• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Any idea what Kam Uter is up to? Last I heard he was out of the minors.

We have connected with a few good players out of the New Orleans area- long way away and a culture change for sure but with the quality of players from LA (and Texas) I hope we keep working the area.

Updated List of 2018 Targets

KAYMAR MIMES (Long Branch HS / Long Branch, NJ) – Rutgers and Wake Forest have offered. Has a brother that plays for the Raiders. Wants to be a lawyer. My guess is that he is more of Plan B for Wake. He’ll visit Rutgers and UConn before the early signing day.

Interesting to see Mimes - Ja'Sir Taylor was a late in the game NJ prospect last year. Mimes plays in the same conference as Taylor's HS (OK but not great competition) so wondering what is bringing us up into that territory (coach handling the territory or just our recruiting guys finding one off players). On a related note - Pitt's Frosh QB that beat Miami this past week played in the same conference.

WR Atorian Perry tweeted that Coach Higgins was in FL for an in-home visit.

A month or two ago we were pursuing a RB from Georgia I believe who had a unique name. What happened to him?

Last edited:
Good point, we don’t have a RB in this class. As this season has shown, we could always use RBs.

Any idea what Kam Uter is up to? Last I heard he was out of the minors.

Dodgers released Uter in July. No baseball team picked him up since. Could not find anything indicating that he would now pursue football. On twitter, Uter identifies himself as a baseball player and musician.

Good point, we don’t have a RB in this class. As this season has shown, we could always use RBs.

we should not forget about Nick Bell coming back from his torn ACL. He was tough as a freshman, but played mainly only in pass protection his sophomore year. He is a solid back as well.

Tyler Bell. Good point. He had a solid freshman year. I think we're just seeing the evolution of a program. More experienced players get replaced by more talented recruits. Wolford managed to hold off Hinton, but we're seeing this across the offensive depth chart.

94, it was Chad Hudland that we got from a TCU commit. When Weaver beat him out, he transferred back home and finished up at SMU.

I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that we will have an RB in this class. Looks like the spots might be DT, WR and DE.

I found this interesting. I looked up Greg Dortch and what he was ranked by 247 coming out of HS. They only had him as a 2*.

Search Players
Embed Player

GREG
DORTCH
HIGH SCHOOL
WR 5-8 150 AGE 19 YRS CLASS OF 16
HIGHLAND SPRINGS, VA
(HIGHLAND SPRINGS)
— 247SPORTS COMPOSITE —
0.7937 ?
NATL. RANK
WR RANK
VA RANK
247SPORTS 79
NATL. RK 2054
WR RK 292
VA RK 69

I found this interesting. I looked up Greg Dortch and what he was ranked by 247 coming out of HS. They only had him as a 2*.

Search Players
Embed Player

GREG
DORTCH
HIGH SCHOOL
WR 5-8 150 AGE 19 YRS CLASS OF 16
HIGHLAND SPRINGS, VA
(HIGHLAND SPRINGS)
— 247SPORTS COMPOSITE —
0.7937 ?
NATL. RANK
WR RANK
VA RANK
247SPORTS 79
NATL. RK 2054
WR RK 292
VA RK 69

Dortch is too small to play D1 football........

These were the receivers in VA ranked ahead of Dortch in the HS Class of 2016 by 247 and their ranking within VA and # of stars (you would think that the rating services could at least have a clue ranking the players in the same area that play against some of the same competition):

#2 - 4 star - Scott Bracey - 8 receptions 73 yards 0 TDs (Duke, yes Duke inked the #2 rated recruit in VA, but he was not the player that Dortch is)
#13 - 3 star - Grant Holloway - Quit football to run track at Florida (FL)
#15 - 3 star - Eric Kumah - 23 catches 252 yards 2 TDs (VT)
#17 - 3 star - Phil Patterson - 2 receptions 29 yards 0 TDs (VT)
#18 - 3 star - Joe Reed - 21 receptions 232 yards 2 TDs (UVA)
#22 - 3 star - Cole Blackman - appeared in 4 games in as freshman did not catch a pass (UVA)
#32 - 3 star - Donaven Tennyson 8 receptions 117 yards 0 TDs for the season (Vandy)

#64 - 2 star - Greg Dortch 53 catches 722 yards 9 TDs (more yards and TDs than the above-group combined) All-ACC honors as a receiver and an all-purpose player (may have been the ACC FOY if not for his spleen injury).

BTW, it's not like Dortch was an unknown quantity in VA his senior year. His HS, Highland Springs won the 5A State Championship - Dortch was the Richmond area POY of the year as senior in HS, and he was MVP of the State Championship game. Love exposing how flawed recruiting rankings are.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see how Beal develops next year. Many of these rating agencies probably haven't interviewed a 2* to see his make up. That's why I trust our coaches to find the players they want. If they're wrong, they pay a price. They rating agencies don't.

These were the receivers in VA ranked ahead of Dortch in the HS Class of 2016 by 247 and their ranking within VA and # of stars (you would think that the rating services could at least have a clue ranking the players in the same area that play against some of the same competition):

#2 - 4 star - Scott Bracey - 8 receptions 73 yards 0 TDs (Duke, yes Duke inked the #2 rated recruit in VA, but he was not the player that Dortch is)
#13 - 3 star - Grant Holloway - Quit football to run track at Florida (FL)
#15 - 3 star - Eric Kumah - 23 catches 252 yards 2 TDs (VT)
#17 - 3 star - Phil Patterson - 2 receptions 29 yards 0 TDs (VT)
#18 - 3 star - Joe Reed - 21 receptions 232 yards 2 TDs (UVA)
#22 - 3 star - Cole Blackman - appeared in 4 games in as freshman did not catch a pass (UVA)
#32 - 3 star - Donaven Tennyson 8 receptions 117 yards 0 TDs for the season (Vandy)

#64 - 2 star - Greg Dortch 53 catches 722 yards 9 TDs (more yards and TDs than the above-group combined) All-ACC honors as a receiver and an all-purpose player (may have been the ACC FOY if not for his spleen injury).

BTW, it's not like Dortch was an unknown quantity in VA his senior year. His HS, Highland Springs won the 5A State Championship - Dortch was the Richmond area POY of the year as senior in HS, and he was MVP of the State Championship game. Love exposing how flawed recruiting rankings are.

Recruiting ratings by offers isn't a very meritorious system, even if it results in colorable accuracy most of the time. Yet as often as we find diamonds in the rough among our recruits, I will always maintain that a recruiting strategy predicated on doing just that doesn't bode well for the program. Or any program. Yet it's often all we have. It remains true that on the whole the higher ranked recruiting teams correspond to better on field performances and records.

Recruiting ratings by offers isn't a very meritorious system, even if it results in colorable accuracy most of the time. Yet as often as we find diamonds in the rough among our recruits, I will always maintain that a recruiting strategy predicated on doing just that doesn't bode well for the program. Or any program. Yet it's often all we have. It remains true that on the whole the higher ranked recruiting teams correspond to better on field performances and records.

There is a big difference between basketball and football. In basketball, the top players face off against each other, and the even with more D-1 programs, recruiting classes are small. Football is far less accurate.

There is no doubt that there is some degree in accuracy in rating the top 100 players in the country (any idiot can look at 6-4 320 pound manchild Dexter Lawrence in HS and agree that he is special; so, when Clemson signs him over Bama and FSU; the rankings based on signing players of that type are likely to result in wins down the road for Clemson), maybe even the top 300 players in the nation, and so, the rankings based on the very top end of the available players have some validity. But, there are about 2500 football players that sign with FBS programs each year. Distinguising between #389 and #681 is not very accurate.

So, for teams like Bama and tOSU, it's not hard to determine how well they recruited, and the rankings are reasonably accurate at the top end. After the top 300, which amounts to the top 6 to 8 in a state like VA or NC, the ratings are not very accurate. As Dortch example presents, the 247 "recruiting" expert assigned to VA, just isn't as good at determining the 3rd best OG in VA as a college assistant coach assigned to the region. So, yes, when a school signs that the most 5 stars (and even 4 stars), that school is going to generally be, but not always, better than a school that signs 3 and 2 stars, but beyond that, when 247 tries to rank whether the 3 or 2 stars signed by Indiana or Minnesota or Texas Tech or Arizona State or Vandy or Iowa State are better than the 3 stars and 2 stars signed by WF, Duke or State, those rankings have no reliable degree of accuracy.

Last edited:

Without hat ceremonies, all is lost.

Back