• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Everything except playing time for the next 5 years.

Based on what? You think a highly ranked QB is going to look at our QB room and be scared off by a bunch of 3 stars? That’s not to say the QBs aren’t good but as a HS recruit the main way they will judge QBs is to look at their recruiting rankings. Other schools competing for top QB recruits have 4 and 5 stars clogging the depth charts. Clawson has twice started true freshman QBs since he has been at Wake which shows he doesn’t care about seniority. The opportunity is 100% there for playing time. If they come in, they will be given a fair chance to win the job. We should have a better pitch to QBs this cycle than all but a few places.

Exactly. We can tell a kid that he can come to Wake and compete on Day 1 for a starting job against a bunch of guys who have no starting experience for a coach who has started true freshmen twice who basically got to start their entire careers. That could be a compelling pitch for a guy who otherwise may otherwise chose to be the second 4* QB in his class or to play behind an experienced starter or behind a 5* expected starter. And it's a low risk pitch because Ruggiero's QB room is already full.

Based on what? You think a highly ranked QB is going to look at our QB room and be scared off by a bunch of 3 stars? That’s not to say the QBs aren’t good but as a HS recruit the main way they will judge QBs is to look at their recruiting rankings. Other schools competing for top QB recruits have 4 and 5 stars clogging the depth charts. Clawson has twice started true freshman QBs since he has been at Wake which shows he doesn’t care about seniority. The opportunity is 100% there for playing time. If they come in, they will be given a fair chance to win the job. We should have a better pitch to QBs this cycle than all but a few places.

All I can say is Clawson is very, very content with his current QB room. He has said in a private setting that the current QB room is his best ever (and that includes the tenure of Hinton, Wofford and Newman who overlapped). While we have not seen much from Kern and the others, he has. I tend to think that Clawson and Ruggiero know what they are doing with QB's. There may of course be room for a stud 4 star recruit for 2023 after spring ball and some folks decide to take their chances on Portal-roulette.

Clawson and Ruggiero may be happy with what they have in the QB room now. He has also generally planned to add 1 QB per year. And he has talked about continuous improvement. So if a 4* QB for 23 or 24 who "fits" Wake wants to commit, IMHO, they take him.

All I can say is Clawson is very, very content with his current QB room. He has said in a private setting that the current QB room is his best ever (and that includes the tenure of Hinton, Wofford and Newman who overlapped). While we have not seen much from Kern and the others, he has. I tend to think that Clawson and Ruggiero know what they are doing with QB's. There may of course be room for a stud 4 star recruit for 2023 after spring ball and some folks decide to take their chances on Portal-roulette.

that's obviously great news, but can't imagine that has any impact on us trying to get the best quarterback possible in the 2023 class, and my point was just that the pieces add up big time between the trajectory of the program and our offense, the notoriety hartman is getting and not having any experienced QBs on the roster. also worth noting that if you listen to clawson's comments from the past, he's definitely not perfect at predicting the individual players who are gonna be successful.

The real point is that we usually put out several offers to highly ranked QBs before ending up taking a guy we like who is ranked lower -- i think we should be able to get one of our top picks this cycle.

With Redshirt year, Covid year and summer school, Wake may be graduating "sophomores."

Think Kern would be very good if given the chance. Very good. Understand that he's very happy at WF, which is why he hasn't transferred.

Not saying WF is Alabama, in any way, but the common assumption is that there will be major regression when a star player leaves, but great programs have players ready to step in and play at a high level. Think WF has that with our QBs. That said, if a more talented HS player is interested in WF (and based upon production over the last couple of years, there aren't many schools that are more attractive to QBs and WRs than WF), WF should recruit him. That's what great programs do, they make deep position groups even deeper.

I agree about Kern. I’d really like to see him get extended minutes actually running the offense.

I agree about Kern. I’d really like to see him get extended minutes actually running the offense.

Agreed. Tallest of the bunch and can run. Appears to have a good arm as well.

Accurate passing is more important then pure arm strength in the Wake offense. Does Kern or one or more of the guys not named Sam Hartman have that? Or is that still TBD?

Kern's cameo appearance in the Clemson game this year was a highlight, but IIRC he's been pretty unimpressive in other very limited minutes (specifically thinking Duke and last year's Mayo bowl). What does that mean? Probably close to nothing (similarly we shouldn't get too excited because of one pass in the Clemson game).

Kern's cameo appearance in the Clemson game this year was a highlight, but IIRC he's been pretty unimpressive in other very limited minutes (specifically thinking Duke and last year's Mayo bowl). What does that mean? Probably close to nothing (similarly we shouldn't get too excited because of one pass in the Clemson game).

He also had a nice pass to AT 2 years ago against Elon!

Why did Griffis get so many more snaps than Kern this year in garbage time? If kern is next man up you’d think that game action would be beneficial.

Why did Griffis get so many more snaps than Kern this year in garbage time? If kern is next man up you’d think that game action would be beneficial.

Prior to this season, Kern had seen (very limited) action in 8 games. I suspect the coaches wanted to see what Griffis could do in live game action.

We seldom give our back-up QBs meaningful snaps when we have the chance. Handing off, throwing only on third downs if at all, and not playing with the first team does not do much to develop QBs in real time.

We seldom give our back-up QBs meaningful snaps when we have the chance. Handing off, throwing only on third downs if at all, and not playing with the first team does not do much to develop QBs in real time.

I wonder if the coach’s have thought of that 🎶🤔

More a question if they will do it. Not anything here they do not know or have experienced despite each of our high levels of expertise.

The plan should be get up by 28 points in the first half against VMI, then let Kern play several quarters and throw 7-10 passes and actually run the offense.

Maybe Liberty game as well, but Liberty is pretty good, and we may need Hartman the entire game. Perhaps give Kern a series or something in that game.

He looked poised in the 2 games I saw him this year.

Back