• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Both are impressive, but the 400 time more so than the triple jump.

Both are impressive, but the 400 time more so than the triple jump.

yes, agreed

Mays would be on the cusp of making the final at the ACC championships in the 400 - 46.5 or so would do it, and he would get there in two years if he ran track exclusively (he will probably get there by just running track)

He would need a 50' triple jump to score at ACC

have to believe the universe of high school juniors who run a 47 low and TJ 45 high is pretty small

yes, agreed

Mays would be on the cusp of making the final at the ACC championships in the 400 - 46.5 or so would do it, and he would get there in two years if he ran track exclusively (he will probably get there by just running track)

He would need a 50' triple jump to score at ACC

have to believe the universe of high school juniors who run a 47 low and TJ 45 high is pretty small

He would have another HS season to improve those numbers, unless he arrives at Wake in January.

He would have another HS season to improve those numbers, unless he arrives at Wake in January.

Hopefully, he will early enroll. He has natural ability in track and improving those numbers is cool, but useless for Wake football and his football career. He would be better served spending 4 months squatting and pressing and adding weight than trying to shave a second off his 400m time.

Anyone notice the improvement in recruiting also resulted in a decreased number of commits from NC? The recruiting algorithm /territory theory used to be perceived as being better/higher likelihood of recruiting success for shorter driving distances to campus. Potentially, on the field success is improving that variable/factor.

Anyone notice the improvement in recruiting also resulted in a decreased number of commits from NC? The recruiting algorithm /territory theory used to be perceived as being better/higher likelihood of recruiting success for shorter driving distances to campus. Potentially, on the field success is improving that variable/factor.

It wasn't just "short drive." It was within reasonable driving distance so parents, friends etc. could see the recruit play. And I think it was something like a five or six hour drive. Distances shorter than that were of limited value in increasing the likelihood of signing a player. NoVa (Washington, DC) and Georgia are at the edge of that radius circle.

5 of 13 in this year's freshman class are from NC, which is at or a little higher than usual NC ratio in previous classes. (included Jalen Swindell, who's already transferred)

I think this year's lack of NC players is a bit of an anomaly. It's not like they ignored the state, just didn't get who they wanted (Sullivan Absher, Jaybron Harvey, Kamen Smith).

It wasn't just "short drive." It was within reasonable driving distance so parents, friends etc. could see the recruit play. And I think it was something like a five or six hour drive. Distances shorter than that were of limited value in increasing the likelihood of signing a player. NoVa (Washington, DC) and Georgia are at the edge of that radius circle.

I understand and I'm not trying to argue here and the recruits look great, however, the points I made are still true. Don't you think there was probably improved factor(s)/success rate in the algorithm with shorter driving distances? For example, a driving time of 0 - 4 hours having a higher likelihood/better impact on the algorithm than a drive of 4 - 8 hours or 8 -12 hours, etc.?

Doesn't it appear on the surface that Wake is getting more recruits from further distances? Or maybe it's just statistically insignificant having a few outliers?

I'm not even sure if the coaches still use the algorithm in any meaningful way. At the time when the article about it originally came out, it just made sense that programs would be looking at and tracking data for improved retention and success.

5 of 13 in this year's freshman class are from NC, which is at or a little higher than usual NC ratio in previous classes. (included Jalen Swindell, who's already transferred)

I think this year's lack of NC players is a bit of an anomaly. It's not like they ignored the state, just didn't get who they wanted (Sullivan Absher, Jaybron Harvey, Kamen Smith).

Thanks for your input. Probably, just an anomaly but the recruits also seem to be trending upwards with more Power 5 offers. Winning and national exposure in the top 25 for sustained periods of time/years will likely have positive impacts on the continued improvements in recruiting.

Last edited:
The 6 hour radius was actually about the ability to get recruits in for unofficial visits. It was one of the intentional strategies that Clawson laid out day 1 that made me think he was going to be successful.

Sullivan and Jaybron were two they wanted they didn't get, alongside Noah Rogers(he's that guy)

Kamen was the same level in their eyes as Kyland Armstrong so they felt fine there. I know they felt as if Steih was on the same level as an Absher(if not higher) but would've taken both.

Biggest thing I've heard from non-Wake people, hell of a lot of these guys either couldn't get in or stay in. Meanwhile I look at the guys in the class: Robinson seemed... more football focused but great student, Kerrington is essentially the model of guy they wanted, Mays reminds them of AT, McRae, Barnes, Walton, Sam Williams(who Stanford still wants), Egbe, all super high academic ids that just happen to be good at football.

Not saying NC doesn't have those types of guys and they were after guys like Semaj Turner and Dashawn Stone, but they're just not a team that is going to say in-state guys take priority over others and they honest hit on either their top target/tier 1 guys at all but two positions tbh

Hopefully, he will early enroll. He has natural ability in track and improving those numbers is cool, but useless for Wake football and his football career. He would be better served spending 4 months squatting and pressing and adding weight than trying to shave a second off his 400m time.

I'd be a little bit shocked if he came in early. There's a ton of guys already coming in so i's going to be a matter of both how the numbers of people leaving work out and if he wants to leave school early. A lot of guys want to enjoy their second semester senior year. And running track is very important to him, a bunch of colleges were trying to pitch doing both once he graduated and gained a bunch of traction because of it

I'd be a little bit shocked if he came in early. There's a ton of guys already coming in so i's going to be a matter of both how the numbers of people leaving work out and if he wants to leave school early. A lot of guys want to enjoy their second semester senior year. And running track is very important to him, a bunch of colleges were trying to pitch doing both once he graduated and gained a bunch of traction because of it

Hey whatever floats his boat. My point was more about lifting being more important (to Wake FB) than shaving some time off his 400m.

There's a long history of football/track standouts in college. Even at WF: John Stone and Michael Brown. If you look at Spring Track and Field Championships for almost every Power V conference there are football players exceling in the sprint events.

There's a long history of football/track standouts in college. Even at WF: John Stone and Michael Brown. If you look at Spring Track and Field Championships for almost every Power V conference there are football players exceling in the sprint events.

+Jammie Deese, Reggie Austin, Willie Idlette, Kevin Marion, etc

Yes. Being able to run fast is an indicator of being good at football. He can already do that. Can he squat 405? He weighs 175 lbs. Working on which point in the backstretch he should start his kick so he can be better at the 400m is not going to make him a better football player. This is really not that hard to understand, yet here we are.

Yes. Being able to run fast is an indicator of being good at football. He can already do that. Can he squat 405? He weighs 175 lbs. Working on which point in the backstretch he should start his kick so he can be better at the 400m is not going to make him a better football player. This is really not that hard to understand, yet here we are.

if running track is "very important to him", as was stated by an insider on this thread, then he's probably going to run track this spring, and he may well continue to do so at least for his first year or two at WF. This is really not that hard to understand, yet here we are.

if running track is "very important to him", as was stated by an insider on this thread, then he's probably going to run track this spring, and he may well continue to do so at least for his first year or two at WF. This is really not that hard to understand, yet here we are.

Which I replied "whatever floats his boat"

Reading isn't hard, yet here we are.

indeed. Here we are.

can you please direct me to the quote which was posted by someone who misunderstood you?

Your previous post would seem like a good place to start. Unless I don't understand the point being made by you or Pilchard, listing guys that probably wouldn't start on this version of Wake's football team as an example of why a player wouldn't be better off enrolling early and spending some time in the weight room, doesn't add up. If the kid wants to run track, then he is free to run his little legs off. My only point was it would be good for him to get in here early and start lifting instead of running laps.

Back