Luke Doty etc. Hinton was a QB who got almost as many TDs on the ground as on the air. Griffis again a solid runner on the ground. Kern not as much, nor Billy the Red Edwards. Marucci had 11 TDS on the ground his junior year. So it seems that running does come into the equation, except when it doesn’t. Edwards is clearly a developmental guy with a big arm, Kern seems more of the same.

To your point I would say Wake does go after those Dynamic running guys from time to time but for one reason or another doesn’t tend to get them. It seems that Wake ends up with more shifty runners than true speed guys. It shows in that the offense, as the one Sam is running is different than the one John did and Jamie as well. There could be intangibles that go into it as well. But when you look at the 4 starters that Clawson has used, it is tough to see a common theme.

I think his ideal QB is a 6'4 version of John Wolford. Same grit, speed, accuracy, IQ, etc.

Just bigger

We’ll obviously you’re going to have to turn in your degree or retake the courses you did at UNCG at Wake.

Stop devaluing my degree, you lazy ass!
False equivalent. Transferring from another university or taking a few courses at another school is not remotely related to 2 years at a cc.

Adjuncts and PhD students teach a lot of Intro courses at large universities. The same people teach those same courses at community colleges.

I mean how much derivation can there be in accounting 101?

I think his ideal QB is a 6'4 version of John Wolford. Same grit, speed, accuracy, IQ, etc.

Just bigger

I think that's a good description. You have to be mobile and able to throw on the run/roll out, smart, shifty, and fast top end. Wofford a little bigger means able to take more punishment as a runner.

Kyler Murray would fit nicely in our offense. Might help on the diamond too...

I would like to see some QB's that are 6 foot 2 and taller but can still move. We seem to be a magnet for 5'10" guys. There is a dual threat guy from Atlanta that came to campus recently that was 6'2" and over 200.

Any reports on Santino Marucci? Feels like a guy we were really excited to win in recruiting but don’t feel like I’ve heard anything about him. I actually just went back to make sure we didn’t lose him at signing day and I had forgotten it.

Back