• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

When you get good, you have options and depth. Gone are the days of "the good news is everybody is back, the bad news is everybody is back". Our ability to attract quality players through the portal lets us get that quality experience. Not every one has to be an all-star. This is a great pick-up that should make us better.

Until Wake puts a quality defense on the field for a season, you can’t say gone are the days. We have a lot back from a mediocre and at times quite bad defense. We have a new DC and some new players. This D needs to demonstrate it can be a strength.

Until Wake puts a quality defense on the field for a season, you can’t say gone are the days. We have a lot back from a mediocre and at times quite bad defense. We have a new DC and some new players. This D needs to demonstrate it can be a strength.

I'm not sure the pieces are the problem. I have felt for several years that the individual talent was better than the final result. Wake might not have Clemson talent on D, but there has been too much talent to get the results we have seen. I'm sure that is why there are several new defensive coaches.

Appears we got our QB for the 2023 class. Charlie Gilliam. Think he is a riser.

Maybe they can start to do that in September. Let’s see.

Our defense isn't great, but they're put in terrible position in most games because our offense scores so fast. With our lack of depth, putting the defense on the field for 45 minutes a game is playing with fire every week. Call me crazy, but I would love to see our offense sustain a 6 to 7 minute drive from time to time.

Seemed like McMickle was also getting some interest for this class. Do you have any notion of which of the two they preferred more for this year?

Gilliam. They've tracked him for longer, Gilliam threw for them on June 3rd while McMickle threw for them the next day. Given Charlie got the first offer, safe to say they preferred him

I'm not sure the pieces are the problem. I have felt for several years that the individual talent was better than the final result. Wake might not have Clemson talent on D, but there has been too much talent to get the results we have seen. I'm sure that is why there are several new defensive coaches.

My feeling is that our defense will have improved coaching, talent and depth this season, and, therefore, will perform better. I’m one who has been very disappointed in the defense the past few years, so I really hope we’ll take a significant step up. If so, this will be a very fun season.
I also agree with the comment about having a few time-consuming drives. If our Oline and running game can deliver, this is doable. It will help rest our defense and hopefully wear down the opposing defense. Would be interesting to hear the coaches thoughts and strategy on this.

I think with a new system and some new coaches, we will have to score 40+ against Vandy (early “competitive” non con game) but the D will start clicking about 4/5 games in (hopefully by the Clemson game)

Gilliam. They've tracked him for longer, Gilliam threw for them on June 3rd while McMickle threw for them the next day. Given Charlie got the first offer, safe to say they preferred him

McMickle committed to Houston the day after Gilliam committed to Wake. Could be coincidence or he could have been holding out for the Wake offer.

Also how do we not offer a TE named Deakon? He is wasted at Michigan with a name like that.

4* CB prospect, Antonio Robinson, may be announcing a commitment Friday. Go Deacs!

4* CB prospect, Antonio Robinson, may be announcing a commitment Friday. Go Deacs!

Robinson has a deep and impressive offer list, including:

Texas
Florida
LSU
Miami
Michigan
Penn State
UVA
VT
UNC
Arkansas

Would be a big time get.

Texas
Florida
LSU
Miami
Michigan
Penn State
UVA
VT
UNC
Arkansas

Would be a big time get.

He's coming off a Wake visit and bumped up his commitment date. We also just got a crystal ball for him. He would be a very big win for us.

Texas
Florida
LSU
Miami
Michigan
Penn State
UVA
VT
UNC
Arkansas

Would be a big time get.

Given that several prognosticators project WF as a Top 15 team preseason, most of those teams are lesser programs compared to WF. If you want to go to the NFL WF is the smarter choice than many on that list. Insiders are catching up to this reality as much as outsiders.

Given that several prognosticators project WF as a Top 15 team preseason, most of those teams are lesser programs compared to WF. If you want to go to the NFL WF is the smarter choice than many on that list. Insiders are catching up to this reality as much as outsiders.

Do you the numbers to back up your NFL claim?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/college/_/letter/w

Last edited:

"If you want to go to the NFL" Wake forest is a better choice than less programs like Texas (26 players in the NFL), Florida (32), LSU (46), Michigan (32), Miami (25) and Penn State (31).

I love this board.

Back