• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Any reports on Santino Marucci? Feels like a guy we were really excited to win in recruiting but don’t feel like I’ve heard anything about him. I actually just went back to make sure we didn’t lose him at signing day and I had forgotten it.

He is being redshirted. He got in for one series in the Norfolk State game. Minus 3 total yards rushing.

From 247 sports:
UNSUNG SUPPORT STAFFERS BUILDING GREAT ROSTERS
Two teams having dynamite and unexpected seasons this year in the ACC are NC State (5-1) and Wake Forest (6-0).

I want to give a shoutout to NC State’s Director of Player Personnel Merci Falaise, and Director of Scouting Corey Phillips, and Wake Forest’s Director of Recruiting Chris Coulter. These men are playing integral parts within their programs recruiting and roster building. They are finding the right guys for their programs, scheme, fit, and culture. They have built extensive and credible relationships with high school programs throughout the country. Having the right guys in your recruiting department has become just as important if not more in some cases to the position coaches you hire.

Carl Reed is a College Football A

Brendan Clarke, a 2019 QB commit who changed to Notre Dame is transferring.

Brendan Clarke, a 2019 QB commit who changed to Notre Dame is transferring.

We’ve had a few QBs that have de-committed and gone somewhere else. Seems like most have either never played or transferred.

why would we want him?

Would depend on how the staff evaluates him now vs. when they took his commitment. He was a good runner and had a strong and accurate arm (35 TDs, 1 pick in HS). He has good size at 6-2, 225. Big question would be the status of his knee after two surgeries.

WF has 4 scholarship QBs on the roster. Hartman has two years of eligibility left after this season. The other three have 3 or more years of eligibility left. WF has another QB coming in January. WF is not taking a transfer portal QB, absent mass attrition at that spot, which seems unlikely.

Why would we want a transfer QB who is transferring because he couldn't even beat out Jack Coan? Coan is worse than Hartman, who will be our starting QB at least one more year if not two more.

i do think our depth at qb is potentially a big risk for the next few years. obviously way too little to make a real call, but kern and griffis have not looked like guys who are playable at the acc level (again, from the very little we’ve seen)

i do think our depth at qb is potentially a big risk for the next few years. obviously way too little to make a real call, but kern and griffis have not looked like guys who are playable at the acc level (again, from the very little we’ve seen)

I feel like it's pretty likely that one of Kern, Marucci, Griffis, or the other Griffis will emerge as a capable ACC QB. But yeah, we've enjoyed stability at the QB position that likely won't last forever.

Realize that it's not a lot to go on, but love Kern's arm.

WF has 4 scholarship QBs on the roster. Hartman has two years of eligibility left after this season. The other three have 3 or more years of eligibility left. WF has another QB coming in January. WF is not taking a transfer portal QB, absent mass attrition at that spot, which seems unlikely.

I think we have 5. Hartman, Kern, Griffis, Mariucci, and Edwards with Griffis 2 coming in in january

Ruggiero could teach this offense to anyone. His track record proves that. QB is the last position I'm worried about as long as he is here.

Hartman's X factor hasn't been his arm or his legs, but the ice water running through his veins.

Ruggiero could teach this offense to anyone. His track record proves that. QB is the last position I'm worried about as long as he is here.

Hartman's X factor hasn't been his arm or his legs, but the ice water running through his veins.

And the wetware between his ears. Hartman has been really good with his decision making. That is what makes the offense so dangerous. That usually is a factor of experience.

"How do you make such good decisions?"
"Experience."
"How did you get experience?"
"Bad decisions."

Sam was thrown into the fire as a true freshman, without a lot of practice time. Then he got his four game redshirt year watching Jamie. Then his Covid year. Now we are seeing the results of him being a fourth year guy with lots of game and practice reps reading defenses.

Back